A question for eBayers....

MrRegieRitmo

Anybody notice anything strange about their feedback ratings? Mine has jumped nearly 300 overnight! :shock: I know they were making changes recently but I didn't expect it to be anything of that nature, was there a notification about that which I might have 'overlooked?'My first thought was 'I've been hacked!' but everything appears to be in order! Although I'm not sure why your average friendly account hacker would 'bump up' your f/b rating! :lol:

I saw that too. Mine's gone up 42! I think it's part of the rejig - one assumes that multiple (but separate) purchases with the same seller now get an individual score, rather than before when it wouldn't add anything.

I think they have started giving credits for multiple transactiosn with the same person, but only backdated a little bit I think, not for the whole of time. Mine went from 950-ish to 1010. :)A nice little bonus, but they are still wankers regarding the new systems where a seller cannot neg a non-payer. TOSS!!!!As a result I have cancelled all my subscriptions with them, closed my 'shop' and will let my few remaining listings run for a week before that's the lot, ever. I am not prepared to trade in an environment where it is so firmly weighted in a buyers avour, given the huge amount of moronic, bottom-feeting numpties they permit to hold accounts. I have been experimenting with my own on-line shop based on my website (www.pogspeed.com) and have had some quite good sucess. It's tricky to manage compared to eBay, but it's the only way, and doesn't cost me a bean.

Well I have to say although the boost is welcome being that I make a great deal of purchases from repeat sellers (in which case my rating should be a hell of alot higher still, as the 'feedback left for others' i.e. left by me is the only accurate way to tell the true number of purchases made because I have made a point of always leaving feedback for other people, & that number is about another 300 higher than my new rating!) I'm not actually sure why they've made this change & what it achieves. Yes it gives people a better idea, at first glance roughly how many actual transactions I've made as opposed to roughly how many unique sellers I've dealt with, but so what?! Surely all that matters is that you've had a successful experience with each 'person' not that each single item you've purchased was 'spot on'. You're rating the person as a buyer/seller not the item. Yes if an item is not as described you're going to let people know, but not so that they don't purchase that item, it's so you can warn people to be careful of that seller. EDIT: although one thing I'm chuffed about is returning to 100% positive feedback, as they've now changed it to only apply to the last 12 months. I had gained 1 unnecessary neg about 4 years ago.

A nice little bonus, but they are still wankers regarding the new systems where a seller cannot neg a non-payer. TOSS!!!!

But surely the whole process of successfully dealing with people on eBay hinges on your feedback rating & how your reputation for being a decent buyer / seller builds up otherwise the whole thing falls down. It can't work if people don't know who is gonna screw them over, from either a buying or selling perspective!

Exactly Reg. I reckon a good 40% of all vehicle sales get knobbed up by arseholes, and I've had several occasions with 'phantom' bidders on lesser items. Being able to instigate NPB, get a refund on FVF and batter them up with a big fat NEG shows the rest of eBay that they are knobends and best avoided. Now, how on earth do you weed out dead-beat bidders. And worse: How many "100%" ebayers are going to be on the end of chav extortion: "Give me it for nuffink an I won't neg ya".Before there was at least a stalemate over unsatisfactory deals, now the buyer holds all the cards. RUBBISH!

The price of selling a car on the Bay is also extortionate these days - can't recall exactly what they stung me for on the £230 405 Harlequin, but I'm sure it was > £20. I will probably sell a few more mags on there over time but that's as far as it goes really. Still good for buying stuff you'd struggle to find elsewhere easily mind! :wink:

Ebay is becoming a right pain in the arse now. The feedback change is ridiculous and I can imagine that most sellers are going to dislike the new system very much if they can't neg numpties.Considering how expensive ebay is, the service you get is piss poor. We have around 500 items on ebay at any one time and are paying them a lot of money in fees, over the summer the plan is to start to move away from ebay and sell through other avenues.

I must admit I pretty much just used ebay before, it does seem that every transaction now is a chore and I fully expect to have to relist twice before finally selling a car, if it goes through first time it's a rarity! Anyway, personally had enough, threatened to neg the highly rated winning bidder of my birds BMW when he said his son used his account and he said his son used the account and suggested that that was the last thing he needed and would sort out payment, heard about the new regime and heard nothing since, so I tried Autotrader but what else is out there and viable?

Ebay's shite -and getting worse. Its the complacency that gets me -its needs competition to thrive properly.Perhaps we need to build a competitor site between us - initially just for Autoshite? Ebay started with jelly bean holders- perhaps we could strike it rich with 'Tat bay'.

Yep... the problem is there's no decent competition.. the other online auctions like QXL are very little used in comparison.. WHich is a shame as ebay are becoming greedy.I hate the new feedback system as well.. It means people will just bid on cars they might fancy, come have a look at auction end, decide they dont want and leave. And what is the seller going to do about it? Nothing.

Has anyone emailed them to express just what a load of bollocks this new system is? I sent them several emails when they changed the search system the first time, and I did get replies - and replies written by a real live Indian, not computer-generated form responses. They've now reintroduced the new search system, but it's not nearly as crap as it was the first time round so it sounds as if they might actually have listened to people's comments (unlikely though that may seem). For example, the most idiotic thing I found with the old search system was that you could no longer search motorcycles by engine capacity - I (and presumably many other bikers) pointed out to them how stupid this was and they've now included a "search by capacity" feature in the revised version (albeit with rather nonsensical categories - 75 to 224cc? what the feck is the point in that? Probably designed by an American). If they get a load of powersellers emailing them saying "your new system's f***ing stupid and I'm going to stop using eBay" then surely just the potential lost revenue would make them take some notice? Or am I just being naive?

Naive, I am afraid. I have mailed them, phoned them, all you get is blather. Basically the current CEO wants eBay to be about big sellers selling cheap, new goods. So exactly the opposite of what is was supposed to be for. I have amended my "about me" page to vent my fury, quite an impotent thing to do in the grand scheme of things, but it's all I can do. Maybe they'll wake up in a couple of months, I mean there are millions of folk like me who they are taking £20-£50 a month off, small-fry perhaps but it'd soon add up.

I'm pissed off with it too, I'm using it to supplement our low income after moving North and to sell a lot of the stuff I have collected over the years. But I hate paypal and most of the categories I should use state paypal only. And the inability to leave time wasting buyers a neg or neutral is just ridiculous.as for this quote from the website:

Over time, we found that the transparency of the Feedback system made some buyers reluctant to hold sellers accountable. For example, buyers fear retaliatory Feedback from sellers if they leave a negative

What a load of bollox......What about the instances where a buyer leaves a seller a retaliatory neg???If a buyer takes 2 weeks to pay, you can only give a positive - frickin ridiculous.

The price of selling a car on the Bay is also extortionate these days - can't recall exactly what they stung me for on the £230 405 Harlequin, but I'm sure it was > £20.

The total fee for selling mum's white Supra for £255 was £32.5005-Apr 12:55:49 1988 TOYOTA SUPRA WHITE 180230653646 Gallery Fee £0.00 05-Apr 12:55:49 1988 TOYOTA SUPRA WHITE 180230653646 Insertion Fee £8.00 05-Apr 12:55:49 1988 TOYOTA SUPRA WHITE 180230653646 Item Subtitle Fee £0.50 05-Apr 12:55:49 1988 TOYOTA SUPRA WHITE 180230653646 Listing Designer Fee £0.00 05-Apr 12:55:49 1988 TOYOTA SUPRA WHITE 180230653646 PictureShowFee £0.00 05-Apr 12:55:49 1988 TOYOTA SUPRA WHITE 180230653646 Reserve Price Listing Fee £4.00 12-Apr 12:55:51 1988 TOYOTA SUPRA WHITE 180230653646 Final Value Fee £20.00 Fixed final value fee of #17.391304. Total: £32.50 Total New Fees: £32.50 Total Amount Due: £32.50PS: although we were blessed with a trouble free sale. Yes we had to be patient as the buyer took a week or so to turn up, two weeks since the end of the auction but he was communicative & we had to use a bit of good faith that he'd see it through but he was as good as his word, came all the way from Leicester, paid the bid price in cash & then drove it back up the road (no T&T, no use since last Autumn, no big journeys most of it's life, we're just glad he made it home no trouble, good old Japanese workmanship!). So no complaints really, eBay the way it should be. So only question mark is over whether £32.50 was good value compared to other methods, if the auction hadn't ended well, we may well be thinking not. :roll:

True, but if somebody agrees to buy your car from Autotrader, they can change their mind at any stage. True the car will still be listed, but once it runs out, you'll have to stump up again to re advertise it won't you. If you relist on the bay & it sells, you don't get charged again, I believe.... (it's been a while since I sold anything bar the Supra which sold first time)

True, but if somebody agrees to buy your car from Autotrader, they can change their mind at any stage. True the car will still be listed, but once it runs out, you'll have to stump up again to re advertise it won't you. If you relist on the bay & it sells, you don't get charged again, I believe.... (it's been a while since I sold anything bar the Supra which sold first time)

Indeed, but a auction is very different to just advertising it in Autotrader. After all, as ebays piffle tells you, winning an auction enters you into a legally binding contract - blah,blah,blah.

Well I've just been hit up for some feedback extortion this morning along the lines of "gimme refund or you're getting negged" - no reason given. I politely told the buyer to fuck off and got negged five minutes later.Sack of shit!

Well I've just been hit up for some feedback extortion this morning along the lines of "gimme refund or you're getting negged" - no reason given. I politely told the buyer to fuck off and got negged five minutes later.Sack of shit!

What was the buyer's ID?Then we can all add him to our "favourite sellers" and batter his feedback next time he sells. what goes around comes around and all that! :wink:

What happens when a buyer uses negative Feedback as a threat to receive better service or additional goods/services from the seller?

If a buyer uses the threat of negative Feedback to demand more than what was promised in the item description (e.g. wants overnight delivery but only paid for standard delivery) the seller should immediately report the buyer to eBay.

If there is clear evidence of extortion eBay will take action typically on a first offense. If a buyer shows a pattern of malicious behavior, eBay will most likely suspend the buyer. If we suspend the buyer, any negative or neutral Feedback the buyer has left for sellers will be removed.

Sellers should only file these complaints when the buyer asks for more than what is promised in the listing. Filing a false claim may result in seller suspension.

Yeah, and do you believe they are possibly going to be able to police that? With their attitude towards their paying clients? MEH.

The only other way is to leave them a positive feedback but then lay into them in the comments section. OK it'll only work for sellers who read feedback comments and don't just look at the score, but it might be a good way of venting one's spleen...

Perhaps as Nigel suggests it might be a good idea to get tat sold on Autoshite, can we get a sales Forum on here? Maybe it would be a good idea to get some forums together to create a localised alternative to ebay, alas I'm a fuckwhit when it comes to shit like that!

Aside from the feedback fiasco, another thing they've done is make all bidders anonymous. So someone could be shilling an item you may be watching and you've no way of knowing if the price is being artificially bumped up by a dodgy seller.

Aside from the feedback fiasco, another thing they've done is make all bidders anonymous. So someone could be shilling an item you may be watching and you've no way of knowing if the price is being artificially bumped up by a dodgy seller.

Yep, although shill bidding was supposedly frowned upon, it just means higher selling prices and higher final value fees for ebay...so now they promote it!

Ebay is becoming the enemy - should boycott it

but it's just so great :oops: I just won a pair of mountain bike suspension forks of the most unshite type brand new in box and all for a the price we love -less than half :)

OK they guy was in no hurry to post them but they arrived sure enough and brilliant they are too.