Blind Alleys in Car Design

warren t claim

sd1 where the dash was teh same either side for ease of rhd/lhd

no other makers did that........

As well as the afore-mentioned Land Rover there's the Morris Minor and Mini. I get where you're aiming at, as the speedo binnacle on the SD1 just swaps with the glovebox or something. I reckon other cars have done similar though, just can't think of any!

And, until they ceased production, the LDV Convoy. I believe.

Maybe.

Not technically a car either, but it fits the Autoshite vibe.

but I can't think of a modern family motor that does.

Have Mercedes ditched the single wiper now? With it's weird jumping action. XJ40's had single ones also.

As did Isuzu Piazzas. They also had the washer jet built into the wiper arm.

CX had a single wiper from '74.

Digital dashboards and electronics were almost inevitable but what about the PRE-electronic digital dashboards! I'm talking about the Mercedes-Benz Heckflosse with its colour changing graph, the GS, CX and BX with their magnified, perma-lit drum speedos and the Oldsmobile Toronado with a similar drum type speedo but horizontal. There's something about these aborted works of art that I adore.

Looking at WATs C4, I think this was the only car not to have the centre of the steering wheel turn.
Wasn't there a concept pontiac from the 80s that did that? The current C5 model has this too.

I think the Wat-spec C4 has a great dashboard

Have Mercedes ditched the single wiper now? With it's weird jumping action.

The 190D we had was ace for that, it poked right up almost to the corners of the screen, it mesmerised me!

What about faired-in back wheels?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1leEHhTLS0CqIIhJChqNrkMjlegmIvTamVKW7VRIxq2-gjcDVl57rDhkQ

I was just thinking they had gone, but many eco-chariots have 'em, perhaps reflecting those 1980's electric concept cars.

Is it called "i" ? There may or may not be an electric one, too.

I've always thought it's a shame that the Smart For4 (is that its name?) has a conventional layout. It looks good but would have been more interesting had they stuck with the RR setup.

Maybe manufacturers are now too scared to try something like that for a family car, for fear of today's motoring public not knowing how to drive them, then being buried under an avalanche of litigation and bad press as the numpties roll them/back them into ditches/kill children etc etc etc.

Wankel engine. Finally reaching the end of the road I understand. :cry:

Yep when the RX8 bows out the Wankel will be assigned to the history books. Out of interest was there any actual performance improvement from the Wankel? All I have heard about them was that they were pretty heavy on the fuel.

Even back in the '60s people were saying the same. There was always some confusion over engine cc depending on whether they counted one chamber or all three, but if you count one chamber the Wankel engine promised the power of a 2 litre from 900cc. Critics said they also had the thirst of a 2 litre so it was the answer to a question that nobody asked :?

I expect Ford's fancy grill on the new focus will be a blind alley foor the future.

Because I'm old, sad and miserable, when I saw the advert for that I instantly shouted "Jensen 541" at the TV

Looking at WATs C4, I think this was the only car not to have the centre of the steering wheel turn.
Wasn't there a concept pontiac from the 80s that did that? The current C5 model has this too.

I think the Wat-spec C4 has a great dashboard

loads of 30s, 40s and 50s stuff had the steering wheel centre not turney feature!

back to blind alleys, what about gearbox in sump designs? Stuff like transverse A series and PSA suitcase engines where the engine oil also lubricates a gearbox housed directly below the crank.... Are there any current designs using this system?

The other one that springs to mind is hydrolastic/hydragas. Did it die with the metro?

Has anyone mentioned the air cooled engine yet? I believe even Porsche has abandoned it for the latest model of 911.

True, it’s emissions regulations that killed it off. Just too difficult to keep exactly the same temperature around each combustion chamber which you need for precise injection amounts.

Hopefully these:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0MV3gaZMg9fBKIteALypgNR2SQEHcHdrKllbfwiWHnjBQCOcmiA

The stupid key cards, not Lagunas.

Actually Errr............

agree 100% on the Laguna key cards. You can't even put them on a proper key ring and you have to empty your pockets to see if you're carrying it as opposed to your usual "pat down check".

You can't even put them on a proper key ring and you have to empty your pockets to see if you're carrying it as opposed to your usual "pat down check".

You could always do as the previous owner of one of mine did and drill through the bottom corner of the card, swearing at the French while you do.

I thought that the point of the later ones was that you didn't need to take it out of your pocket. A Scenic I had would sense the key card and open when you pulled the door handle, and the Start/Stop button would also fire the engine up without plugging the card in. Unless of course it was broke, which it probably was.. :lol: