Hi folks. Haven't put anything here for a while, so thought I'd update you all.
As per usual, no problems, so just tweaks to keep everything happy and some small mods.
The first thing was more maintenance. I was missing the splash guard from the drivers' side wheel arch, so bought one from eBay for something like £15 as well as some scrivets to fit it. All went on smoothly, but the thing does rattle quite a bit. You can't hear it while driving, but you can shake it about slightly. There's no danger of it falling off though.
While I was in there I did some cleaning. Another thing I'm going to have to order is a new crank pulley. Ever since I got the car it's had a chip out of it. That'll be throwing the crank balance out slightly and will probably be the cause of my alternator belt working its way loose every 6 months.
Here's what Hydragas does when you jack a car up
I ordered a number of other parts as well, including some brake pads that I don't need, a wiper stalk with fibre-optics (fancy), and an upper timing belt cover. The final thing that I really did need was some new number plate screws. The old ones were severely corroded.
He does look very fresh with no front plate:
You can see the extended version in my video here:
Next on the agenda were mods. Not big ones, only little things. The first was the steering wheel. I'd been hunting around for a three-spoke Austin Rover wheel for a while and found this Mk1 MG wheel for £13.
Ever since I was a kid I've wanted this wheel on a Mini/Metro, so I've been planning this one for a few years!
I'm not a massive fan of the MG look, as I want it more for the ergonomics, but as the Rover centre cap doesn't fit, I'll live with it.
Again, you can find the video version here:
The final mod was brought on by a fail. I decided one day to clean around the side repeaters. As I snapped the first one out, I found it was held in with a cut down 3M adhesive pad as the clip had broken. Bugger. New lenses on the way! But I thought I'd bling it up a little and go for clear ones instead, and I quite like them.
There will be a video version of this out tomorrow!
Apart from those little bits, I've just been doing a whole lot of driving!
Aside from the cars, I've been doing a little Hi-Fi maintenance. I've had this Denon DRM-550 tape deck for about six years and shoved it in a cupboard as it was running far too slowly. Today I got it out and had a fiddle. The belt is fine and I adjusted the speed through the hole on the back of the motor. It's a decent deck, so I added it to my main system in the place of an old Sony unit. It's no fancy DRM-750 with Dolby S, but it'll do!