406 beats the frag feeder! Selling Q

r.welfare

I'd buy it but.....- I only buy cars that I can see from within my cellar- I spent all my money on a velvet painting of Tom Selleck- I'd prefer it in a bodystyle which doesn't exist- I asked my mum and she went mental and threw a dustbin off Skegness Pier- I am a fictional character from the Robocop universe- etc.I'm utterly dreading selling the Cuore. To be honest I want rid of it fairly soon, but the sort of buyers it will attract (being a small cheap turbo-ed hatchback) frightens me. I think I might just bury it in a concrete tomb.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLERCOASTERLOLzRemind me which is your Cuore (J-tin ignoramus here!). Is it the batshit crazy one or the fugly one that looks like it has been sat to close to an electric 3-bar fire?If it's the nutty, angular jobby I might be IANterested, subject to price of course!

It's the one which looks like a boring shopping car at the front and almost comically aggressive at the back. I'll PM you the info!

The Galant thread sums up why quite nicely, something like 8 pages of mostly excuses for a £350 car that you could legally drive back and push into daily use.

yeh, very nice that Galant....not far behind SL's Accord in my 'fancy that' book.

I'd buy it but.....

- I only buy cars that I can see from within my cellar

- I spent all my money on a velvet painting of Tom Selleck

- I'd prefer it in a bodystyle which doesn't exist

- I asked my mum and she went mental and threw a dustbin off Skegness Pier

- I am a fictional character from the Robocop universe

- etc.

I'm utterly dreading selling the Cuore. To be honest I want rid of it fairly soon, but the sort of buyers it will attract (being a small cheap turbo-ed hatchback) frightens me. I think I might just bury it in a concrete tomb.

Seriously, you should have a column in Top Gear magazine. Your writing is much more entertaining than that of any of their regular contributors.

I know exactly what you mean though as it matches most of my own experiences, which is why I'm hesitating to put the Alfa up on there. The exception (that proves the rule?) was the second time I advertised the Celsior - it was sold within a couple of hours, and although the chap hasn't collected it yet he's paid for it, which is the main thing.

Well my Peugeot autotrader worked today, went on line Saturday, got 4 calls, one desperate youth that needed a car within the hour, but I was in Spalding, one African, 2 youths who said they'd call back and didn't. Yesterday 3 calls, one from a girl in Leamington Spa who said she'd be down today. Today the phone went mad, 25 calls maybe, Leamington girl got the train down, didn't haggle, paid and drove home! Result I reckon

The other thing about selling through forums is that often people like to buy something from outside of it then show it off on there, otherwise they perhaps have a bit of a 'sloppy seconds' attitude to something everyone already knows about?

Or 'sloppy thirds or fourths' in the case of Hirst!

Well, thankfully the 406 is now sold. Just had 4 Bulgarians travel up from Southampton, spend 40 minutes looking it over, lots of commentary (in Bulgarian), but ultimately they bought the car for £400. I have a signed and time-dated receipt in case of issues with DVLA - I hope they stop at a Post Office to tax it before hitting the M3... :lol:

I think I've been lucky with virtually all my cars - I've had good experiences with ebayers in the past - my 2002 wagon went to an Irish Ebayer, who also paid for the car to be stored for a couple of weeks prior to picking it up, I got a genuinely decent African exporter pick up a couple of Datsuns with no fuss, a banger racer picked up another one with impeccable timing and my E30 BMW was picked up and taken bang on time. I suppose proportionally I've sold less cars than most people here though. I think in almost every case cars advertised on RR have gone on to good homes, its to be expected that people leave all sorts of excuses who 'need' the car and want to buy it, but I guess its just them showing an interest. Curiously though when I first advertised the DC/SL/PC/Hirst Galant on RR, I got a fairly silent reception....Some forums, particularly one make ones seem to be the worst - I advertised one car on a forum, to get some lad reply back about not being able to travel 45 miles up to the M40 to see the car - despite the fact it was taxed and MOT'd. If its the right car then distance should never be an issue.

If its the right car then distance should never be an issue.

Indeed. I went to Cardiff for my red 166.
Here here! Only 2 out of my 5 cars came from locally, and when I say locally, they were still 20-30 miles away. I had to collect my last 2 cars from Bristol, purely coincidentally.

I've driven some fairly shite vehicles some fairly long distances with no T&T - the Renault 6 and the Hiace camper both travelled 120 or so miles in complete illegality, the Estelle managed 170. It's never really bothered me to be honest - I check lights, brakes, tyres an' stuff before I set off and I won't drive anything that won't stop reasonably quickly or whose engine is in dubious health, but that's about it. Insurance is the main thing, and I've got that unless I'm driving a bus or an HGV.

- I hope they stop at a Post Office to tax it before hitting the M3... :lol:

Don't bet on it, the guy who bought the Supra drove the 150-200 miles home to Leicester minus tax or test. His risk mind....
Yup I drove Swindon - Preston down the M5 and M6 in my untaxed car when i bought the BX, fully insured & MOT'd but couldn't tax it so thought bugger it lets risk it - so I did - heard nothing, Drove it back on the Saturday, stored it off road on the Sunday, taxed it on the Monday.

As I recall -ahem- some tit messing you about a bit on that one. Embarassed Embarassed EmbarassedFor which I am eternally apologetic!

Buggers! I forgot about that. Yeah, warning! Do not sell to this man. Mind you I've peddled some tat to you as a way of compensation, that matchbox Ford Cortina and those Jalopy mags spring to mind. And I think I might have exchanged some student loan money for that rough running 910 Bluebird off one of your ebay 'customers' too. Closed shop deals - thats where its at.

Insurance is the main thing, and I've got that unless I'm driving a bus or an HGV

I think you have to be careful here.....lots of insurers will void your insurance if the car is not MOT'd and you are involved in an accident.I guess they *may* still pay out to the 3rd party?

Insurance is the main thing, and I've got that unless I'm driving a bus or an HGV

I think you have to be careful here.....lots of insurers will void your insurance if the car is not MOT'd and you are involved in an accident.I guess they *may* still pay out to the 3rd party?
They will always pay out to the third party - they are obliged to by law. If your insurance is void for some reason they will then try to get the cost of the claim back from you, through the courts if necessary. It doesn't say anywhere in my insurance wording that the insurance will be void if the vehicle is not taxed or MoT'd, but I usually book vehicles in for an MoT anyway, just to cover my rear if I'm stopped by VOSA. Obviously if I don't think the car is roadworthy (and I mean really not roadworthy, not that it might fail the MoT on screen washers or headlight aim) I won't drive it.

My insurers are happy so long as I have the veneer of legality that is booking it in for an MOT at the nearest opportunity and the car must be ready for an MOT in my opinion, pretty straightforward, my issue of course is if the car breaks down the RAC aren't interested!

my issue of course is if the car breaks down the RAC aren't interested!

Really? The AA dragged my heap of shit ambulance back from Derby without raising an eyebrow, and that isn't MoT'd. It does have a valid tax disc though, so I suppose that might have helped.

How does that work on a trader policy - surely they can refuse outright to pay the third party, leaving them to claim off what is effectively an uninsured driver?

I don't think they can. The only way they could do that was if you were driving a class of vehicle that your license and/or the insurance policy didn't cover you for.

my issue of course is if the car breaks down the RAC aren't interested!

Really? The AA dragged my heap of shit ambulance back from Derby without raising an eyebrow, and that isn't MoT'd. It does have a valid tax disc though, so I suppose that might have helped.
So long as there's tax they're happy, no MOT, no problem!

So long as there's tax they're happy, no MOT, no problem!

The AA came out to my Fiesta when I couldn't start it at my mums place (no jump leads or tools) and it's not taxed or mot'd. The guy didn't say anything at all.I hope they don't worry about tax too much, when I book it in for it's MOT it will still be on a sorn and I will not be too happy if it breaks down on the way there and they won't help.

The company line with Green Flag, was that we didnt touch untaxed vehicles.However, to me it all depended on the owner, if it was someone who had genuinly broken down, i was more than happy to help.However, this is in place not to monitor vehicle tax, just to stop people who try it on, such a chap who wanted me to get a V6 Mazda 626 going that had been stood in the garden for about 4 years, or another chap who wanted me to get a Kia Pride going that had caught fire about 2 years previously :roll: