Mayfair Lady

Craig the Princess

You may remember from the News 24 thread that Mrs the Princess' Austin Metro Mayfair 1.0 recently failed it's MoT on welding to the rear seatbelt and rear subframe mounts.

jrqqlc.jpg

We thought to reduce cost for the welding repairs (my wife learnt to weld but really doesn't like it so the garage will be doing it) we would remove the fuel tank and loosen the subframe. Having removed Allegro tanks in the past I thought this would be easy. Reading the Haynes manual suggested not. On 3 door Metros the subframe has to be dropped on one side so up she went

e0hp1w.jpg

j76iad.jpg

103sk9c.jpg

(Seen pictured next to our Housemate's new 1.3 Metro Mayfair - Bought off the Metro club forum some pics below with some Giffer-tastic repairs)

2en2e5x.jpg

16knxn5.jpg

213hir7.jpg

(Yes, pop rivits and silver tape!)

Now the Haynes Manual say you can do this is dropping the subframe on the right hand side and guiding it out, we we couldn't. After two trips indoors to remove crap from eyes (despite wearing goggles) the subframe was dropped and we couldn't shift it. The only snap was snapping the Hydragas retaining strap (£28 + postage on ebay - does anyone have a second hand one?)

In the end we decided the only way to do it was to drop the other side a bit (but not enough to need to touch the brake hoses or hand brake cable). So Mrs the Princess got on with it while I took pictures.

2m7xojb.jpg

It still wouldn't pass between exhaust and subframe :twisted: , by this stage it was dark. Then we worked out that the exhaust clamp was the problem, once that was removed it came out ok

zjt5pk.jpg

2ag70ic.jpg

But it took us ages, 2 axle stands, 3 people and 3 jacks to get the subframe back in!

35mldax.jpg

Also managed to take some pictures of a couple of rusty bits

vzkabd.jpg

The Square bit is the seatbelt mount, the round bit surrounding it carpet round by my hand!

This is the other side

n1q88n.jpg

So we put it all back down

x0wwoi.jpg

Remember I broke the Hydragas retaing strap? Well the suspension sat like this before it settled to normal

aca4ad.jpg

it will be trailered to the garage, my suggestion of running it from a petrol can under the bonnet didn't go down well (and wasn't serious, well not after I did it with the purple allegro).

Spooky late night shot (7 PM)

2qulwzp.jpg

Further news to follow once welding is complete.

GR32 work. I didn't know there was a 998 Mayfair.

Also, how cool is it when your girl likes to work on cars? My Long-Haired C.O. Katie has picked up a few choice phrases from me, made all the funnier by the fact that she's very quiet and doesn't (normally) swear. Her best mate and colleague currently lives with us, and was telling me, much to Katie's embarrassment, that a few "Andy-isms" have crept into Katie's vocabulary at work. They had a laser printer go pop lately, and, quoth Katie, "That LaserJet in the main office is wankered"

Nice to see Metros getting some love there Craig.

Yep living the dream! (The building at the back has 11 of our cars in it too).

I'd never really liked Metros before (I drove my first one today - the blue one) but it's really growing on me despite the offset driving position.

GR32 work. I didn't know there was a 998 Mayfair.

Also, how cool is it when your girl likes to work on cars? My Long-Haired C.O. Katie has picked up a few choice phrases from me, made all the funnier by the fact that she's very quiet and doesn't (normally) swear. Her best mate and colleague currently lives with us, and was telling me, much to Katie's embarrassment, that a few "Andy-isms" have crept into Katie's vocabulary at work. They had a laser printer go pop lately, and, quoth Katie, "That LaserJet in the main office is wankered"

Nice to see Metros getting some love there Craig.

Mayfairs - 3 door ones were 998s, 5 doors 1275cc.

That sounds familiar Ash :mrgreen:

• 3 weeks later...

Welding is complete, 15 hours! Lucky our garage is awesome and did the job at under their reduced price labour! That said I think welding up our rusty chod has been about a month's income this year.

It was towed down with our housemate's Maestro van

14t55dk.jpg

2czxqg.jpg

I'll get some more pictures next weekend when the subframe comes off and it all goes back together but as a taster

1jsuhy.jpg

Always made me smile, Metro's are GR16.

He bought it from Blackheath (where I grew up) so it may well be that one. It has had two owners (Father who passed away then son) and done 22,000.

I think I may be in love with Mrs the Princess.....she can weld and wield spanners...... 8)

Me too! No MiG loading pictures will be coming howver as I like being able to walk!

Why is there a Volvo estate with a model of the space shuttle mounted on the roof in the row of cars - a banger rally chariot?

:oops: Yeah, it's not ours (we have done rallies in 2 allegros and a Sherpa Campervan - all survuved and could be de-rallied) but we are storing it for a friend. The Space shuttle has working smoke effects! (It also used to be a tank wth a working turret but sadly no projectiles)

• 2 months later...

Well the Metro now has an MoT. Went back yesterday after about a month of various brake issues. Car all ready to go back for the retest, just needed the brakes bled. Final calliper - snapped both bleed nipples, replace both front callipers and one of them leaked :x . Still all fixed now, taxed this morning and taken to a viewing of a new potential house where the other couple at the same time had a 53 plate 406 Coupe. Which needed a jump start (no picture sadly) - Metro to the rescue.

Sadly it disgraced itself later by breaking down, the rotor arm deciding it didn't like work after three years off.

2i6jbqo.jpg

Oh and somehow I've earthed the fuel sender to say the tank is always full. Still we can live with that and will push it into use :mrgreen::mrgreen:

• 1 year later...

Metro update.

It's now done over 6,000 miles since going back on the road, bar an OMGMGFHGF!!!!! issue that Mrs the Princess fixed in an afternoon it's been very good. Always amazing how much you can get in the back of it with the seats down, 6 rolls of roof felt, 6 tins of paint and loads of room to spare is the most it has had. It also has the hardest suspension known to man despite pump-ups. The gas might have gone out of the spheres so we have a set from a scrapper which will be fitted one day.

Fuel tank issue solved with a bit of paper with the mileage of next fill up written on it.

Only other thing is one of the metric tyres decided it wanted to be egg shaped so it now sits on borrowed mark 1 12" wheels.

We bought that house and have been in there over a year now! Where does the time go?

I'm glad it's not just me... my van had ridiculously hard suspension, didn't matter whether it looked like a coil-chopped Dub or a stiltwalker, I still didn't dare run over a crisp bag.  You can imagine how delighted my back was to feel the 406 round me...

Always liked posh metros. They're comically small compared to modern superminis , a point made clear to me a few years back when my vanden plas 500 limited edition was punted off a roundabout by a Hgv that failed to notice me.

• 3 weeks later...

Mrs the Princess has been fixing her sealtbelt after the driver's one kept freezing, but apart from that 500 miles on the new head gasket all is well.

News however is that our ex-housemate has bought another one that will be joining us next year I'm told :-)

24mwbk9.jpg

1.0L in Clove Brown which isn't toally faded like out Clove Brown Ambassador is. Has a few rust bubbles (front passenger wing is the worst part) but is MoTed and pretty nice. Especially inside

2n8ybud.jpg

2wmgndi.jpg

It has had 3 replacement displacers from a scrap car today (number 4 tomorrow) which car apart surpisingly well.

2rxzew2.jpg

2hex7uq.jpg

While that was going on I was putting the engine of the Marina back together, it's still a bit tight but we shall see tomorrow. This car same from the same ex-housemate and required new oil contol piston rings which took about 2 years to fit. Very solid but looks a bit tired.

2da10sz.jpg

21m5eev.jpg

Also in the work shop was a Morris 1800, real beauty. A possible scrap 2200 Princess will be looked at tomorrow too :-D

2r6kyyv.jpg

• 10 months later...

Ok, so quite a bit happened since the last update. The Metro failed its MoT on rust at the front end which the garage replaced, as the front wings had also had it Peter (Beige 1100) lent her 2 Zircon Blue wings.

zCKZ4I.jpg

As reported in the news thread I had two new wings se had found sprayed at a bodyshop in Downham Market who looked like a normal insurance type dull bodyshop but as soon as I went in the owner talked to me about Metros and showed me round  his mk2 golf in the car park which was a good sign. I had to take in the fuel filler cap to help them match the paint so had to make some excuses to stop her using the car for a couple of days until I could pick it back up.

Picked them up a day before her birthday and managed to hide them in a bedroom cupboard until the next morning. Despite some people not being sure how this would be received in their house Mrs the Princess was very please with these

P7LNj7.jpg

They were fitted today, despite being pattern wings and on the driver's side two of the lower bolt holes having previously been bodged,

mTZaYZ.jpg

Mrs the Princess undersealed the back of the wings then they went back on

Qp4kb1.jpg

73lcLT.jpg

kufzOF.jpg

And the other side too

Wf36rd.jpg

We still need to stick the orange indicator repeater lenses, plastic side trim and source a gold coachline but it looks a treat (to me), we have now sourced a white bonnet to replace the rust spotted original so once some funds are saved this will be next in line along with some paint over the black at the bottom of the frount panel. At some later stage followed by the doors.

YRUPs5.jpg

Next post, fuel, fun and hydragas games with the yellow estate.