Shite You CAN'T STAND!

PaykanHunter

Any car that I like that's been dropped on it's arse and ruined by some mong as is the trend with old cars these days. 

Or any car that was brilliant to drive from the factory such as the MX5 or old BMW's thats been dropped on it's arse to such an extent that it's no longer fun to drive.

Or any car that was known to have superb ride quality when new that's had the springs cut down to a coil by some mong.

Think there's a trend here.....

oh and the Nissan Qashqai.....

On 8/19/2020 at 11:55 AM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

A few years ago I had a white S-Type and did some weddings with it, usually quickie register office jobs £150 for 2 hours work- nice.

Anyway got a booking for a posher affair as the brides mother transport, They’d spent a fortune on two “Vintage” cars  for the Bride and bridesmaids.

Got to the house and was made to park down the road because the photographer was taking pics on the drive of two shonky Beaufords or similar, one open top, one closed. The wedding party came out and the bride was not a slender young girl ...

There was no way the bride and her very large father were going to fit in the back of what was effectively a mini shell sitting on bits of Granada and some plastic slides. After taking one look, she said “ Fuck that, I’m going in that Jag!” So I lead the procession in my wife’s SType shopping car. They were great and afterwards the father bunged me another £100 for saving the day. He said he’d paid a Grand for the 2 Vintage * cars and was most interested when I told him what they actually were, he was going to try and get some money back for misrepresentiion or some such.

My wife wanted a beauford. She was told to fuck right off on the basis I did'nt look like Liberace.

On 8/22/2020 at 6:36 PM, EssDeeWon said:

Any car with a fckin stupid loud exhaust system. I now live on a fairly busy road which I don’t mind until some twat boots it past in some heap of crap with a completely unnecessarily loud exhaust.  Often bolted to something about 10 years old and under 1300cc

Agree. If you’re gonna have a fart cannon exhaust, do so on a car with a nice sounding engine to start with. In other words 5 or more cylinders.

I have a pathological hate of anything 'scene' especially 'scene' VW's

Its fucking tragic, trying desperately to be like every other 'scene' dude, passed a 'scened' new beetle on the m6 on Sunday, complete with camouflage netting on the roof rack, driven by a 50 year old bloke, how fucking original.

Its not very AS I agree but still....

2 hours ago, Cheggers said:

I wonder how many of these hated cars will be fawned over by the 'shiters of 2040?

Well, I can remember the equivalent thread ten years ago mentioned new beetles, BINIS and LEAVes.  And whilst my LEAF seemed to stir up some derision, beetles and minis are most certainly AS material now.

Can’t agree there, look at the interest we get in our Capri’s, or Eddy’s yank tank, or the Lanchester. We are a broad church on here and long may that continue. But we can’t all like everything, no harm in that either as long as people are polite.

I'll second the hatred for anything with a "pop and bang" map on it, but add to that modern performance cars that start from cold with such an enormous loud flourish of noise, that it leads everyone to think the driver is an arsehole. Totally uncalled for.

Another twat bugbear is removing front number plates because it's trendy, that and heavily tinted number plates all scream monumental bell end.

1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

This!

If you don’t have some old French heap, your nothing and nobody and get ignored for the most part.

I'm pretty much done with posting on here as a result, even the Miniature tat thread is suffering from a narrowing viewpoint. I'll have a bash at the News 24 thread from time to time but my actual threads are pointless.

1 minute ago, Split_Pin said:

I'm pretty much done with posting on here as a result, even the Miniature tat thread is suffering from a narrowing viewpoint. I'll have a bash at the News 24 thread from time to time but my actual threads are pointless.

I don’t bother posting much anymore either, I used to come on here a lot and post in loads of threads. Trouble is, I decided to stop posting often and just stick to updating my own threads but even then, they just drop off the page un noticed!

I think people’s usernames have a lot to do with it too tbh. There seems to be a pecking order where some people are ignored and of little interest and the golden boys are held up as autoshite gods! Oh well!

Just now, danthecapriman said:

I don’t bother posting much anymore either, I used to come on here a lot and post in loads of threads. Trouble is, I decided to stop posting often and just stick to updating my own threads but even then, they just drop off the page un noticed!

I think people’s usernames have a lot to do with it too tbh. There seems to be a pecking order where some people are ignored and of little interest and the golden boys are held up as autoshite gods! Oh well!

Indeed. Others may disagree but I've just been looking at replies, including my own, on MK2 Craig's Channel Island chod thread back in 2008 and the spectrum of cars photographed and commented upon was wide and varied.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I'm pretty much done with posting on here as a result, even the Miniature tat thread is suffering from a narrowing viewpoint. 

I'll still be posting terrible off brand die casts on the Shite in Miniature thread! I only put a few bits on the eBay miniatures thread if I think they'll be interesting to lots of people, I know not many people care about Zylmex or MC Toys 

This was always going to be a divisive thread. 

Cars tend to change profile as they get older, take Mk2 Cavaliers as a random example.. 

New,  reps car,  common as muck but generally respected. 

5 - 10 years old. Family car, fond memories 

10 - 15 years old, cheap banger. 

15 - 20 years old, scruffy scrap, lowering the tone. 

20+ years, Ooh, lush, not seen one of those for ages, my dad had one etc etc. 

15 hours ago, Cheggers said:

I've always thought dissing other people's choice of car was a bit against the spirit of Autoshite.

I think that's more retrorides or the blue forum where "everything has potential" when in fact everyone's encouraged on there to paint their cat matte black and cut the springs then finds when it comes to selling time those same people are criticising them for doing it!!! 

I love this forum and never feel ignored, had loads of help from here as well and hopefully given some good advice as well ???

On 8/25/2020 at 7:11 PM, Timewaster said:

This was always going to be a divisive thread. 

Cars tend to change profile as they get older, take Mk2 Cavaliers as a random example.. 

New,  reps car,  common as muck but generally respected. 

5 - 10 years old. Family car, fond memories 

10 - 15 years old, cheap banger. 

15 - 20 years old, scruffy scrap, lowering the tone. 

20+ years, Ooh, lush, not seen one of those for ages, my dad had one etc etc. 

Most cars go through those stages in exactly that order, don't they?

1 hour ago, eddyramrod said:

Most cars go through those stages in exactly that order, don't they?

Well the ages and stages may differ for different cars but I believe so. 

Range Rover? 

New, Air of conspicuous wealth for captains of industry, well to do types, rich farmers wives, footballers. Out of my way peasant. 

5 - 10 years old, Drug dealer, Pub landlords image. Run without the deep pockets required for upkeep. 

10 - 20 years old.. Sat in a corner turning green, one flat tyre. Suspension sagged. Grass growing past the sills. 

Small Citroën or Peugeot 

New,  Old couple or housewifes transport to the shops, kept neat and tidy. 

5 to 10 years.  Mum's runaround full of car seats, Mcdonald's chips and sweet wrappers. Pogweasel pink. 

10 years plus,  Big wheels, big speakers and big exhaust.  Wheels spins in Asda car park

20 years plus. Rare 1 owner gem, Lacquer Peel but nice to see survive. 

This is of course all stereotyping nonsense but shows why our opinion of cars change over time. 

As a kid I had posters of Ferraris in my bedroom, I saw one the other day and didn't know what it was and frankly didn't care.

As a young man I hated 2CVs with a passion. I might give one a home now, although I wouldn't pay what they fetch.