Infamous Shite in History.

warren t claim

maybe infamous shite in the making?

https://www.facebook.com/StokePolice/photos/a.260291284925300/1050308965923524

image.thumb.png.6d5323d30ac6a0200ff7d3a6ec0a65a9.png

I hope theres footage of the chase somewhere! 

but id love to know just what happened in the first place, how do you come to be running away from the police in an MGB GT V8, maybe some criminal from the 1970's accidentally drove through a time warp? :) 

reminds me of some way of the infamous Morris minor chase

5 hours ago, martc said:

image.png.b25b1cbf02f86bf9547356c585fad2b6.png

Not a vehicle used in a crime, but a vehicle used to transport criminals.

For the curious, the following text accompanied the photo...

The Old Bailey, January 1945. Outside a bricked-up Central Criminal Court (Old Bailey), people queue to get a much in demand seat at the trial of the “Cleft Chin Murderers”. The cleft chin murder was a killing which occurred as part of a string of crimes during 1944. It became known as the "cleft chin murder" because the murder victim, George Edward Heath, a taxi driver, had a cleft chin. The culprits were Karl Hultén, a deserter from the U.S. Army, and Elizabeth Jones, an eighteen-year-old waitress.

On 3 October 1944, Jones met Hultén in a tea shop. The relationship lasted only six days. During that time they knocked over a nurse cycling along a country lane and robbed her; picked up a hitchhiker, knocked her unconscious, robbed her, and then threw her into a river to drown (though she survived); finally, they murdered taxi driver George Edward Heath near Staines in Middlesex. They robbed Heath of £8, which they spent at the dog races the next day. After spending the taxi driver's £8, Jones announced she wanted a fur coat. Hultén attacked a woman in the street and tried to snatch her coat, but the police came and Hultén only just managed to escape in the stolen taxi driver’s car.

He was eventually caught because the car was still in his possession. In the meantime Jones had gone to the police and admitted to the crimes, to ease her conscience. During the trial they implicated each other. They were both found guilty of murdering Heath and were sentenced by Mr Justice Charles to be hanged. While Hultén was executed at Pentonville Prison on 8 March 1945, Jones was reprieved and released in May 1954. Her subsequent fate is unknown, although there are reports of her death occurring in 1980.

The reprieve caused some controversy, because many people considered the crimes to be cowardly, and in a war-torn Britain where everyone was pulling together to face a common enemy, almost treasonous. "SHE SHOULD HANG" was graffitied in several places in Jones's home town.

I think this was turned into a film, I remember seeing something where a GI boasts about been a hitman before the war & shoots a taxi driver through the back of his seat to show be wasn't bragging.

• 2 months later...

Not so much history as historical in a general sense - but it never fails to surprise me how attached paramilitaries in Northern Ireland are to Vauxhall Cavaliers.

Maghera: Victim of sectarian attack says lives have been wrecked - BBC News

image.png.0dd82c9bdb4a3e13cf147412f551b7c3.png

I mean, this only happened last Wednesday. Cavaliers aren't exactly a common sight on roads in Northern Ireland anymore, yet still the lads with the balaclavas seem to gravitate towards them.

I can recall a number of incidents over the past few years involving Cavs; the only one I could find with a cursory search was a car bomb planted not far from me a few years ago, also involving a Cavalier.

Cavalier_Kilcooley.jpg.be69e63457be690f5579c2c52665e975.jpg

The 2009 Massarene Barracks shooting in Antrim used a stolen Cavalier as a getaway car. The killers tried and failed to set fire to it afterwards.

Cavalier_Massarene.png.89486e63ebaac358f44eb2714a608721.png

And most notoriously, the Omagh Bombing used a red Cavalier.

Omagh_Bombing_Poster.jpg.f0dc9ab17175d463cbd619aae26a2861.jpg

So this is why Mk3 Cavs probably aren't a smart choice as a modern classic over here... too much chance of getting stolen, or making you a target for a police stop...

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the news:

A married man who murdered his lover and her young son more than 45 years ago will likely die behind bars.

William MacDowell, 80, was sentenced to life in prison with a recommendation that he serve a minimum of 30 years for killing Renee and Andrew MacRae in November 1976.

MacDowell, of Penrith, Cumbria, killed the mother and son at a layby near Dalmagarry on the A9, about 12 miles south of Inverness.

Mrs MacRae's BMW car was discovered on fire in the layby but the bodies have never been found.

skynews-bmw-macrae_5914408.thumb.jpg.2d4308adf1186210c00d8ef7315bc56c.jpg

https://news.sky.com/story/man-80-sentenced-to-life-after-murdering-his-lover-and-their-son-more-than-45-years-ago-12707789

Renee-MacRae-car.thumb.jpg.29efbf544f99bc409e0d76da2fb8a3c2.jpg

2334.webp.fb9a22021e4bb589a9c90b05579c3b2f.webp

The company Volvo used by MacDowell.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/29/renee-andrew-macrae-murder-inverness-1976-william-macdowell-guilty

NWLD-composite-court-verdict-MH.jpg.f06e68bc963cb8b239a5f80abefe0270.jpg

6 hours ago, Vinylseats said:

Back in the news:

A married man who murdered his lover and her young son more than 45 years ago will likely die behind bars.

William MacDowell, 80, was sentenced to life in prison with a recommendation that he serve a minimum of 30 years for killing Renee and Andrew MacRae in November 1976.

MacDowell, of Penrith, Cumbria, killed the mother and son at a layby near Dalmagarry on the A9, about 12 miles south of Inverness.

Mrs MacRae's BMW car was discovered on fire in the layby but the bodies have never been found.

skynews-bmw-macrae_5914408.thumb.jpg.2d4308adf1186210c00d8ef7315bc56c.jpg

https://news.sky.com/story/man-80-sentenced-to-life-after-murdering-his-lover-and-their-son-more-than-45-years-ago-12707789

Renee-MacRae-car.thumb.jpg.29efbf544f99bc409e0d76da2fb8a3c2.jpg

2334.webp.fb9a22021e4bb589a9c90b05579c3b2f.webp

The company Volvo used by MacDowell.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/29/renee-andrew-macrae-murder-inverness-1976-william-macdowell-guilty

NWLD-composite-court-verdict-MH.jpg.f06e68bc963cb8b239a5f80abefe0270.jpg

Nothing like stating  the obvious. He’s 80 , sentenced to a minimum 30 years, “ will likely due behind bars”.

On 5/10/2022 at 1:28 AM, Vinylseats said:

Pregnant Marie Wilks' Morris Marina coupe, which broke down on the M50 near Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire, leading to her being murdered whilst she was using the roadside emergency phone, in 1988.

043393e7608ca698ddf4b960844fd374c5a916ef.jpg.f09371320faa4e937a1e65eb3cb6a1c8.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000434638473-e1537194384995.thumb.webp.ad3f5fd6cebcaab4ae0ed9a1ad24ee2e.webp

0_Marie-Wilks-murder-newspaper-clippings.thumb.jpg.08aa8168703908530dc726431adc90c3.jpg

NINTCHDBPICT000434664162.webp.c04d3415e5437c089cc5c94adfd09fe3.webp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Marie_Wilks

Wrongly accused Eddie Browning the ex squaddie/bouncer drove a Renault 25 as well. 

Yet another South Wales police fit up that went wrong. 

Bad as the victims family will never know who did it as they chose to try and fit someone up they didn't like and wanted off the scene. 

Lynette White murders, the Swansea sex shop murders, the Clydach murders. SWP have a lot to answer for. 

Sorry library photo, couldn't even find an original on wiki, weird as there were loads at the time. 

Screenshot_20220930-094245_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cff5db3d1309ecc806ace1bcf0592762.jpg

With stuff like this I think you just know if you're a car person or not. 

I can always remember the Hungerford murders as it was when I was a kid and so out of turn for the UK but the first thing I thought was fuck me he must be rich, he's got a year old Astra!!! 

Same with the M50 murders and Browning, he had a C reg R25, I mean that was decent money back then as well at 2 yrs old. Bamber with his 3i that was again only a few years old. 

It's strange as I always felt as a kid that if you murdered someone, you were a poor person from a lonely background, probably because money etc wasn't in the forefront of my mind as a motive but seeing the cars really changed my perspective on it, made me realise there's odd bods everywhere. 

2 minutes ago, vaughant said:

I can always remember the Hungerford murders as it was when I was a kid and so out of turn for the UK but the first thing I thought was fuck me he must be rich, he's got a year old Astra!!! 

Same with the M50 murders and Browning, he had a C reg R25, I mean that was decent money back then as well at 2 yrs old. Bamber with his 3i that was again only a few years old. 

It's strange as I always felt as a kid that if you murdered someone, you were a poor person from a lonely background, probably because money etc wasn't in the forefront of my mind as a motive but seeing the cars really changed my perspective on it, made me realise there's odd bods everywhere. 

I seem to recall that Jeremy Bamber stood to inherit a lot of money if his adoptive parents died. I don't think he was wealthy in his own right.

I have no idea what kind of car he drove, but I thought he was working as a farm hand on the family farm and his house and car were provided by the parents. I think that money was exactly the motive.

2 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

I seem to recall that Jeremy Bamber stood to inherit a lot of money if his adoptive parents died. I don't think he was wealthy in his own right.

I have no idea what kind of car he drove, but I thought he was working as a farm hand on the family farm and his house and car were provided by the parents. I think that money was exactly the motive.

I think both Bamber and Ryan had an Astra GTE, both paid for by the parents. 

On 9/30/2022 at 9:55 AM, vaughant said:

Peter Sutcliffe normally had cars a few years old that he was maintaining himself, apart from one of the early attacks when he had a newish Capri.  I presume he had to sell it when he was sacked from one job or made redundant from another.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:39 PM, greengartside said:

Yep, definitely the case with Michael Ryan’s GTE, his mother doted on him and gave him anything he wanted - even if it meant her getting into horrendous debt over it.

They did have a lovely house in a nice part of Hungerford which is a nice place as well from memory or was that before it all kicked off? I remember the Astra parked outside a shit looking council house with the stereotypical knocked down wall and shit everywhere but I think that was Michael's own house rather than the family home. 

21 minutes ago, vaughant said:

They did have a lovely house in a nice part of Hungerford which is a nice place as well from memory or was that before it all kicked off? I remember the Astra parked outside a shit looking council house with the stereotypical knocked down wall and shit everywhere but I think that was Michael's own house rather than the family home. 

I am wrong, as usual, looks like they had both moved into the smaller house a few years before however a streetview reveals some quality chod from 13 years ago!!! 

Screenshot_20221001-210351_Maps.thumb.jpg.0a50d6621f4a97d5472e677dc7426880.jpg

On 9/14/2022 at 4:17 PM, Datsuncog said:

Not so much history as historical in a general sense - but it never fails to surprise me how attached paramilitaries in Northern Ireland are to Vauxhall Cavaliers.

Maghera: Victim of sectarian attack says lives have been wrecked - BBC News

image.png.0dd82c9bdb4a3e13cf147412f551b7c3.png

I mean, this only happened last Wednesday. Cavaliers aren't exactly a common sight on roads in Northern Ireland anymore, yet still the lads with the balaclavas seem to gravitate towards them.

I can recall a number of incidents over the past few years involving Cavs; the only one I could find with a cursory search was a car bomb planted not far from me a few years ago, also involving a Cavalier.

Cavalier_Kilcooley.jpg.be69e63457be690f5579c2c52665e975.jpg

The 2009 Massarene Barracks shooting in Antrim used a stolen Cavalier as a getaway car. The killers tried and failed to set fire to it afterwards.

Cavalier_Massarene.png.89486e63ebaac358f44eb2714a608721.png

And most notoriously, the Omagh Bombing used a red Cavalier.

Omagh_Bombing_Poster.jpg.f0dc9ab17175d463cbd619aae26a2861.jpg

So this is why Mk3 Cavs probably aren't a smart choice as a modern classic over here... too much chance of getting stolen, or making you a target for a police stop...

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952e65475064d7322d560

5 hours ago, vaughant said:

I am wrong, as usual, looks like they had both moved into the smaller house a few years before however a streetview reveals some quality chod from 13 years ago!!! 

Screenshot_20221001-210351_Maps.thumb.jpg.0a50d6621f4a97d5472e677dc7426880.jpg

From what I understand, Michael still lived with his mother at South View and on the afternoon of the rampage, he set the house alight and it was destroyed beyond repair. A new house was built in its place.

• 4 months later...