The ugliest car ever? You decide!

MrRegieRitmo

Some great work there - they picked 3 "really ugly" cars, one of which is the Ferrari Testarossa, one looks a (tiny) bit like a Testarossa and the other one doesnt even exist.Must have been either compile that little gem or spend the afternoon blowing cans of pop up in an oven.

The Civic is so unspeakably ugly that I can't even find a decent picture of one on Google Images.I still say that no car has ever been so spectacularly wrong in so many ways as the Civic. Every single detail on that car has been designed to be as offensive as possible. Every time I find myself next to one at the lights I notice something else wrong with it.The advert is bloody annoying too.

Which Peugeot is this? the 207? 208? It certainly is a bit busy looking at the front. Makes you realise the 206 is actually quite an attractive car.I wish they`d stop extending the headlights on things right up to the A-post. What is that supposed to achieve?

I don't dislike either the Roomster or the current Civic in the slightest but modern Pug's are pretty awful looking and the one pictured above is downright offensive. The Second gen Hyundai coupe was pretty hideous too as is the Atos. The current Hyundai coupe is quite a good looking car much to Hyundai's credit. I find modern Mercs to be quite unpleasant looking too in general. I'd say the original Multipla by far outranks the Roomster for ugliness. The Roomster is just slightly odd because of it's window line, a bit like the Daihatsu YRV and the Citroen C2.

The Rodius has always somehow reminded me of the Winchester taxi - the sort of vehicle you'd be really embarassed to be seen getting into - so not the best idea for a taxi company...... I have got a picture but need someone to tell me how to upload it to this message board....[/url]

Oddly it's not the ugliness of the ssangyong I don't like - it's the dullness. The odd rear window treatment just isn't interesting enough to make up for that front end! Makes a Polo look interesting :P :STOP PRESS: I just caught a look at the rear end picture just posted: I feel nausious. Imagine being stuck behind that in a jam while needing a piss for hours. Bet we'll love it in 15 years tho :lol:

Bet I wont

- and in all honesty - neither will I..thought I'd throw it in as an idea..That pug is a joke wonder what the other end is like (actually I'll pass on that)I still think the multipla fokken rocks and the more people diss the Scorpio, the more it appeals to me.. it's cool

The Multipla Mk1 was so ugly it was quite likeable, at least it looked different, and being weird is not necessarily a bad thing......I mean my wife married me, and it certainly wasn't for the money!!The Scorpio...hmmmm..in the right colour and spec, they look ok, not sure if it's just we've got used to them?Ssanyong Odious, just horrible, and you have my guarantee that in 15 years, I will not be lusting after one on here!!

To be fair a lot of cars that are ugly are so because a bit of thought has gone into the design, (with the exception of the Rodius).

The Pugs may not be to everyones taste, however i commend them for making a car that is not just a box on wheels such as the horrid XB. it looks like it was designed by a child. The blueprint was probably taken off the door of the head of designs fridge.

Posted Image

It is probably the extreme end of the box on wheels, but the Japanese companies seem to have a thing for them. Look at the Honda Zest! Why? did people get paid to style that? I hate bland cars and have always gone for distinctive cars where possible (if any pschycologists are reading this -yes i am an only child. Look at me! Look at me!).

I mean a lot of the old cars on here are popular with us because they were odd (any old French car for instance). Look at the Jag XJS, everybody HATED it when it came out, but I for one love the design now. Same with the SD1.

Anyway i am off out to do some work on my ugly Imp (the rear could never be described as pretty, but thats why i like them).

Anyhow, my submission is any Japanese box on wheels for the sheer gall to market cars with so little imagination to us. It may be practical, but its sooooooooo boring!

I like most of the cars in this thread to be honest.I like the Civic because it's an interesting and quirky design, looks an early 90s interpretation of a car from the future. Could well imagine one pottering round in the background of Demolition Man or Total Recall.Though the Multipla can be summed up as an ugly car and I certainly wouldn't want one myself, I sort of admire what they were going for - a distinctive looking MPV, don't really get that often. They chickened out and facelifted it though.Ssangyongs are superb, I love the Rexton with the enormous 2-inch tall lettering and the wonky-back Rodius. They're dreadful looking, but that's part of the charm. Make the most of them while you can, they'll all be gone in 10 years probably.Scorpios aren't that bad looking, I like the US-esque back end of them. I think they just got a bit carried away with the plastic chrome.As for the Scion XB/Toyota Bb, Nissan Cube, Daihatsu Materia and any other J-box, I think they're brilliant! Weird looking things, I'd love any of them.In conclusion, I think the most ugly cars on the road are ones which are blandly inoffensive, like the Corsa before last. I love weird car designs.

I personally think one of the ugliest modern cars is the BMW Mini. Ignoring it's vague retro image, it's really not a very attractive looking design for a small car... amazing considering it's styling cues are supposed to harken back to one of the most innofensive and lovable shapes ever produced. Fiat did a much better job of capturing the original 500's cuteness in their new version, although like all modern small cars... it's not exactly small!There's an interesting change in design thinking between modern and old in that many old cars are cute, elegant or just pretty, whereas very few modern designs are. Designers just spend their time trying to make modern stuff look cool, chic and sophisticated instead. I think it's because they are designed rather than styled these days. Modern car lines are penned by designers who also do trainers, fridges and hi-fi's I expect.

Modern car lines are penned by designers who also do trainers, fridges and hi-fi's I expect.

Not entirely, but looking at some of the designs out there you'd expect that to be the truth. Very rarely is a car designed by one person, which is why you sometimes get oddly proportioned cars - which really look like they let the work experience boy/girl have a go.

Design is also determined by interior packaging, a brief to design a car within a certain dimension and forecasting what will still look fresh in 5 years time.

Its not all gloom and doom, Jaguars new design 'mission' or 'focus' is looking fine to me, and the Italians are definitely producing some lovely looking cars.

However the Chinese have released some positively bizarre things of late - Half car - half accordion

Posted Image

Though the Multipla can be summed up as an ugly car and I certainly wouldn't want one myself, I sort of admire what they were going for - a distinctive looking MPV, don't really get that often. They chickened out and facelifted it though.

Sounds like the situation with the MkI/II Stradas - history repeating itself! The MkI Multipla (of the late 1990s not the Fiat 600 based one, although that is also very odd looking!) has a similar look to the MkI Strada. 8)

Sometimes I have to wonder though..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fact is that car stylist don't have the same function quite like they used to as sadly there's too many other factors to influence a final shape. Essentially this makes every new car design a compromise which is a bit sad. The new Jag is better than the previous efforts but in the grand scheme of things it utterly sucks when you look to the slendid, distinctive shapes that came from Jaguar in the old days. Whist the new one looks good it still looks no more 'special' than a new Mondeo. I applaud some of the designs to come out of modern factories which are unusual looking but few manage to be both unusual and good looking at the same time. The C6 is a good example. Stunning in it's quirkyness but somehow it's just not quite as good looking as the DS or CX was.

well not strictly production cars but there's that Swiss tuner who's name escapes me at the moment who produces some really hideous creations

or the obvious choice of utter foulness (cover your kids eyes)

Posted Image

If they made a faster Multipla, I'd have one - I love the repellent look. But not sure if I could face 3 up in the front (oo-er) ...Ugliest for me - Toyota Yaris Verso (pic to follow if I can find one :shock: )I love the beautiful "classics" (DS, old Alfas etc etc) but also the witchy ones too - I'd really love a 600 Multipla and an Ami. 8)