Infamous Shite in History.

warren t claim

8 hours ago, Markeh said:

Yep, apart from my time at uni I lived there until 2019. This all went down about 20 years before I was born but it's still a chip shop to this day and the news article's framed inside.

On another note: I vaguely remember watching a documentary about some bombs in London, seem to recall one was found on the street, got picked up and placed in the back of what I think was a Sierra before it went off - aftermath photos showed an early model XM caught by the blast.

Brick Lane bombings of 1999, IIRC.

13 hours ago, Norbert said:

Raymond Morris' Farina Cambridge was burnt out in March 1969.

A_Kind_Of_Revenge_Morris_A65_Forecourt_Burning_1969.jpg?1652169706437

A woman I know narrowly avoided Morris by hiding in a bush while he scoured the field she had been playing on. It was her statement that first alerted the police to the fact he'd changed cars (as he'd do again, he had a Consul at the time of his arrest of the same type and colour as the car the arresting officers were driving). 

As a result of this the BMC Farinas are pretty much the only 1960s car my friend hates.

I think he was driving a Vauxhall at one time.

The abandoned Renault 5 of Hilda Murrell, a "naturalist, diarist and campaigner against nuclear power and nuclear weapons" who in 1984 was abducted in her own car during a burglary at her home in Shrewsbury and was and left to die in a field. "The case remains controversial and subject to conspiracy theories."

article-2099890-028752D00000044D-834_468x286.jpg.7191b3ac9a4f907d8e2a68de639809c6.jpg

Bonus image of the crime scene:

article-2371611-1AE8BBF8000005DC-335_634x432.jpg.9360b0dc1c4f38642387fa6b3f89c48c.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilda_Murrell

24 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Only if someone died inside, AIUI - or it's so... 'contaminated'... that it's beyond effective rescue.

The Range Rover used in the Essex murders was cleaned up and given back to the finance company who then put it through the auctions. And that would have been grizzly - bits of bone and brain all over the interior...

12 hours ago, sierraman said:

Renault lived for another 6 years by the car check thing. It amazes me how many cars involved in fairly gruesome acts end up getting sold on, I was on the understanding they got baled but obviously not. 

The broken down Marina on the M50 got fixed and lived on for another 7 years, although I suppose no crime was committed in the car.  15 years seems like a good innings for a Marina.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:11 AM, Norbert said:

Raymond Morris' Farina Cambridge was burnt out in March 1969.

A_Kind_Of_Revenge_Morris_A65_Forecourt_Burning_1969.jpg?1652169706437

A woman I know narrowly avoided Morris by hiding in a bush while he scoured the field she had been playing on. It was her statement that first alerted the police to the fact he'd changed cars (as he'd do again, he had a Consul at the time of his arrest of the same type and colour as the car the arresting officers were driving). 

As a result of this the BMC Farinas are pretty much the only 1960s car my friend hates.

He had a Corsair at the time he was finally, and conclusively arrested, Corsairs do seem to attract wrong’ uns - Sutcliffe had at least two.

Sutcliffe had several cars during his ‘active period’, (the official report into the investigation lists them) and he did buy and sell cars  as a bit of a sideline. It’s disturbing to think he might of had shiter tendencies…

5 hours ago, adw1977 said:

The broken down Marina on the M50 got fixed and lived on for another 7 years, although I suppose no crime was committed in the car.  15 years seems like a good innings for a Marina.

Imagine owning that Marina though - yes, no crime actually happened in that car but it was the unreliable car breaking down that led to Marie Wilks' murder! I'm not sure I'd have taken it on a motorway again....

8 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

In that scene it's actually a modified lancia as I believe it was deemed to expensive to destroy the Aston which I think still exists as do one or both the E types & all 3 minis & possibly the landie.

The Minis didn’t, the actual registrations they were on were never issued, the Minis were either scrapped in Italy or obviously chucked off the side of the alps. The DVLA ended up releasing the registrations sometime in the 90’s as private plates so these were just added to suitably aged Minis, so the ones you see in articles have about as much connection to the film as I am Michael Caine. 

Its not beyond the realms of possibility that a few of the Minis survived in Italy, when they returned to the U.K. after filming there was a lock up full of old wheels and spares that was never returned to collect so it’s unlikely but possible that sat in a lock up in Turin there could be a part of the Minis used. The Fiat Dino came back to the U.K. but ended up so corroded that only the doors were saved, these supposedly sat in the directors garage for a number of years. 

Car used by killers Richard Hickock and  Perry Smith when they murdered the  whole Clutter family in Holcomb Kansas. They were arrested six weeks after the murders and later executed by the state of Kansas.

Truman Capote wrote the book 'In Cold Blood' about the crime. 

If you have not read it well worth it. Not your usual crime book by any means. 

Screenshot_20220512-111442_Chrome.jpg.fbd419a4869bbfee42a150b6c38b5ccf.jpg

The Minor Michael Gregsten was driving when killed by 'the A6 murderer' James Hanratty - one of the last people in UK  sentenced to death.

Screenshot_20220512-113356_Chrome.jpg.43596dd2e0772ac61f602ddd8ddbecfb.jpg

There was a lot of media and other attention to the case at the time and later about a mis-trial - but the case was re-examined in 2002 and modern DNA techniques proved the conviction correct.

4 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Car used by killers Richard Hickock and  Perry Smith when they murdered the  whole Clutter family in Holcomb Kansas. They were arrested six weeks after the murders and later executed by the state of Kansas.

Truman Capote wrote the book 'In Cold Blood' about the crime. 

If you have not read it well worth it. Not your usual crime book by any means. 

Screenshot_20220512-111442_Chrome.jpg.fbd419a4869bbfee42a150b6c38b5ccf.jpg

I've read that book.  Loads of detailed research there.  Available on Amazon Kindle for £1.29, although the one I read was a 1990s paperback.  I have just downloaded it to read again.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:20 AM, Pieman said:

Wasn't prolific saloon car racer Nick Whiting said to be involved in the Brinks Mat robbery?  He ran a performance car garage just down the road from Brands Hatch, and in 1990 he disappeared along with several cars from his garage and was later found murdered and buried in a shallow grave in Essex.

His brother was Charlie Whiting, long time FIA race director, who died suddenly in Melbourne just before the first Grand Prix of 2019.

As for the Willie MacRae case, I don't think that Volvo crashed there at all and I reckon it was placed there - from the pics there doesn't seem to be any disturbance to the ground where it would have left the road.

Kenneth Noye was also living  near Brands Hatch.

He killed Stephen Cameron in  a road rage attack at Swanley.

The villain stabbed electrician Stephen to death following a row on 19 May 1996

3 hours ago, JeeExEll said:

I've read that book.  Loads of detailed research there.  Available on Kindle for £1.29, although the one I read was a 1990s paperback.

Yes it is quite a masterpiece. One of those books never forgotten once read. A piece of art which is a milestone in writing and something the writing of  which changed its author in a significant way too - Capote was never the same afterwards.

The film Capote is a useful resume of that:

The film also contains a bravura performance by the late Philip Seymour Hoffman. As a way into the book the film is a good start (also includes 50's cars).

Underlines the senseless, random and grim nature of these type of crimes - very far away from Midsomer Murders.

I'm not myself much of a crime book aficionado- but I think from time to time it's appropriate to look evil right in the eye.

As was written elsewhere about Eichmann - 'the banality of evil'.

Anyway I'm getting a bit far from old cars...