Carbon rationing, irrational...

bigstraight6

On the daily dose of gloom and doom eminating from my radio today is an absolute wheeze of an idea from some Government think tank evidently made up entirely of individuals who don't appear to lead a normal way of life, whereby we all have an annual 'carbon allowance'.How will that miricle of marketing work then? I do 1000+ miles every week just on business miles, would I have the same 'rations' as Bert & Aida Fossil who use their Nissan Micra once a week to collect pensions and a tin of cat food? And what happens if I use all my allocated 'ration', do I suddenly have to give up and go and live in a cave :roll:, Or could I go on ebay and buy some more :lol: Stop the World, I want to get off...

I heard that bit of tree hugging tax raising nonscence as well this morning. I don't understand how it would work though... I cover around 1000 miles a week but how would the powers that be know that so they could tax me accordingly?I assume you get so many credits and then have to buy more at a probably extortionate rate, but how do they know how much you use? Seems like it would require a small army of civil servants to administrate and run such a scheme whilst collecting a LOT of money in green taxes, but perhaps thats the whole point of it... :roll: Time to emigrate is getting closer...

I don't understand how it would work though... I cover around 1000 miles a week but how would the powers that be know that so they could tax me accordingly?

Stick a black box in everybody's car which records mileage, speed, fuel consumption per week, and reports back to the government/DVLA/insuance companies.If you go over your allocated mileage allowance or break any speed limits you get a bill in the post. Tampering with your box will result in a fine or imprisonment. :lol::lol::lol: I laugh, but I really should patent the idea, flog it to the government and make MEGABUCKS!!!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^Not so far-fetched I'm afraid - the technology already exists to do much of that,it's probably just a matter of time ... :cry: Didn't one of the big insurers offer reduced premiums if punters fixed one of their spy boxes in their motor?Carbon Schmarbon :evil:

I don't understand how it would work though... I cover around 1000 miles a week but how would the powers that be know that so they could tax me accordingly?

Stick a black box in everybody's car which records mileage, speed, fuel consumption per week, and reports back to the government/DVLA/insuance companies.If you go over your allocated mileage allowance or break any speed limits you get a bill in the post. Tampering with your box will result in a fine or imprisonment. :lol::lol::lol: I laugh, but I really should patent the idea, flog it to the government and make MEGABUCKS!!!
I think that's already their eventual plan, it's slowly heading that way it seems :roll:

Hmmm, yes I suppose you could see they could do that.Thing is though, as I work for a car rental company I change cars every day or two at present so keeping track of 'my' carbon use would be difficult I imagine.I'm sure they will find a way around it though :(

an absolute wheeze of an idea from some Government think tank, whereby we all have an annual 'carbon allowance'.

I burned the toast tonight - I think that's me fcuked then for my allowance.

Oh I mean come on - how the hell is this "policeable"?How does anyone know what I burn say when out camping on the wood burner or the calor stove? Its just another way the slimy b'stard gov't can squeeze more money out of us (the taxpayers) to pay for a war no one wants, or child care in Poland and a thousand other things that we seem to stump up for as a nation. I mean, they have taxed water (both going in and comung out if you look at the rates) Food is taxed (again both going in and coming back out again) so I suppose its only the air ( or our polouting of the air) that they have got left to tax now isnt it?I for one shall be leaving all the hospital lights on full tilt 24 hours a day and using the gas stove to keep the staff room warm.Gits.

I'm sure business miles will be exempted/treated differently.As a mate said on Friday, governments or government controlled organisations shut all the local post offices/primary schools/GP surgeries/small hopsitals etc, and then expect us all to travel less :o:?::o

Assuming we were carbon "negative" in the UK it wouldn't make a drop in the ocean of a difference when you think what India and China pump into the atmosphere...not to mention America.It's all a load of old cobblers dreamed up to try to wangle you out of your grubby little salaries.I still think road pricing is being put in place for the day when we have vehicles that do not pollute etc or use forms of energy that are not as easily taxed or controlled.Even if your car ran on fresh air they will still want the equivalent of 5 quid a gallon out of your pocket.... :evil:

There was a case a few years ago where a water company tried to extract money from a business that ran entirely on rainwater. I can't remember what the business was but I think it was on top of a mountain. The water company was basically claiming that they owned the water before it even hit the ground.