Jump to content


Full Members
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by Saabnut

  1. Made it down to Cheltenham but that is a journey I don't want to repeat! Got up at 0500, packed the last few bits, checked emails and left the house dead on 0600 as planned. Not often that happens, and there was a price to pay! Pulled out of my drive, covered about 50m (remember my drive is a mile long) and heard a bang. Stopped to check and this happened: Good job I had packed the spare! The spare is of course the wrong size, but it goes round! Now, I have no spare and I have the best part of 1000 miles to cover before getting home. Considered returning home and swapping the Sonett onto my other trailer, but that would have meant leaving yhe 900 and taking the Disco, and as I had polished the 900, I used the logic of lightning never strikes twice and continued on with a flat spare! Must have been easy to park in any city today as every car in the UK was on the M6. My average speed between Carlisle and Cannok was 38mph. At J12 Cannock my satnav wanted to take me off, so switched on the radio to hear the M5 was closed and the M42 gridlocked. Followed my satnav which took me through the centre of Wolverhampton and Dudley which was fun with the trailer on. Worked though, as vehicles that had passed me way up the M6 were still passing me as I turned off. Overall 12 hours to cover 444 miles plus an hour swapping the wheel Knackered now though!
  2. Thanks to Bill at Saabits and Royal Mail, the new cylinders arrived on Tuesday afternoon and were the correct parts. New wheel cylinders fitted, bled through and handbrake adjusted. Bleeding was fun as the bleed nipple is below the pipe on these, so pipe was pushed through the back plate, cylinder connected upside down, bled then carefully turned and attached. All sorted and out of the shed last night, just in time for a downpour of biblical proportions that washed some of the dust off nicely. Today I bailed out the back of the 900 (the roof leaks below the rear window and it gathers in where the parcel shelf should be and makes an annoying sloshing on corners if you leave it) and the boot loaded with trolley jack, trailer spare, dugga gun, tent, air bed etc ready to go. Then the small trailer was hitched on and the Sonett loaded and strapped down. The 900 was then parked in to the barn as it was looking like another storm was on its way and I can't be bothered bailing it out again. Of course it was just a few spots.... The 900 has done 40 miles since its MOT after spending the last 2 years parked up waiting its turn. The Sonett has driven about 20 yards since a new ignition system and brakes after 3 years of sitting in the shed. Tomorrow I will leave home about 6am and head to Prescott, a mere 444 miles away. WCPGW?
  3. To get to the harbour, you have to drive past the police station which is a few hundred yards down the road. Good job he thought of that before driving a police magnet past with no licence.....
  4. Good result on the MOT, springs rarely break on the c900 which is my excuse for not spotting that! Ramp is here if you need it.
  5. No photos, but the rest of the suspension swap on the Disco went smoothly. I decided to replace the front turrets as the originals were showing a bit of delamination as I had bought new ones, although the old ones would have been fine for a few more years. The reason for buying them was I wanted to have new turret retainer rings on hand and every source said they invariably shear when being undone. Mine of course came off with no brakeage and the quality was so much better than the replacements, I decided to give them a clean, a coat of paint and reuse them. The replacements can stay on the shelf "just in case". Replacing the original EDC injection pump for a manual pump (the EDC is only fitted to the automatic 300TDi) hand fixed the lack of power at the cost of losing the kick down facility on the auto box. A bit of googling (OK a lot, there is not much info on these out there) suggested Armstrong Transmissions offered a set of brackets to get around this at a cost of around £60. Took a chance and ordered a set and two small metal brackets (admittedly of what looked high quality) arrived, and as my knowledge of diseasals is zero, my friend Gary fitted them, although neither of us had high hopes, and no instructions were provided. A short test run showed we were wrong, kickdown restored and £60 well spent. Today, I moved the Sonett out of the shed, planning on giving it a clean as it has 3 years worth of dust on it. The reason for the sudden flurry of activity on both the Sonett and the c900 is they are due at Prescott Hillclimb next weekend. The Sonett is going up the hill at Saabfest and the c900 is towing it down. Happy I was ahead of schedule, this morning was spent putting a new exhaust on one of the fleet for its new owner, a fellow Shiter, so will let them introduce it if they so wish. When I moved the Sonett out I noticed that the brakes appeared to be binding, so thought I would give them a strip and clean. Onto the ramp with it Straight away it was obvious that the fronts and offside rear were turning freely but the nearside rear was really binding badly. Pulled off the wheel and drum and sure enough the wheel cylinder is seized solid. Pulled off the offside rear to check that and again one of the two pistons was seized. Great. It was now 4:45 on Friday evening, and I have to leave home early next Friday morning. Shot inside but none of the usual suppliers were showing any in stock and the only ebay sellers advertising them are in Germany so no chance of getting them in time. Tried to ring Bill at Saabits to see if he had any suggestions but they had finished for the weekend as it was now after 5pm but left him a message. Gave up on that and resigned myself into spending the weekend contacting any Saab people I could think of to see if I could even get a secondhand set, so put the kettle on. Whilst drinking my tea, the phone rang and it was Bill returning my call - at 6pm on a Friday, that is what I call service. After explaining my needs, he went off and came back a couple of minutes later to say he had a couple on the shelf, but without boxes, hence not listed on his website. He said he will send them by Special Delivery for me and at a very reasonable price. If anyone wants anything for a Saab, I cannot recommend Bill at Saabits too highly. As the Sonett is in bits blocking the ramp for the weekend, just got to decide what to start on tomorrow....
  6. Today wasthe day to see if all the effort was worthwhile, and after 2 years off the road the Saab was taken to meet the man from the ministry at 10am. Sadly, he said no as there was zero effort on the nearside handbrake, annoyingly the very thing that took the car off the road. Back home, up on the ramp and a check, and it was as I thought, the brake pads had settled on the run down and the calliper just needed adjusting. A couple of minutes with the allen key and it seemed to be fine. A quick call to the tester, and an appointment at 1415 resulted in a clean pass! I said to the tester that I was heading home for a few days off before starting on the next one. Arrived home to find my friend Gary had just arrived and that plan went out of the window! Time to start the suspension swap on the Disco, with Donald keeping an eye on us |The old rear suspension put up a bit of a fight, but Mr Angry Grinder won the argument By the time we had had enough, the rear suspension is done and most of the front suspension is off. Hopefully finish it tomorrow
  7. I have now officially had enough of polishing! This morning whilst my power was off (a new customer being connected) I visited my motor factor and picked up a pair of new wiper blades, and fitted them on my return. A wipe down with panel wipe of all the plastic trim and an application of Chemical Boys New Look Trim Gel had it looking better. The wheel bolts were torqued and tyre pressures checked, so it is now ready for a visit to the man from the ministry. Have to say I think it looks a bit* better. Before: And after:
  8. Yesterday was a day of domestic duties, with a short break to go to the hardware shop for some glue to re-attach the velcro to the backing pad on my machine polisher. Today I started to make the Saab convertible look a bit more loved and a bit less "just dug out of a barn after being left for two years" with the hope of impressing the MOT tester shortly. Started off with 3M Ultra Fine Plus cutting compound. This is the middle coarse stuff of the three I have, as whilst the Saab was a bit pink in places, it was not bad considering it is about 7 years since it was last polished. This took an age but got it back to red. Next was a machine polish with 3M Rosa polish, which got it shiny, if a bit streaky, and added some basic protection. Finally, a hand polish with what is my favourite polish, and in my opinion, the best car wax in the world, Collinite 476S. I have been using this stuff since about 1999 when it was recommended to me. I have nearly finished the tin (which I opened about 8 years ago) so have just ordered some more. At just over £20 for a tin this size, it is not cheap but a little goes a long way and is the reason the red had not faded badly on the car, No photos of the car yet as the light had gone when I finished, and I want to do the trim bits as well and I had had enough for today. I did give the windscreen to remove the splatter and checked the wiper blades and found a split in one so off to get some new ones in the morning. The car looks superb, especially for 30+ year old red paint so I have a nice happy glow this evening!
  9. That weekend is Saabfest at Prescott Hill Climb, so whilst I will be in the area, I will not be able to attend.
  10. Whilst you are in there, if you are changing the big end shells, I would change the mains as well, they will have similar wear
  11. Not a huge amount achieved today, though I did tidy* up a bit of the shed (I moved shite around) and changed the order the cars are parked. Today was that rarest of rare days, warm and sunny in the North East of Scotland and despite having loads to do, nothing with a pressing deadline. Decided to take the Cobra to fetch milk from my local shop 4 miles away. Thought I would take the scenic route over the hills, and arrived home about 3 and a half hours later with my milk, having covered 147 miles. Must resist a repeat tomorrow as I have a lot to do, but a test run in the Sonett is looking more appealing.....
  12. A week has passed since my last update and a lot has happened. First the Enima covered just under a thousand miles to the FOD and back (480 miles door to field) and behaved perfectly, even the starter rarely failed to engage first try. A nice bonus was the expected 22-24mpg became 31mpg on the way home, fill to fill, so happy with that. A good run seems to have done it good. Returning home the next day from fetching milk and I had to wait for these to get out of the way, from the size of the chicks I think it was their first outing Next was back on to the Saab. A tidy up of the welds and some seem sealer had it looking like this A bit of exhaust paste around the weld and a completely genuine* Saab exhaust mount had that job crossed off. As soon as a replacement is available it will be done With those jobs done, the handbrake was adjusted, washers/wipers/lights etc checked and it is now ready for the man from the ministry. The plan is to use it to tow the Sonett down to Prescott Hill Climb for Saabfest at the end of the month. Talking of which.... Having found out from the PO that it was a Petronix unit, I phoned them and they were most helpful, and a new unit was ex stock. Including VAT, carriage and a trade discount it came to £208. Ordered Wednesday afternoon, it arrived Thursday morning, fantastic service. Malc came over this afternoon and he did all sorts of black magic and a couple of hours later he said to give it a try. Started first turn, let it warm up and the dynamic timing set. It now runs as well as it ever has in my ownership and it sounds superb. Had a look at the removed electronic igniter and where I thought a bit of silicon had been applied to waterproof it, it turns out the wire had broken, the case had been cut with a hacksaw to get access to solder it, and when that failed the wire had been stuck in place with silicon acting as glue. How it ever ran I am unsure.
  13. Back home at 11pm after an easy, stress free run! Can we have a football match every weekend please..... Thanks to all for a great weekend, good to catch up with old friends and to meet some new ones. Bed now....
  14. One word - Rainex! it will be fine and they lied about the rain anyway
  15. Started today by spending a large chunk of my ill gotten gains. First I ordered a new Petronix electronic ignition kit for the Sonett closely followed by springs, shocks and turrets for the Disco. Oh well, it is only money. Next was to load up the Enima for the FOD weekend as I collected and have been holding a few* BMW parts for @Six-cylinderbut before I could do that my friend Garry arrived with his welder. A couple of hours later and the Saab looked like this: Wish my welding was that good! Whilst at it, he stuck a patch on the silencer as there are no new ones available in the UK at the moment. The silencer naturally is very thin, but some exhaust paste should see it through the MOT by which time new ones should be about With that done, back to loading the Enima. Just about got it all in, but .... The starter has been temperamental since I got it but now I am planning a long journey and loaded it up, it has got worse! Took about 20 tries before it worked (and being auto a bump start is not an option) but I am going anyway so long as it starts eventually! What is AS life without a bit of uncertainty.......
  16. Well that was a long day! Started off on the c900 with a second bleed of the brakes. After sitting overnight, only one more air bubble came out so counted that as a win. Put the wheels back on and the brakes feel fine. I think the handbrake will need a further adjust once everything has settled, but at least it has a handbrake again for the first time in a while. Next on to the Enima. The oil in this was as black as any I have seen in years, despite the PO saying it had an annual service at MOT time. In addition, every so often, it would leave a trail of oil on the ground, but not all the time. Decided to give it an oil and filter change and see where the oil was leaking from. The drain plug required the dugga gun to release it and the oil slowly made its way out of the engine. Took me ages to find my filter wrench, but when I went to undo it, it was loose by nearly 3 turns and had oil leaking, not surprisingly, from it. As I unscrewed it, as it rotated the oil came out and stopped, explaining the intermittent leak. All cleaned up, new filter fitted and fresh oil. Another one done. As I was finishing off the Enima, my friend Malc arrived with his multimeter and a box of electrical wizardry. He dived into my welder and soon identified the control rotary switch for pulse welding was shorting out. Switch removed, dismantled and cleaned, re-assembled and I have a working welder once more. I have to give it a service as the wire feed tension and a few other bits need adjusting due to a couple of years resting in the corner, but that is stuff I can do. Finally, the Sonett. Malc was going to give me a hand to set the timing, as I have found out from the PO that distributor mods (welding the advance weights and blocking off the vacuum advance) have already been done. Started it up to let it warm up a bit and very soon, a pool of petrol appeared on the floor at the front. Quickly shut off and investigate. The Sonett has a complicated fuel system with lots of short lengths of mostly inaccessible pipes. Several clips needed tightening, but one hose continued to leak. Forty five bloody minutes it took to remove this little pipe Once off, a split in it under the clip became obvious, so a new pipe and clips was fitted. Fuel leak sorted, back to the timing. Of course, now it would not start, no spark. Carefully checked any wiring we may have disturbed, but still no joy. Eventually moving the wires at the distributor produced electrical shorting noises, The car has a pointless electronic unit fitted but the wiring has been severley bodged, including the use of silicon sealant for insulation! We carefully moved the wires around and tried again to show we are still optimists despite everything and it burst into life! Let it warm up and set the timing to 18 degrees BTDC as required. Sadly, once set, when revving the engine it misses a bit before backfiring in spectacular fashion. I need to contact the PO to see what system he fitted and get a new replacement unit that Malc has offered to fit as it involves electrickery which is a black art to me. No picture of the Sonett as it was pushed back into the naughty corner to consider what it has done.
  17. This morning I had to go and see my tenants to try and sort a couple of niggles. Proposals made and accepted on both sides and off to the motor factors for more oil and oil filters for the Disco and the Enima. Took the Disco as the Enima decided to blow a headlight bulb and it was foggy. On the way back, called in to see a friend to see if he could have a look at my welder, and of course to drink his tea. During this, I looked out at the Disco and noticed something was not right: Yes, that is a snapped off shock absorber. Can't complain, it is the original 25 year old suspension with 115k miles, most of which has been towing, a caravan for the first 23 years and car trailers/mini diggers since I have had it. I am going to look into replacing all the springs and shocks. Once home, back to the Saab. replaced the bleed nipple on the salvaged calliper, cleaned and lubricated the sliders and re-assembled. Of course, as the offside calliper had behaved perfectly, I had to remove it anyway for a clean and lubricate. Fortunately all went well. Once that was done, out with the eezibleed (I have a compressed air driven vacuum bleeder as well but 99% of the time the eezibleed is quicker and easier. Tomorrow I will give it a final bleed and give it a test.
  18. Decided I would have a weekend off away from grass cutting and car fixing. Saturday, spent a few hours watching you tube until I got bored. Switched the telly on. I hate watching sport. Choice of tennis, tennis, horse racing, rugby or repeats. Spent the rest of the day cutting grass This morning a friend came round and lots of shite was talked. Once he left I decided to put a bit of weld on an old sign frame that had cracked. My welder had other ideas. Powers up, fan runs, but nothing happens when the trigger is pulled (it is a SWP 220 MIG). It did this about a year ago but then fixed itself. Lots of prodding and poking but nothing. Suspecting the microswitch in the torch, I made up a jumper wire and shorted across the connections in the welder, but still nothing. This would seem to show it is not the torch, but that is as far as my electrical knowledge goes so will have to try and find someone local who will look at it without sucking their teeth and saying its FFM, big style. My friend who is sorting my calliper (with luck) had also volunteered to weld up the Saab for me. As the weather was crap and the Enima has not had a run for a while, decided to take it for a run and ask my mate to bring his welder when he comes over. Enima ran fine and my mate is happy to bring his welder over. As a bonus he gave me this back Yes, my brake calliper with a nut welded onto the sheared bleed nipple that is now loose! Top result, tomorrow it is refit and bleed the brakes.
  19. I am planning on being there for the weekend - got to get a holiday in some how
  20. Well, I jinxed myself! The Saab is currently broken..... First job was to see if I could get the handbrake working properley, on these the centre console has to come out to allow access to the cable adjusters, a fiddly job but all went well. The left hand cable (the one with the sticky calliper) was wound all the way in, so backed it right off and equalised the two cables. Feels fine but will not really know until it is back on its wheels. Next job was the front flexis, worth changing? Nothing wrong with the hoses but the ferrules had a bit of surface rust. Decided that as the rest of the system was done, might as well. And the other side Again all went well. Next job, have a look at the rust. The nearside appeared worst but a poke at the offside showed a similar problem Out with the wire brush in the grinder, and lets see how bad it really is. This is the only rust on the car, but it is 30 years old So not bad at all. Last job for the day, bleed the brakes. Out with the eezibleed and slacken the bleed nipples ready. Obviously the rears were no problem being new, but I was a bit worried about the fronts as they are the original callipers and new ones are not currently available. Offside was a bit dodgy but plenty of WD and gentle working and it came undone. Phew. The nearside however snapped clean off as soon as any pressure at all was applied. Looking at the fracture, it is obvious that it was damaged historically as there was rust on part of it so not entirely my fault, honest. My friend is going to try and get the remains out, but I have found a source of reconditioned ones as a back up so all is not lost. Back to the grass cutting whilst I await the return of the calliper.
  21. Yep, still have them all, life and work got in the way!
  • Create New...