Grab a Granny

autofive

0f13f96f.jpg

got this 2.9i Ghia x Granada for not much money last night and picked it up today. Its been sitting in a garage for 11 years, 11Ok miles seller said it 'wont start'

got a few quick underside pics as it was being loaded on the truck

brand new complete exhaust system, still has the stickers on

b8380ae4.jpg

f14a4251.jpg

f1f069d5.jpg

most of the pipework looks rather crusty, especially the fuel lines, but all easily replaced

f0f0783d.jpg

5667279f.jpg

de18fd60.jpg

3977acbe.jpg

once back on the ground (apart from the self-tappered VIN plate) everything seems okay. Looks like its had a shunt at the front and wings, bumper, front valance etc have been replaced, new radiator not yet plumbed in. oil looks clean, and smells okay, as does the ATF.

3cf41adb.jpg

9c371e6b.jpg

24fce579.jpg

all electric windows work, missing doorcard is in the back

e5d3cb8f.jpg

7fdb387e.jpg

boot full of trim, spare rear lights and tools, no spare wheel

30ef0379.jpg

for an extra 13.50 got some more spares, flexis, belts and a new water pump

0cc3e0cc.jpg

2e894bab.jpg

stereo missing, but the amp is still in situ

b0e238f4.jpg

I ll have a better idea of whats happening to it once i can get it on the lift in the morning, if it isnt going to cost too much to MOT i might run it through the winter to save the Cortina from the salty roads. If its too rotten i will strip and use the running gear on the Zephyr.

Huge lols* were had this afternoon when I found a5 trying to start this. I'll have a proper go at it in the morning!

*I promised I wouldn't say why.....

just becasue the fuel pump wasnt connected, or the fuel lines connected to the tank, and i was running a pipe from a can to the return line, why wouldnt it start? :shock:

Huge lols* were had this afternoon when I found a5 trying to start this. I'll have a proper go at it in the morning!

*I promised I wouldn't say why.....

just becasue the fuel pump wasnt connected, or the fuel lines connected to the tank, and i was running a pipe from a can to the return line, why wouldnt it start? :shock:

Obviously duff HT leads. Replace the HT leads and it'll be fine. :D

got it on the lift this afternoon, looks like it needs rear calipers, possibly rear discs, fuel pump, tank, brake pipes and water pump

underneath is crusty, in places, but not rotten

I might be testing this one and using over winter

photos tomorrow

no fires today, fortunately

had a rake through the boot looking for werthers originals, extra clean in there

DSCF2078.jpg

DSCF2077.jpg

DSCF2076.jpg

bit of oil on the gearbox sump, but its not dripping. both fuel lines need replacing

DSCF2088.jpg

new panels up front

DSCF2087.jpg

DSCF2086.jpg

N/S/F crusty

DSCF2084.jpg

O/S/F crusty

DSCF2085.jpg

and the back just as crusty

DSCF2082.jpg

DSCF2083.jpg

this afternoon i removed the back calipers and discs, knotbrushed the discs, they will do. replaced one caliper and flexi, doing the other tomorrow. luckily scary has both axle assemblies lying around outside, so cheap parts for me and cash for scary :D

They're worryingly alright in 2.9 spec these old things. Big wafty barge. Ace.

i hope so :shock:

today i replaced the other caliper, flexis, checked and cleaned the front calipers, added a better handbrake cable and prop, while scary dropped the petrol tank (after i burgered the tank strap bolts) and removed the varnish smelling residue of petrol.

only a few jobs left now then maybe ready for MOT next week :D

Astral Grey Velour!

Owwf...! Very nice cruiser you have there and a thoroughly decent project car.

One of my father's old close school friends (nicknamed 'Spenner' - long story) had a 1991 H 2.9i Ghia X Auto in Aztec Gold when it was about three years old. Stunning wafter that I do have happy memories of. He had it for about five years and my father did manage to borrow it quite a few times too. I'll never forget the time I was in the back and he suddenly buried his right foot into the carpet. One of my earliest memories of being pushed hard into a seat.

Keep us posted! :)

(P.S - Spenner now drives a Peugeot 607, an 03 plate, that he's owned from new. That replaced an early 'Y' plate 607 - again, which he had from new :shock: He knew people who worked at the former Braiser Bros in Ellesmere Port)

pretty slow progress on the granada :(

still waiting for new brake pipes (local motor factors had to order in the bleed nipples and pipe ends :roll: )

DSCF2139.jpg

as the rims of the steel wheels were damaged, scary found these lying around

d78188d1.jpg

going to crack on with it over the weekend, hopefully

I see where you're coming from, but I am very fond of leather seats because I can leave the empty Pepsi/energy drink can on the passenger seat without creating a mess.

If you do decide to fit the leather interior, try and see if you can check whether it fits before taking the other one out. The post-facelift models (1991-4 or there abouts) have a slightly different set-up, including the amazing feature of RECLINING REAR SEATBACKS! :shock:

I see where you're coming from, but I am very fond of leather seats because I can leave the empty Pepsi/energy drink can on the passenger seat without creating a mess.

If you do decide to fit the leather interior, try and see if you can check whether it fits before taking the other one out. The post-facelift models (1991-4 or there abouts) have a slightly different set-up, including the amazing feature of RECLINING REAR SEATBACKS! :shock:

Pre-facelift Granada Scorpios and some Ghias had that as well. Electric ones :)