Fabulous design touches.

Pete-M

Rover 75 dashboard.

316600_10150430738668200_640023199_10286689_959298434_n.jpg

Saab 9-5 double sunvisor (perhaps the only good feature about the car!).

Saab_9-5_sun_visor_detail.jpg

No, ignore the mirror. Look above. Sunvisor down, but there's another sunvisor! Means you can twist one round to the side window and still have one for the windscreen. Very Scandinavian.

Range Rover bonnet corners. Strengthens the HUGE bonnet panel and looks so right.

tumblr_l7iod0Nbm11qzwba5o1_500.jpg

24421_1959sb6QlznvdQhN.jpg

I loved the rear lights on these from the moment I saw them. The car won't ever set the world on fire, but it's acceptable enough; the lights just melted my heart.

More002-vi.jpg

Light-related again, sorry... See those flaps covering the headlights? They flip down, revealing four fixed headlights, and when you turn them off, the flap rises before the lights go out. It's quite spooky!

Other cars have "design touches" this car is one big design touch.

Its, possibly, the most beautiful thing on Gods Earth.

1972-Lamborghini-Miura-SV-fa-lr.jpg

Every part of the car is a design touch, you could look at it for a week and still be finding little touches of beauty.

If only I had won that £100 million on the lottery and not those Fenland pikeys.

I like haunches.

That little upward curve above the rear wheel that suggests power and speed like the strong hind legs of a fast animal.

As a styling cue, you can trace it back to horse carts that had separate mud guards but I like it when its subtly displayed as part of a modern (ie. no horsey horseless) car body.

Whether, a beautiful sports car.

a_1966_Jaguar_E-Type_Coupe.jpg

Or something more pedestrian

800px-Vauxhall_Viva_GT_%28HB%29_reg_1965_Biggleswade.JPG

On surprising one is the old shape BMW Z4.

All that flame surfacing tends to get in the way in pictures but take a close look and the rear wings and bootlid are beautifully shaped.

Rover P6 front sidelights, they've got little pointy ears so that you can see from inside the car that the light is working, most get snapped off though.

Lexus LS400, steering wheel moves out of the way when you pull the key from the ignition, I always have mine turned off though.

Rover P6 front sidelights, they've got little pointy ears so that you can see from inside the car that the light is working, most get snapped off though.

Lexus LS400, steering wheel moves out of the way when you pull the key from the ignition, I always have mine turned off though.

Cadillacs had a little fibre optic or other magically powered version of that. Dip, main and indicators had little tell tails on the wing. Not quite as cool, but funky anyway.

*Awaits flaming:

The seating arrangement on the Zafira and the whole thing in general. The middle seats slide back/forth, the seating arrangement is both clever and useful and they managed to make a useable seven seater that's not massive (and not as crap) as a Galhembraron.

*Awaits flaming:

The seating arrangement on the Zafira and the whole thing in general. The middle seats slide back/forth, the seating arrangement is both clever and useful and they managed to make a useable seven seater that's not massive (and not as crap) as a Galhembraron.

I had a several as rentals a few years ago and I will agree that the seating arrangement is rather clever.

I'm indifferent to the rest of it though (unless its a VXR).

When I was in Canada in the mid 1980s a family friend had a Pontiac GTO with the rev counter ON THE BONNET! How cool is that???

Coincidentally, I was earlier reading an article in an old 'Classic American' about a 1970 AMC Rambler Rebel Machine and look what that had 8) :

mopp_0712_06_z+1970_american

Renault 25 and Vel Satis have a lovely "electrically assisted" tailgate lock. Drop the boot down on to the catch gently and a motor sucks it shut with the beautiful sound of fully functional French gadgetry. Yes - the 25 in my driveway won't start, but it still sucks it's boot shut nicely! You really appreciate it when you're in the car and somebody (who knows how to use it) shuts the boot... no ear popping bang

SkodaSuperb-twindoor.jpg

The Skoda Superb "twin door". I love this idea. Love it to bits. I like Saloon and Estate cars. Not a fan of the hatchback for some reason - give me a Granada Saloon over the hatch every day - but hatchbacks are occasionally a godsend. So having a nice saloon car with a hatch for those times it's needed is an ace idea. It works, too. I've been driving them a few hundred miles a week for the last 18 months.