Infamous Shite in History.

warren t claim

On 11/1/2017 at 4:00 PM, flat4alfa said:

It was posted on page 1 as above, but yes, glad you've written up some of the background. 

Ah - another Photobucket victim. When I saw the thread, Neave's crumpled Cav was the first thing that popped into my head - so when I didn't come across the image while reading through the posts, I took it upon myself to add it in. This particular incident happened before my time, but growing up in Northern Ireland, the terrorism threat was pretty much constant throughout the 80s and 90s - my town centre was carbombed by the IRA twice in the early 1990s, with a great deal of damage done (but no loss of life, thankfully). 

I remember it well, the newspapers anyhow, and likely this was the one when I was a child that made me hear about the IRA (and offshoots) and what they could do

Why I think this particular image stuck with me was because, due to 'respect for families', car wreckage from bomb attacks was hardly ever shown on the local news - or if it was, it was from a distance and usually with a tarp over it while the forensics boys took it away. Despite this kind of thing being a horribly regular occurence, Neave's Cavalier was the first time I'd ever seen what a bombed car actually looked like - and I was horribly fascinated. 

I also seem to remember that the footage of the army corporals being dragged from that silver Passat during the IRA funeral procession and taken away to their deaths was only shown in full in Northern Ireland in the late 90s or early 2000s. There was quite a media flurry about the decision to finally show it as part of BBC NI's Spotlight programme, together with an interview with the priest who had to act as a mediator to recover the bodies later that day. Some very dark times.

I'll see if I can dig up any other pics of Troubles-era shite, if there's an interest here - I know I've a few archive folders tucked away of interesting shite from that time. I can appreciate that some may view it as somewhat morbid, but as historical images go they're absolutely compelling.

Of course living in Glasgow sectarianism is still rife, it will never be gone as long as theres people raising their kids into it, and all the names that go around, Dirty Orange Bastard, Fucking Orange Hun the Catholics call the Protestants, and the Catholics get called Papes, Taigs, Fenian bastards etc. 

What?!  Even now??  I can't say I've heard any of those terms since my childhood

That stuff went away a generation ago down this way.  Nowadays it's all creeds and flavours getting on better, vs. islamic gangblinger intolerance of all those creeds and flavours that are getting on better

I've still got an old Rover though.

What?! Even now?? I can't say I've heard any of those terms since my childhood

That stuff went away a generation ago down this way. Nowadays it's all creeds and flavours getting on better, vs. islamic gangblinger intolerance of all those creeds and flavours that are getting on better

I've still got an old Rover though.

Not as bad as it was 20years ago but it’s still rife in some areas and with certain mindless sections of society.

Invacar (Proper Invacar, none of this newfangled Model 70 tosh)

The reason why you remember it probably

RH3pM53.jpg

AYwzLBZ.jpg

HEVvesG.jpg

The press called it the Shepherds Bush Murders but it was outside the Scrubs, on the other side of White City and the A40 Westway, so was really Acton.

Of course living in Glasgow sectarianism is still rife, it will never be gone as long as theres people raising their kids into it, and all the names that go around, Dirty Orange Bastard, Fucking Orange Hun the Catholics call the Protestants, and the Catholics get called Papes, Taigs, Fenian bastards etc.

When you're doing a pub quiz and the question comes up, "Name a famous Tim", it can get a bit interesting...

• 11 months later...

Fred Bump

Susannah "Suzy" Lamplugh was a British estate agent reported missing on 28 July 1986 in Fulham, southwest London, England. She was officially declared dead, presumed murdered, in 1994. The last clue of her whereabouts was an appointment to show a house in Shorrolds Road to someone she referred to as "Mr. Kipper".

post-3910-0-11002200-1539390783_thumb.png

Here's the company Fiesta she was driving on the day of her disappearance.

post-3910-0-21267400-1539391121_thumb.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonar_Colleano#Death

Now here's an incident that happened on my doorstep back in 1958.

post-3910-0-92545700-1539392634_thumb.png

post-3910-0-64957000-1539392704_thumb.png

What actually impresses me as a taxi driver with strong local knowledge is the route he took, it's not the signposted route but the "taxi drivers" route that only people with local knowledge would have known about.

post-3910-0-14349800-1539392922_thumb.png

He would have left the Mersey Tunnel not by the most obvious route but by the now discussed dock exit above which as well as being the mass mortuary in the event of a disaster on Wirral is only used now for movie and TV filming, Bulletproof, Fast And The Furious and Harry Potter.

post-3910-0-28319800-1539393134_thumb.png

He would have slowed down his XK140 here because at the time there was a permanently manned policeman working point duty as the junction had a mix of cars and dock railway trains running day and night.

post-3910-0-66466400-1539393301_thumb.png

And here's the site of his fatal accident, now made safer by a roundabout. It's a mere quarter of a mile from the previously mentioned police box.

• 11 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 10:33 PM, barrett said:

Well remembered! I should have just scrolled back a few pages eh

post-3924-0-67357900-1509661974_thumb.jpg

On 11/2/2017 at 10:24 PM, barrett said:

In an attempt to be 'on point', can anyone dig up the photos of the 1960s gangland killing with an Invacar (Proper Invacar, none of this newfangled Model 70 tosh) in the background?

I realise that's not much to go on but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, chances are they're on this forum

a close relative of that AC Acedes Model 57 survives today in fact (AC so not a Proper Invacar to be pedantic LOL)

7013548425_cb4ebea54c_h.jpg

FPD167B, what are the chances of that!