Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help for Audi 100 Auto

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ayd

ayd

• Full Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

Posted Image

the old girl has a problem, the gearbox is telling her not to start, this is apparently a switch or a cable? and to get it to run I have to wiggle the stick to trick it in to starting

What I'm asking is does anyone know if it's a switch or cable, what the part is called and if it's reletively easy for a numpty like myself to change?

Otherwise it's time to start scouring the free ads for another £200 bargain :(

#2 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 8,826 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

Sounds like the inhibitor switch. Not sure where they are on these, but usually they're somewhere on or around the gear selector mechanism. Once you've found it it'll be an easy job to either replace it or bypass it.

#3 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Ebay relists are all my fault. Ha Ha Ha!

• Full Members
  • 3,598 posts
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:07 PM

There will be a 2 wire "inhibitor switch" on the gear selector which only allows the car to start in Park.I guess it is either faulty or dirty if wiggling the stick makes enough contact to start the car. Maybe a dousing in contact cleaner would cure it.You could bypass it - but this is potentially bloody dangerous as the car could be started in gear.Should be pretty simple really.Ah, Wuv beat me to it cos the phone rang while i was typing!
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

#4 OFFLINE   ayd

ayd

• Full Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:45 PM

many thanks I'll have a looksie for it tonight :D

#5 OFFLINE   ayd

ayd

• Full Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

after 20 mins of wiggling it still wouldn't start so it's dumped at work at the momentI whipped the cover off the central console and it looks like the inhibitor switch is on the right. Now while I find someone that actually sells this part is bypassing it as simple as I think? i.e - bridge the plug across the 2 terminals just so I can get it home?

#6 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Ebay relists are all my fault. Ha Ha Ha!

• Full Members
  • 3,598 posts
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:01 PM

yes, that simple!
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

#7 OFFLINE   ayd

ayd

• Full Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:07 PM

yes, that simple!

sweet.....lets see how much of it I can blow up tomorrow :D

#8 OFFLINE   ayd

ayd

• Full Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:27 AM

also needs a starter motor :(managed to get one off fleabay last night (pretty sure I was shilled as I got a very quick 2nd chance offer) but it was still cheaper than GSF etc...so hopefully the coffin carrier will be back this weekend :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users