Knobhead

pompei

That's me today - had to reverse down a narrow street in not the most salubrious part of town, and scraped the side of an M reg Chavalier - see pics. Full length scrape and dent :oops::oops::oops:

Left my details with the owners (who said they'd just bought it on Saturday for £300) They're going to get in touch with a price to repair.

Now I know I'd be hopping mad if that happened to me, but I'm anticipating that they might take the p*ss on this - what'd be a fair price to get this work done?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cost me something like £250 to repair similar damage on my Mira, but I used a really good (and pretty expensive) bodyshop.

Guest greenvanman

My deeply-loathed Felicia was written off for damage like that, simply because Skoda don't do separate door skins for that model - you have to buy complete doors. I reckon it's going to cost a couple of hundred quid to put that right. It would probably work out cheaper to buy it off them for what they paid, sell the chavvy alloys on the bay and weigh the rest in.

If they`ve just paid £300 for it it must be at least driveable, and Mk3 Cavaliers are not a bad way to get about, if they`ll sell you it then perhaps you could sell the alloys and run it on steels, if it turns out to be knackered then that is the time to think about weighing it in, at least give it a chance.They might not want to sell it. Just try and find 2 doors in the right colour. Maybe they`ll just settle for £50 out of your pocket and run it as it is. Maybe you`ll hear nothing more about it.

I bought an N reg Vectra with similar damage (plus a front wing) off someone at work in 2003 for £350 - it had been written off by the insurer.That damage will certainly write that car off as it would cost a good few hundred quid for door skins and respray.It could of course be bodged with filler but at £50 an hour labour it will still be expensive.Buying it off them is the easiest option if they will go for it, then flog it on retro rides, I would drive it as it is for sure!

Another vote for the secondhand doors out of a scrapyard option. I did that with a bumper on a Fiesta I bumped into once, after Ford wanted some ludicrous price. All-in it cost me £30 to buy and get fitted, and the lady even let me drive it rather than muck about giving her a lift as I "had an honest face".

Out of interest, go on www.askmid.com and do an insurance check.... there might be a reason he wants to settle between you! And so when he comes back with a quote of £250-£300 which it's likely to be to repair (I usually get quoted £120 per panel, but that looks to be a bit more work) you can just decline, and tell him you'll put it through the insurance and can you have his details?Obviously if he IS insured, I'd be buying the car off him and wanging it straight on ebay. It'll make at least £200 in that condition so cheaper than the repair.

I stuck a pair of "previously enjoyed" x-power grey doors on a (at the time 18 month old!) 25 not that long ago - perfect match for a £100 from ironically a man in longbridge. Unfortunately said car when barely 3 years old was squashed by dutch bastard HGV who never stopped.

Out of interest, go on www.askmid.com and do an insurance check....

Ooo, good website, cheers Pillock. I get green lights on all my fleet, but it's not fullproof, as my mates cars all come up red as he has a trade policy - guess a few members on here would get the same. Suppose that just means he might get stopped on occasion...

Out of interest, go on www.askmid.com and do an insurance check....

Ooo, good website, cheers Pillock. I get green lights on all my fleet, but it's not fullproof, as my mates cars all come up red as he has a trade policy - guess a few members on here would get the same. Suppose that just means he might get stopped on occasion...
If you have a trade policy you have to enter the MID data yourself either by telling your insurance or broker or in some cases online. I can do mine online . If you have a trade policy and don't enter the MID data for vehicles in your custody for more than 14 days they you can get prosecuted but worse than that you can be pulled and have the vehicle impounded until you can prove it's insured. That's just a pain in the arse so it's worth keeping it up to date.

Mine all come up red, except the Cadillac - obviously the previous owner didn't cancel his insurance - and the Volvo 164, which I've had since the days when I still bothered to update the MID. The only time I've ever been pulled as a result of the MID though is in the 825D, and I think they only ran a check on it because it was scruffy and I was out in it at 1am. I keep a photocopy of my insurance certificate in my jacket pocket though as proof that I do genuinely have a trader's policy and I'm not some pikey trying to get away with being uninsured.