Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'electric car'.
Back in late March and early April thanks to a tip off from @Mrs6C, I negotiated a price for the pictured Enfield 8000 four seater (yes one of the two that exist ). I offered £800, seller countered with £850 and the man maths said "yes!" and it was still a discount over the £1k asking price. Since then it has been a bit of a slog getting updates. The seller would find himself busy with life and it did feel that the car and our deal was on the back burner. The chassis, as of April, was "solid" with just the front wishbone driver side suspension arm needing replacing which was finally completed a few days ago, thanks to having a real deadline with myself having arranged the courier (the seller had promised to sort out collection and delivery, but it was clear it wasn't happening). Still, in fairness, the work was completed at no extra cost to myself, and I look forward to taking delivery of the car Tuesday morning. When it arrives I'll be back here with a proper assessment and many a photo and/or video. I have also had a great deal of support and encouragement from @Will on Syrosbehind the scenes in PMs. I did make it clear when negotiating that my budget was not high, it would be my first car, everything was going to be done cheaply and on my driveway. That budget was £2000 and that is a budget that no longer exists at that amount, so expect to see some things of worth being placed in the appropriate thread from my good self to support the habit go into the battlechest. I don't expect a huge amount of work will be able to be done given the time of year, but I will keep you all apprised. Weather permitting come Tuesday morning, once the car has arrived I will give the car a clean inside and out as I like to have a clean and tidy working area. Otherwise it'll be moving the soft furnishings and vulnerable interior components inside, along with the spares (I have no idea what the spares will be, these will be documented in a later post). I already have a good idea on how I'm going to go about the restoration, however I'm holding off talking about most of that until I see the car for myself. One thing is the paint. I don't have the money for a professional respray, so I'm going the Not2grand DIY route. I've had a lot of experience with spray paints and with proper prep work, it'll look decent and far better than she does now. Verona BMW red is too expensive (it would be though wouldn't it?) so I'm going with Signal Red because Flame Red is too dark/doesn't feel right. Tubular steel and such is dirt cheap and I have a nearby supplier just 8 miles away and they do delivery - I can even get aluminium and tin from them which will be necessary. Most people will parrot "traction batteries!" but I'm not paying £1500. I'll take some measurements and go down the route of 8 12v 130-150ah batteries that will cost about £500. As an aside, the brochures/advertisements for the E8000 list the main battery pack as being 8 12v batteries, which I'll configure to be a 48v 260-300ah pack depending on the batteries I get and the space available. Furthermore, each E8000 was different and various battery configurations were experimented with during production and later by the Electricity Council. I'll be making a cardboard mock-up first and buying replacement cabling and lugs so as to have everything properly measured and relatively straightforward. The onboard charger will be ignored in favour of a Mean Well 48v PSU going into a solar charge controller. That or a Meanwell charger, price permitting. It wouldn't be fast but then I wouldn't be driving every day or going beyond a 20-25 mile round trip. Taking into account the Peukhert effect with what the motor would demand at full power (150amps, or 7.2kw/6kw to the drive wheels at roughly 83.25% efficiency), such a battery pack (12.48kw to 14.4kw depending on what fits the physical space and that I can afford) it would probably be reduced to 9-12kw depending on the pack size. Noting that if I went with a 150ah battery pack it would be reduced to 75ah capacity at full draw, but the bigger the battery pack the less of an impact. I just need not to drive around like a lunatic. Also until its done, this is all theory and speculation and I look forward to finding out the real statistics for my particular setup. Lastly, it should be clear as well is that this isn't going to be the next Flux Capacitor, very little if any restomodding will occur (although I have a couple of subtle ideas), and I will be cutting corners where I can to get the car functional, relatively reasonable to look at, and roadworthy. As an aside to those that will be annoyed by my approach: the car had been up for sale back in late 2019 when the previous seller bought it, then up for sale since January 2021 until March when the advert was taken down and it was after that when I started my enquiries, so many a chance to make a deal before I did. That said, I know from the various threads I've been lurking in here that most of you are reasonable and understanding. So here's to an enjoyable-as-possible restoration project!