when petrol was cheap

bones96

just read a bit in our local about this place

Posted Image

seems the old couple who owned it collected loads of vehicles but sadly none left on site now the last one was moved last week to be restored it was a 12 ton marshall steamroller reg pl 1564 the building was reputed to be an alladins cave of stuff from 1931 rolls royce phantom 1954 silver dawn and a mg pa sports car

Posted Image

damn wish i,d of got there sooner would of made some good photos

I often wondered- when passing. Sadly- never did anything about it. Thankfully- if it is indeed about to be opened up, this 'recession' will prob stop it being bulldozed so they could build some nice blocks of retirement homes there.Be nice to think it could re-open as a Museum -but with the value of land there- wont happen. I'd have a crack -if it came onto the market..

This place round the corner from me is just about to br flattened for housing. It used to be a vauxhall dealer with petrol forcourt in the distant past and it's last use was as a leisure centre. You can still see where the islands for the pumps were and on the gable end of the attached house you can still faintly see large white letters reading "Petrol Filling Station" It'd make a brilliant museum. Shame it's going :cry:

Posted Image

Would that be the 'eco-town' by any chance?Don't even start me on the subject.

No, thats a seperate deal entirely, although only a few hundred metres away from where this place is. The Liesure centre had a camp site behind it and the whole plot was earmarked for development well before this Eco town nonsense.

Eco Town eh? Funny you should mention that as that is a local sore point here too! One is supposed to be installed/built/whatever at Ford, a nearby village known mainly for it's open prison (and regular escapees!). I've no idea what it is all about really, just an excuse to deluge the local landscape, inc greenfield sites in houses! I didn't realise this 'Eco Town' smokescreen was being applied all over the country! It's causing a real uproar around here! :x