Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Disappearing Fast.

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Formula Autos

Formula Autos

• Full Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationin the glow of Sellafield

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

There are almost no Rover 800s left in West Cumbria - the only ones I've seen recently were a Vitesse towing a caravan and two coupes (one sitting, seemingly dead, outside a country pub). Five years ago they were the pub landlord's weapon of choice around here, and could be glimpsed near a fair few pubs (GR8 for ferrying pork scratchings from the cash and carry). Now pub landlords round here seem to smoke around in 4x4s - either Range Rovers and Discoveries over 10 years old, or Kia Sorentos/ Ssang-Yyong uglyb'stards (or whatever they're called) of about four or five years old (again, GR8 4 the cash and carry).

There seems to be loads of Rover 600s surviving around here though. Strange. I guess there weren't many fitted with the K(ettle)-series?

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Hello Buglers!

#62 OFFLINE   catsinthewelder

catsinthewelder

• Full Members
  • 2,968 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationLudlow

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

I'd completely forgotten about Rover 600's, there's a slightly chavvy one kicking round town but apart from that I haven't seen one for ages. We've still got a few 800's left though including one in the carpark at work :D

I think the Picassos might be with us a while, they don't tend to attract owners who'll thrash them and the X plate example at work stlll looks fairly fresh for its 250k :shock:

Peugeots seem to last a long time around here, the last 305 seems to have died but 106,205.306,405,406 are still around in numbers with a couple of 309s still in active service :D
96 Disastra Estate in Vulgalours hat purple
94 Peugeot 405 Estate
93 Land Rover Discovery 200TDI

#63 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 6,157 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationLugbúrz

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

Agreed. I think if you drive/like a certain type of car you seem to notice other examples more as you're out and about.

Can't remember the last time I saw another Calibra out there on the road, Billy... except Captain Flimble's V6 and my cousin's 2.0 8v (both pre-V grille, of course).

Never knowingly under-ambitious

'97 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'88 Yamaha XJ900F

'86 Honda CBX 750F
'82 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana

#64 OFFLINE   AnthonyG

AnthonyG

• Full Members
  • 3,143 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

There seems to be loads of Rover 600s surviving around here though. Strange. I guess there weren't many fitted with the K(ettle)-series?

I don't think any 600s did - the engines were shared with Honda, apart from the L series diesel (waits to be corrected!)

#65 OFFLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Full Members
  • 35,855 posts
  • 132 thanks
  • LocationI'm not a racist, I'm merely supporting my country! and central locking

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

Agreed. I think if you drive/like a certain type of car you seem to notice other examples more as you're out and about.

Can't remember the last time I saw another Calibra out there on the road, Billy... except Captain Flimble's V6 and my cousin's 2.0 8v (both pre-V grille, of course).

I might be seeing one very soon, all being well. Certainly not many left full stop though, an early 8V in white or one of those special edition supertouring type ones in white would do nicely.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#66 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 6,157 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationLugbúrz

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

I might be seeing one very soon, all being well. Certainly not many left full stop though, an early 8V in white or one of those special edition supertouring type ones in white would do nicely.

Haha yep, they look best in white. My V6 is white, as is Flimble's V6 and my cuz's 8v. By special edition do you mean DTM?

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'88 Yamaha XJ900F

'86 Honda CBX 750F

#67 OFFLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Full Members
  • 35,855 posts
  • 132 thanks
  • LocationI'm not a racist, I'm merely supporting my country! and central locking

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

That's the one. Missed one a while back now, Cat C on eBay but looked nice and think it was repaired too. ended up somewhere around the £750 mark I think on eBay.

Just waiting for someone with an 8V one to get back to me now, he's quite hard to get hold of and I'm not sure if we have a deal or not.
"As for actually admitting to liking Corsas on a public forum: you're a bollock-brained, biscuit-eating, faux-northern, bastardy, bollocky, wank-brain"

#68 OFFLINE   ashmicro

ashmicro

• Full Members
  • 3,836 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationIn the shed, with your sister.

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

No K in the 600. Rover T series Turbo, Rover L Series Diesel, or Japcrap engines.
I am the Pope.

#69 OFFLINE   Lord Sterling

Lord Sterling

• Full Members
  • 6,687 posts
  • 21 thanks
  • LocationNorth Worcestershire or İstanbul, Türkiye

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:11 PM

There are almost no Rover 800s left in West Cumbria - two coupes (one sitting, seemingly dead, outside a country pub)

Hey Forumla, you couldnt capture a pic of the seemingly dead one could you?

Rover 800s have been pretty scarce for years, even back in the day. I've probably seen a handful in the last few years around Birmingham.

There is still a proportion of 600s floating about though, loads of R8 200s/400s, not surprising as they did churn them out down the road.

Mk4 Fiestas seem to be rpaidly disappearing though. There used to be loads but now you'd be lucky to spot them in single numbers per day, same with early KAs, loads of lateplated KA2s still doing service.

Mk1 Vectras are dwindling in numbers too, though they have got passed the council-estate stage and are being scrapped faster than they can move. Similar story with the Mk1 Focuses.

Mk1 Toyota Avensis has all but replaced the Carina II, I remember there used be loads inclding some still used as private cabs, not seen one for ages, though even the Mk1 Avensis' are starting to disappear.
.31109980376_e6f01e6edd_o.jpg

▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░..AUTOSHITE; bringing misery and despair to the world of motoring..░▒▓█▄▀▄▀▄

سبحان الله

AUTOSHITES CRUMBLING EXECUSHITE LEAGUE...
'03 BMW 316i SE - ...Daily... :lol:
'97 Rover 825 Sterling auto - ...It lives!...Sort of... :|
'95 Rover 827 Sterling auto - ...Broken... :(
'90 Rover 827 Sterling auto - ...Broken... :(
'87 Rover 825 Sterling auto - ...Sitting... :neutral:
'87 Rover 820E auto - ...Garaged... :mrgreen:

...To get things done, You better not mess with Major Tom...

#70 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 4,637 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

The ADO16 lookalike Corollas.

Ever since you wrote this, I've seen the bloody things everywhere.
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

#71 OFFLINE   baldrickthecunning

baldrickthecunning

• Full Members
  • 125 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSouth East

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

I think we ought to get some photos of each of the models mentioned in this thread and check to see if they are still alive in 5 years time. Since this thread started I have passed every single car mentioned.
2000 Peugeot 306 Meridian HDi

Posted Image

#72 OFFLINE   Craig the Princess

Craig the Princess

• Full Members
  • 3,448 posts
  • 6 thanks

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:44 PM

No K in the 600. Rover T series Turbo, Rover L Series Diesel, or Japcrap engines.

And non-turbo T-series. I wonder how many 620Ti cars are left, the ultimate 90s Q car?

Filtered through the Heather!

#73 OFFLINE   Formula Autos

Formula Autos

• Full Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationin the glow of Sellafield

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

There are almost no Rover 800s left in West Cumbria - two coupes (one sitting, seemingly dead, outside a country pub)

Hey Formula, you couldnt capture a pic of the seemingly dead one could you?

Happy to oblige Sir.

I snapped it a few days ago, but hadn't got round to uploading it onto Flickr.

Posted Image

I think it's there mainly to stop anyone breaking into the (now empty) pub via the cellar doors, which are juuuuust in front of the car. It's just off the main road, so I see it most days. All the tyres are now flat, but it seems to still look OK, cosmetically - missing trim aside.

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Hello Buglers!

#74 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 4,637 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

I wonder how many 620Ti cars are left, the ultimate 90s Q car?

Myth. The one i had was quick enough but didn't feel quick or handle.
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

#75 OFFLINE   Lord Sterling

Lord Sterling

• Full Members
  • 6,687 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:32 AM

Happy to oblige Sir.

I snapped it a few days ago, but hadn't got round to uploading it onto Flickr.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6178/6199...

Thanks FA! Strange looking one this, it looks like a post-96 Vitesse but has pre-96 Black-topped bumpers, I strongly suspect that it may be a pre-96 827 Sterling with post-96 crap stuck to it (Alloys, tinted rear lights) these being a popular mod amongst many in the Rover 800 circle.

You didnt manage to get the plate by any chance just to see whats what on the DVLC. It looks pretty clean despite its usage as a celler door lock.

▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░..AUTOSHITE; bringing misery and despair to the world of motoring..░▒▓█▄▀▄▀▄

سبحان الله

#76 OFFLINE   AnthonyG

AnthonyG

• Full Members
  • 3,143 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

Mk1 Toyota Avensis has all but replaced the Carina II, I remember there used be loads inclding some still used as private cabs, not seen one for ages, though even the Mk1 Avensis' are starting to disappear.

(Pedant mode on) Do you mean the Carina E? - Carina II was the 88-93 one, made in Japan, Carina E was the first Derby built car, 93-98 (Pedant mode off).

There are probably Carina II s still running around in somewhere in Sandwell :) . I saw a pale blue '85 Nissan Cherry last week, so anything is possible.

#77 OFFLINE   Lord Sterling

Lord Sterling

• Full Members
  • 6,687 posts
  • 21 thanks

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:49 PM

Mk1 Toyota Avensis has all but replaced the Carina II, I remember there used be loads including some still used as private cabs, not seen one for ages, though even the Mk1 Avensis' are starting to disappear.

(Pedant mode on) Do you mean the Carina E? - Carina II was the 88-93 one, made in Japan, Carina E was the first Derby built car, 93-98 (Pedant mode off).

There are probably Carina II s still running around in somewhere in Sandwell :) . I saw a pale blue '85 Nissan Cherry last week, so anything is possible.

Bah! :oops: Yes I meant the 'E'. How could I get that wrong? To be honest, if you go into certain areas of Birmingham, like Small Heath, Sparkbrook/Sparkhill you'll still see a few Carina Es about on thier last legs. The IIs have almost disappeared, though the ones I do see arent in too bad a condition, they at least look clean and well looked after.

سبحان الله

#78 OFFLINE   Pete-M

Pete-M

ALL VXLs ARE SHIT.

• Full Members
  • 8,722 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationThe Glorious Peoples Republic of Liverpool.

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:53 PM

if you go into certain areas of Birmingham, like Small Heath, Sparkbrook/Sparkhill you'll still see a few Carina Es about on thier last legs. The IIs have almost disappeared, though the ones I do see arent in too bad a condition, they at least look clean and well looked after.

Go to Derby and they're still being used as cabs. Loads of 'em.

214837.png 180526.png

Never knowingly inoffensive.

#79 OFFLINE   Joseph

Joseph

• Full Members
  • 161 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

I haven't seen an original MK-1 Volvo 460 for yonks in my neck of the woods (Glasgow area), and I mean yonks. I think I've probably seen about two in eight or so years (you know the ones, big chrome grille with Lambda-Sond badge on it!) All of the 400 series are at risk of extinction as they don't send their power to the rear wheels (cue 300 series drift brigade). Also, ever seen an N-Reg Volvo S/V40? I've only ever seen two or three! Don't see many before V-Reg nowadays, which is sad, as I noticed hundreds when my dad had an R-Reg 2.0 SE a couple of years back. Relatively oddball cars which were not very popular from new are likely to disappear, most notably saloons due to their lower levels of practicality compared to hatches and estates - a fate which has sadly befallen many of the older Volvo saloons as above. Therefore, don't hold out much hope for survival of the likes of the Proton Persona; Volkswagen Vento; Fiat Marea; Daewoo Lacetti/Leganza; Ford Scorpio etc.

"Ah wouldny buy an ex-police car"

"Aye, but if it's ex-police then you know it's been serviced oot its tits"

#80 OFFLINE   scooters

scooters

• Full Members
  • 3,472 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationanybody know why this alternator isn't working?

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

V40s were a common sight but you don't see them now - S40s cn be spotted in giffer spec. V40 lacks the indestructibility of the earlier 'proper' Volvos - funnily enough the Daf 77...sorry Volvo 300 series seems to be a lot more common than I thought it would be - seen at least half a dozen in the last month.

Saw a Hyundai Sonata for the first time in yonks today.

Also saw an OMG SAXO on the Forth bridge last night wih 4 of the nastiest looking wee shites I have seen for a while in it - all slouched over giving everyone evils - tailgated the BX up the hill at Inverkiething - before turning off in an OMG DID U C DA DRIFT JUS LIKE VIN DEESIL type way. Sadly I thik that the Saxo, which was not a bad wee car - has become such an object of hate that none will survive.

I did notice the horrible wee nyaffs have turned their attention to the 106 - hope it doesn't go the same way - they have tried with the 306 but fortunately insurance is still a bit pricey!

no one has menitoned the BX - post scrapage carnage on the model has been unbelievable - DVLA figures aere dodgey but the 1.4 and 1.6 have gone from thousands to low tens in a matter of 4years - thanks Mandleson you horrible little prick

1985 Citroen CX25 GTi (broken engine)

1996 Volvo 850 T5

1982 Volvo 244 DL 

1996 Citroen XM Tdi (collecting from Phil very soon)

lancia Beta Coupe project

1990 BMW Baur TC 325

#81 OFFLINE   Cavcraft

Cavcraft

• Full Members
  • 35,855 posts
  • 132 thanks

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

AXs are rapidly disappearing, but I reckon the Saxo will survive well due to the association with chavs, rather than because of it. I reckon standard or subtley modified ones will beccome reasonably sought after in the future as people relive their youth. The Nova is a good example of that now that the snowplough bumper tossers have mostly deserted them.

#82 OFFLINE   scooters

scooters

• Full Members
  • 3,472 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationanybody know why this alternator isn't working?

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

AXs are rapidly disappearing, but I reckon the Saxo will survive well due to the association with chavs, rather than because of it. I reckon standard or subtley modified ones will beccome reasonably sought after in the future as people relive their youth. The Nova is a good example of that now that the snowplough bumper tossers have mostly deserted them.

Visas seem to be comanding some dosh from collectors these days especially good ones - I suppose AXs especially in well kept pov giffer or hooligan form will probably do the same but not until they becoe as rare as an Ami!

Had my beady eye on a really nice giffer spec Renner 5 which some old fart was using until about 3 months ago - I had ment to put a card on the windscreen telling him to call me when he wanted to get rid of it - I never did and sadly it seems to have gone.

1985 Citroen CX25 GTi (broken engine)

1996 Volvo 850 T5

1982 Volvo 244 DL 

1996 Citroen XM Tdi (collecting from Phil very soon)

lancia Beta Coupe project

1990 BMW Baur TC 325

#83 OFFLINE   Joseph

Joseph

• Full Members
  • 161 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

I know these are relatively new, but I can't see many of them selling. A bit like a modern-day Talbot Tagora, in my opinion...

Posted Image

Over twenty grand for a Suzuki saloon car. It even comes with a big, thirsty petrol (2.4 litres) and a CVT auto box.

"Ah wouldny buy an ex-police car"

"Aye, but if it's ex-police then you know it's been serviced oot its tits"

#84 OFFLINE   Station

Station

• Full Members
  • 9,792 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

I haven't seen a Calibra for many months.

#85 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 3,348 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:51 PM

i passed 2 on friday on the road

END of the road for the  MONTURDO !! :-(  :-(  :-(  

Long live fozzie the Focus  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:   

#86 OFFLINE   John F

John F

• Full Members
  • 6,157 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationLugbúrz

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

I've seen several, but apart from a tatty one with no back bumper I saw on the A59 Autobahn by Duisburg about a month ago they all belong to me or to people I know.

'94 Vauxhall Calibra V6
'91 Maserati 222 SE

'88 Yamaha XJ900F

'86 Honda CBX 750F

#87 OFFLINE   Partridge

Partridge

• Full Members
  • 4,785 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationFreezer

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

MK 1 Xara and any Xants are getting thin on the ground.
Haven't seen a Freelander 1 for a while now...

Dugong- "Yes. Crashing a Ghibli through a hotel room made of champagne whilst off your swede on forest argh would be great."

Mouseflakes- "Are these wafer-thin slices of an actual clown's face?"

WilsonWilson - "What is this? A Vtec for ants?"

1994 Peugeot 405 STI Auto

1999 Volvo V70 2.5 CD

2000 Renault Laguna DTi estate

2002 Honda Accord 2.0 (MK6)

#88 OFFLINE   Albert Ross

Albert Ross

• Full Members
  • 4,474 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationDoncaster

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Toyota Picnic.
Stormy Petrel on a stick!!

#89 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 5,997 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationGippeswick, which is near the fine place called Bungay!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Toyota Paseo? Not seen one in at least 2 years.
Toyota Space Cruiser..
Yer can't beat a bit o' Autoshite

Felly :P

#90 OFFLINE   pervypaul

pervypaul

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

Seat Ibiza Mk1 and Mk2's have all but vanished

0 user(s) are reading this topic