Shite You CAN'T STAND!

PaykanHunter

Modern Audis give me the heebs. Had the misfortune to rent an A4 TDi a year or two ago - the most annoying motor I've ever driven. Pinging at me, blinking warning lights at me every few seconds, it seemed. And the most annoying thing of all, the indicators flash a minimum of three times. Somehow that seemed like Third Reich levels of control-grabbing from the driver. No single-flash after an overtake, say.

Why? What purpose does that serve? Where else would you be going anyway? Overuse of signals can be a sign of a brain not in gear. Always consider a signal - at least then you have thought about the necessity rather than rely on blind habit.

MGs. Sherpa Dropheads. Whatever you call them, they irritate me. I think it's partly the car, and partly the owners. Just everything about them. AAARGH.

I also get irritated by people who know I like "old" cars assuming I'll cream my pants over one.

Aye. Those triple-flash indicators can be really annoying. In remote parts of Scotland, it's the done thing to flash your right-indicator once to thank someone for pulling in at night to let you pass on a single-carriageway road. That's far friendlier than flashing your lights and destroying the other driver's night vision! Normally I'd knock my headlamps down to sidelights for the same reason but some modern cars don't like to do this I've discovered.

MGs. Sherpa Dropheads. Whatever you call them, they irritate me. I think it's partly the car, and partly the owners. Just everything about them. AAARGH.

I also get irritated by people who know I like "old" cars assuming I'll cream my pants over one.

Same with Jaguar E-types, I'm always asked why I brought a crappy 2CV instead of a Jag E-type, the classic car that everyone who is into old cars 'must have', sorry I don't, and no I don't want to be like James Martin.

Modern Audis give me the heebs. Had the misfortune to rent an A4 TDi a year or two ago - the most annoying motor I've ever driven. Pinging at me, blinking warning lights at me every few seconds, it seemed. And the most annoying thing of all, the indicators flash a minimum of three times. Somehow that seemed like Third Reich levels of control-grabbing from the driver. No single-flash after an overtake, say.

Why? What purpose does that serve? Where else would you be going anyway? Overuse of signals can be a sign of a brain not in gear. Always consider a signal - at least then you have thought about the necessity rather than rely on blind habit.

An enforced three-flash minimum is certainly over-signalling.

An enforced three-flash minimum is certainly over-signalling.

I like that shape 121!! (Although that one is horrible obv).

I had this one for a bit

Photo-0028.jpg

Looks wierd but it was great, it felt really light but solid, and was great to drive with good PAS. Also the full length electric sunroof thing was fun. I only sold it cos it needed a radiator, the clutch was on it's way out and the parts weren't cheap.

A lot that were obtained new were motab cars,and the ones that paid for them with money could have had them new for under £10k,used they are one of the few cars that can fit 3 child seats across the back seat ,also they are dirt cheap.

A lot that were obtained new were motab cars,and the ones that paid for them with money could have had them new for under £10k,used they are one of the few cars that can fit 3 child seats across the back seat ,also they are dirt cheap.

Picassos seemed to be pretty well thought of, but Citroen were more or less giving them away; my previous employer had a fleet deal with Citroen where any employee could rock up with proof of employment and get up to 42% off brand new Citroens - from memory the entire range was covered, more or less - as long as it was registered to them for a minimum of one year.

Picassos seemed to be pretty well thought of

No they are shit !

EFA, lol. If they were shite they'd be OK.

I honestly can't think of another vehicle that pisses me off as much as the Picasso - or one whose occupants are so often as as spirit-crushingly bland and bloated as the vehicle they're in. I'd like to meet the Picasso's designer, and punch him.

Picassos seemed to be pretty well thought of

No they are shit !

I honestly can't think of a vehicle that pisses me off more than the Picasso - or one whose occupants are often as as spirit-crushingly bland and ugly as the vehicle they're in. I'd like to meet the Picasso's designer, and punch him.

I had a few colleagues who had them and liked them, but in fairness the sum total of the fleet deal we saw at Glasgow was one Citroen C1 that was replaced within about a year by a Mk2 VW Golf 1.6D van which was a much more pleasant thing. As I say though, they did give them away and I've only known one bloke have issue with one...

No they are shit !

I honestly can't think of a vehicle that pisses me off more than the Picasso - or one whose occupants are often as as spirit-crushingly bland and ugly as the vehicle they're in. I'd like to meet the Picasso's designer, and punch him.

I had a few colleagues who had them and liked them, but in fairness the sum total of the fleet deal we saw at Glasgow was one Citroen C1 that was replaced within about a year by a Mk2 VW Golf 1.6D van which was a much more pleasant thing. As I say though, they did give them away and I've only known one bloke have issue with one...

My antipathy towards them isn't about their practicality, or even their reliability... it's the feeling of aesthetic affront I get whenever I see one of the nasty bloated things and the family of chip-guzzling remtards inside it.

• 2 months later...

There are a few cars that I dislike but I don't hate.

The Austin A40 does nothing at all for me, I just think 'why'. I find then bland and unexciting (sorry).

I would actually like to try a modern 'not so Mini', just for the sheer hell of it. The current version of the Micra is pretty shite. They lost the plot when the Frogs took over. The Hyundai Amica was vile with horribly cheap and nasty interior. The latest i10 is actually rather pleasant and I am happy with my auto version.

What was so bad about the 'frog eye' Granada? I wouldn't mind one, is there something I should know?

The S Type. Hmm, could have been good but the interior looked tacky.

Most Audi's around here (North London) are driven by complete tossers, also anything with 'private hire' on it is best to be avoided as they are normally driven by arseholes.

I honestly can't think of another vehicle that pisses me off as much as the Picasso - or one whose occupants are so often as as spirit-crushingly bland and bloated as the vehicle they're in.

Whoa whoa whoa! Just hold the fuck up there for a minute. I have to take issue with that misinformed opinion.

Believe it or not people buy them because they have to. Not because of the "awesome" driving experience.

While my parents generation could pile half a dozen kids into the back seats and boot of a 2.8 Capri and razz it sideways around every corner, modern parents can't do that.

Kids need to be in child seats, or you're clocking up points. If you spawn more than two kids you need an individual seat for each kid. Which is where the Picasso, Scenic, Espace etc come in. No fucker wants to drive a people carrier voluntarily...

And I find that the "spirit-crushingly bland" people I know drive VAG or BMW products.

What's your automotive suggestion for a family with three or more kids?

Argghhhh, you've started me off on another one now.

Golf Mk1: dull as anything, not very well made, rusty and surely the most over-rated car of ever?

Golf Mk2: Same as above yet more bloated and even more bland.

Golf Mk3: Why, oh why does anyone rave about them? Even morer bloated, hopelessly and incredibly dull, rust like Lord knows what, shit interior, shit looks and shit to drive.

All following Golfs: (mostly) wanker chariots (mostly) driven by people who fell for the hype and think they have the greatest car in the world when very obviously they don't.

Bit harsh for what I think is a good car. MK2 Golf doesn't do anything for me though.

Argghhhh, you've started me off on another one now.

Golf Mk1: dull as anything, not very well made, rusty and surely the most over-rated car of ever?

Golf Mk2: Same as above yet more bloated and even more bland.

Golf Mk3: Why, oh why does anyone rave about them? Even morer bloated, hopelessly and incredibly dull, rust like Lord knows what, shit interior, shit looks and shit to drive.

All following Golfs: (mostly) wanker chariots (mostly) driven by people who fell for the hype and think they have the greatest car in the world when very obviously they don't.

Bit harsh for what I think is a good car. MK2 Golf doesn't do anything for me though.

Does anyone really rave about the mk.3? Even the VW fanbois don't rate them that highly