The "Someone put me off buying" thread...

outlaw118

If the person selling is the person on the registration document, and it's genuine, then why not? It's a bit modern for my taste but if it's something very unusual and you have nothing else pressing for money (if your Capri is okay in bits for now :P like mine), then think about it and talk to your partner / friend about it.That AMC Kharmann thing.. oh my god that's rustier than my Marina, but I would buy it too. The rediuclous amount of rust and missing metal is scary, but you gotta have it.You could spend £500 on a pair of designer jeans, or a designer jacket, or a suit... all those things are likely to have cost less than £100 to make. Get something that cost more to make than you're buying it for, something that will last and may end up in a museum in a hundred years. something you can share with friends and attract the publics' attention with.or....No, dont buy it! it's made of bananas and you're allergic, remember? Also your Capri wants fixing. :P

Insofar as it's possible to be vaguely sensible about a purchase like this, the mechanicals shouldn't be a disaster to maintain. The engine is the same five-cylinder turbomotor as in later Fiat Coupe Turbos - far more reliable than the old integrale-derived turbo 16V fours. The build on Kappas is pretty good, especially as this is one of the last ones built (2000 build date according to the ad). That is some truly jaw-dropping depreciation - this has to have been at least a €35,000 car when it was new, maybe even closer to €40k.

Killer autoshite fact - the reason the estate versions of these look a bit odd is because the shells were literally pulled off the saloon line at Rivalta and sent to Pininfarina's plant for conversion to an estate body. The resulting slight dip in the roofline at the trailing edge of the rear door was hidden by this plastic roofrail thing, with integral Pininfarina logo:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Though I suppose in all fairness, Citroen did not make the estate themselves, farming the work out to Herculoiz (or someone) who basically took a saloon and then grafted a bit extra on - I must say i do like their 3 door effort though.

Posted Image