406 beats the frag feeder! Selling Q

r.welfare

Well, thus far I've had one serious caller on the 166, who will hopefully be coming down from Lincoln to view on Sunday, and one Romanian who couldn't string a sentence together and whom I consequently told that the car had been sold, as I really couldn't be arsed to try and make myself understood to him. We'll have to see if the chap from Lincoln turns up or not, but he seemed quite genuine and said he'd wanted a 166 for a while, so fingers crossed.

I haven't heard back from the Bulgarian Mafia, so one assumes they are happy with the 406 purchase. A cheap car for the money, I maintain...Not sure I'd be so comfortable in driving back stuff any more without tax/MOT in these days of ever-increasing ANPR presence, but I suppose it's only an issue if they stop you...or if the previous owner knows where you live, when the fixed penalty notice hits their doormat :roll: This is why I have a sales receipt signed by both parties and dated with the exact time the car rolled off my driveway...Still, that's it for tat buying for me for a few months/years anyway, as there's plenty else to occupy me currently!

to digress a touch, the price stuff reaches at car auctions over here [we have two a week] never ceases to amaze me. Just put a '96 Vectra 2.5 Estate through one of them[ all the fruit, but quite a lot of stone chipping, lost radio code, no service books, although it's on file with the local main agent] I expectyed about £400/500 for it, and it went for £900! Wether it was because it was the only estate there I don't know, but I was extremely chuffed. Going to put a reasonable BX Estate 1.9 turbo diesel thhrough in a couple of weeks, I'd be interested to see what that makes.....

From my time in the Channel Islands (Guernsey specifically), there was very little out there for <£500 (2002-04). In fact I bought a relatively straight 1987 Jetta TX with 51k on the clock (and the timing belt - which was of course the original - was just about to expire!) in St Peter Port for £500, beaten down from £600, and sold it 2 years later for £380 (I woz robbed!).Amazingly for a 15yr old car it was rust-free, which was more than could be said for most of the elderly motors out there...Probably it also doesn't help that you are restricted to what's advertised at the side of the road or in the local paper.

Going to put a reasonable BX Estate 1.9 turbo diesel thhrough in a couple of weeks, I'd be interested to see what that makes.....

What would you value a Nov 99 Mondeo Zetec at? 2.0 petrol manual with 86k on the clock, standard except towbar. Hopefully about double the UK book price :)

Going to put a reasonable BX Estate 1.9 turbo diesel thhrough in a couple of weeks, I'd be interested to see what that makes.....

'Kin shed loads if its a 1.9TD, Citroen never made 'em, or about £300 - £400 if its a 1.7TD in TZD or DTR trim

What would you value a Nov 99 Mondeo Zetec at? 2.0 petrol manual with 86k on the clock, standard except towbar. Hopefully about double the UK book price :)

UK book price is probably about £500 at the moment! What are similar motors going for in the Jersey Evening Post? Presumably you'll get the same kind of response trying to sell a car with 86k on it in Jersey as I did here with my 230k mile 406... :roll:

Yeah, I shoulda clocked the bastard before I imported it last summer :lol: (mileages are required by law on change of ownership and recorded on the vehicle registration document) Someone's trying to flog a 50k 1997 Mundano TD in tonight's paper for nearly fifteen hundred :shock: but to quantify that there's a 22k Rover 114, asking price £1750 :lol: so I've plenty confidence that mine'll sell for well over a G to a blurk from Poland who's planning on some cross-continental crap-carting shenanigans. Especially if I wang some chemical metal in the AC condenser :lol:

UK book price is probably about £500 at the moment! What are similar motors going for in the Jersey Evening Post? Presumably you'll get the same kind of response trying to sell a car with 86k on it in Jersey as I did here with my 230k mile 406... :roll:
http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index.cgi?board=FSW&action=display&thread=38868

Zetec-S has the ST bodykit as you say, but the standard 2-litre engine. It was a "run out" model, designed to clear stocks of the old Mondeo before the new one came in, in 2001. That's why you can find a fair few Zetec-S's on a Y-plate, and new Mondeos on an X-plate...

When are we going to get a truly hot Mondeo, we've never really had one? In Focus terms ST is only mid range red hotness, saving white hot for the RS. Zetec therefore on a Focus must be well down the scale in terms of hotness, yellow, orange or green maybe. In theory there ought to be a flagship hot Mondeo leading the range ahead of ST! In terms of the model range ST should equate to the modern XR with an RS at the top of the tree. Unfortunately, maybe down to the bad old days of Cosworths being thrashed around by bad lads, Ford have been reluctant to produce one. :roll: Vauxhall on the other hand have always given us SRIs & GSIs. Now I believe GSI has made way for VXR. Although one wonders (ok just me then!) whether an SRI equates more to a Zetec & the VXR to an ST, meaning therefore that Vauxhall has no RS equivalent!? Or maybe a VXR is hotter than an ST & equates to an RS so there is no ST equivalent from the Griffin boys? Although I was under the impression that the GSI2000 MkIII Cavalier of days old was a capable match for the Sierra RS Cosworth, if not with the same glamour to it!

I was under the impression that the GSI2000 MkIII Cavalier of days old was a capable match for the Sierra RS Cosworth, if not with the same glamour to it!

Different league really. I know Vaux knocked out a small number of turbo 4x4 Cavaliers, but by that time the Impreza was on the scene. Ford, quite rightly, have refrained from knocking out vast quantities of overtuned family cars just so as they can retain a boy racer following

When are we going to get a truly hot Mondeo, we've never really had one?

Never - because Ford have worked out that they would never make any money on one. High fuel prices, staggering levels of depreciation and CO2related VED of £400PA categories will kill off all these v6/v8 saloons from non premium manufacturers soon - I'm surprised that Vauxhall still bother with the Monaro (or whatever it is now) - even as a halo car for the VXR brand.The other thing is hardly anyone watches or cars about BTCC racing these days - this, and the associated advertising, was the driver behind the 'hot' repmobiles of the 90s.