Disappearing Fast.

warren t claim

Agreed that MGs are disappearing.

I know of a garage on the northbound A1 around Peterborough with a hell of a lot of Fs and TFs outside, prices vary from £2000 right up to £16000 for an end of the line TF that's never even been used and has 36 miles on it.

Agreed that MGs are disappearing.

I know of a garage on the northbound A1 around Peterborough with a hell of a lot of Fs and TFs outside, prices vary from £2000 right up to £16000 for an end of the line TF that's never even been used and has 36 miles on it.

Trophy Cars.

Good thread revival, quite a few of the last lot are still around, but here goes

Fiat Punto

Fiat Bravo

Peugeot 206 (except around Leominster, where Peugeots live for ever :))

Peugeot 307 (ditto)

All Hyundais without an 'i' at the beginning of the model number (except Santa Fe)

Vectra B

Astra Mk 4

Focus Mk 1, with Mk2 getting pretty thin on the ground

Nissan Primera (they seem to be nearly extinct now, so an easy call)

Mercedes E Class W210 (?)

Jaguar X Type

Back again in five years time ;)

In five years time I guess first generation C1, aygo and the Peugeot one could be thin on the ground as I suspect they make a much better new car than a used one. Once a clutch is needed or something else major I think many will be binned off and treated like budget cars often are.

I can see the Mondeo mk3 becoming rare when either the piston rings have gone or the injectors have gone west. Vectras again I'm sure will become rare, unlike the cavalier that's looked back upon fondly, can't see many people rushing out there and start restoring them. Apart from here that is. By 2021 Ford Ka's will be attracting several thousand pounds OSF.

First gen Mazda 6's will be soon. Most of the diesels have long lunched their engines from injector/DPF/etc problems. The petrol ones left are succumbing to rot.

Saab 9-5's are getting thin on the ground too - especially pre-facelift. Most from poor maintance and oil sludging. Thankfully those that are surviving tend to be owned by enthusiasts.

Gooners will start dieing off more and more with the heavy rains. However I reckon a large proportion of them are hidden away in garages by giffer owners doing 1k p/a, so may survive a good while yet.

Interesting about the Avantimes and Vel Satis though. The Avantimes are bloody expensive now. Vel Satis seem to still be soldiering on - especially considering the few number that were sold here. I guess the, generally solid, Nissan 3.5 v6 is helping them.

Any '07' Peugeot or its Citroen equivalent - not only are they fragile and troublesome, they have all the desireability of a genital wart so why would you bother fixing one when it inevitably grenades itself? Of course, the exception to this will no doubt be the 107/C1 and its Toyota twin, which are probably the only modern cockroach cars.

Vauxhall Corsa D - There's a distinct lifecycle that every generation of Corsa goes through: new car - chavvy car - scrapyard. Now that there's a version heavily facelifted enough for idiots to think it's all-new, it's likely that the 'old' ones will enter that tough second stage. And about time too, they have absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever.

Pre-facelift Ford Transit Mk3 - The remaining examples of this dying breed now look so shagged and abused that it's only a matter of time before they start giving up on life in large numbers. And much as I like Ford's 'Puma' Duratorq engine, it's not a patch on the old 2.5DI for toughness.

Jaguar X-type - Never much loved, as these complex and potentially fragile old things end up in the hands of people who just want a cheap Jag to smoke around in it's inevitable they'll all die. A shame, as some wonderful engineering effort went into them.

Any noughties BMW - Running a car with iDrive on a gaffer tape and cable tie budget? Can't see that happening somehow.

Even Peugeot 406's are getting thin on the ground tbh.

Peugeot 407's are decreasing at, what appears to be, a faster rate than 406's around here.

As I drive a 406 I'm always looking out for them and it's true that there aren't as many about considering how many there were at one time. I know it's been said before but to me it still feels a modern car with abs, pas etc even though it's now 15 years old. True about the 407 being a rare beast too.

Just checked 'how many left', all models 406 and 407 shows that there are actually more 407's but they didn't sell as many new. I think they will decrease quicker too due to being more complex and expensive to fix. Both models seem to be disappearing at the rate of 2000 every 3 months!

post-19517-0-61777400-1463002587_thumb.png

post-19517-0-00679400-1463002598_thumb.png

The original Focus is well into back Street banger territory now. Still quite a few around, but all seem utterly shagged

I don't know. Looked at one yesterday as it goes a 51 plate1.6 Ghia Saloon, 88k on the clock, full history £650. Solid as a rock it was. No good for me though being a saloon. At that price you can't go wrong.

There's bloody loads of 406s round here, only seen a couple of pre-facelift ones recently though. Speaking to my tame MOT tester it seems that rotten sills and neglect are about all that will kill a 406 but considering I paid 60 quid for an MOT'd 03-plate HDi Rapier that needs two droplinks and a wheel bearing a couple of weeks ago they're at the very bottom of their price curve.

This one is still plated in the town I work in.77a40f324a69f03667670c4a8f80964a.jpg

egg, on 12 May 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

Ford Cougar dropping rapidly, short production run. Not a lot of love, never see them mentioned here.

Somebody on here has/had one, can't remember who. It turned up at our South Lakes meet 3 years ago IIRC.

My next-door neighbour has a V6, also a mate of mine used to have a V6.

I drove my mate's once, it was identical in pretty much every way to my V6 Calibra except the interior was much more plasticky and tacky. And the styling is marmite.

Even Peugeot 406's are getting thin on the ground tbh.

Peugeot 407's are decreasing at, what appears to be, a faster rate than 406's around here.

Not surprised, I rescued a condemned 407 from the scrappers because of bad earths - garages were "diagnosing" various faulty electronic components at huge huge money.

Thankfully a 2.0 HDi - the 1.6 diesel would be scrapped for mechanical problems even sooner