is this shite....

VWPowered

afew of you have already seen this, those who haven't then here yer go

1987 Peugeot 505 GTD 2.5 Turbo Diesel, runs avec bon CT, came with a full set of studded winter wheels

308842_2393371925739_1594166563_2310793_649818372_n.jpg

310121_2393375845837_1594166563_2310797_1782106464_n.jpg

janine's ride until the passat is fixed then it'll be the second car and for weekend/show use only :D

Tis a thing of beauty. Probably not shite but it will get you straight up to the front doors of chateaux rather than sent round the back. :)

damn i prefer the back route lol, drives well 110bhp i believe, 0-60 in 13 seconds they say.. RWD ftw :lol: good thing about france, around here we have no salt thrown all over the road so cars here are generally rustfree 8)

They're such pretty cars but can be fragile. My dad had one in '79 which fell to bits and spent most of its life at "Booths of Ditton". Lovely though.

Booths of Ditton? He will have more likely than not met my dad at some point then. Will have been after '80 though.

Small, uninteresting fact. The Executive Vice President of Ford of Europe, Lewis Booth, is the brother of the boss of Booths of Ditton, John Booth. Their dad Lewis was a great chap, looked just like Frank Muir.

Wikipedia has got this wrong. Probably for PR reasons...

Back to the 505, class choice of wheelz sah.

They're such pretty cars but can be fragile. My dad had one in '79 which fell to bits and spent most of its life at "Booths of Ditton". Lovely though.

Booths of Ditton? He will have more likely than not met my dad at some point then. Will have been after '80 though.

Small, uninteresting fact. The Executive Vice President of Ford of Europe, Lewis Booth, is the brother of the boss of Booths of Ditton, John Booth. Their dad Lewis was a great chap, looked just like Frank Muir.

Wikipedia has got this wrong. Probably for PR reasons...

Back to the 505, class choice of wheelz sah.

He owned it from 1979-1981, so he will have done. I'm pretty sure he bought it at Codap, but fell out with them and switched to Booths. He had a number of Peugeots in the 1970s and, buying them at IDG on Atlantic St, Altrincham which was later Codap, which then moved to Handforth. IDG was really French - most of the brochures there were untransalated. I have a 604 brochure from them - it is just the French one.

My grandfather (who had a Rover?) was impressed with my dad's metallic green STI, and also bought one - but in 1980. I'm pretty sure he got it at Booths of Ditton though - I still have the plastic Booths key ring somewhere.

Can they?I thought these were meant to be the ultimate hard wearing car hence why 99.99% of them from the UK have been exported to Africa or have I been fed duff info or made stuff up in my head?

The French managed to build 'tough' and 'fragile' at the same time.

2CV. Very flimsy in many regards, yet mechanically tough as ol' boots.

AX. Very flimsy in many regards, yet even my wife's neglect failed to kill one!

CX. Horrific electrics, mechanically pretty solid.

Pug 305. Very tough, but as Wat's found, they can be frustratingly fickle at times.

Can they?I thought these were meant to be the ultimate hard wearing car hence why 99.99% of them from the UK have been exported to Africa or have I been fed duff info or made stuff up in my head?

My dad had a few big Peugeots in the 1970s. I'd say the 504 deserved its tag line "World famous for strength"; these were Africa's favourite for a reason. The 604 deserved it too. Both strong, reliable luxurious cars which were very safe for their time. My dad loved the 504, always.

His 505STI was a disaster. A few bits dropped off in the first few months but cars did that then - but overall it wasn't too bad. Good enough for my grandfather to get one (a 505SR) about six months after my dad. By twelve months old things were not so rosy. The car would not start when hot - ever. Stop at a motorway service station and you went home on a trailor. Its electrics were stunning; it is the only car I have known which managed to electrocute the AA man. My dad knew them by name locally by the time he'd sold the thing. The damn thing even managed to break down at my school gates, which at ten years old I found mortifying.

In fairness, eventually the reliability issues were largely sorted (the change of dealer helped here) but any car which needs new fuel injection, a new gearbox and clutch and lots of electrical work in the first year is fairly fragile. The DVLA database shows it managed 9 years. This amazes me given the rust holes it had at three years.

Vehicle enquiry

The enquiry is complete.The vehicle details for GVM 737V are:

Date of Liability 01 09 1988

Date of First Registration 25 10 1979

Year of Manufacture 1979

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1995cc

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type PETROL

Export Marker N

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour GREEN

It is testament to the basic design that despite this I still like the cars. They're pretty and drive extremely well and a car in the condition of the one bought by VWpowered will have had its issues sorted by caring previous owner, so should be more reliable.

picked up my 505 tonight, i have just found out that my new 1987 GTD 505 is really a 1985 505 Turbo Injection but in 1992 it was fitted with a 1988 GTD motor.. cracking to drive though... so anyone know anything about 505's, is the Turbo Injection top of the range ? it came with full service history, a little notebook detailing the conversion and was serviced every 5000kms, it does have electric mirrors and 4x electric windows, and a weird switch by the courtesy light with a mans mouth and test on it? any ideas what that may be..

296367_2406083043509_1594166563_2317915_1164924979_n.jpg

think i would have liked that 160bhp motor though :lol: