Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Merc 220

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pompei

pompei

• Full Members
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationGrimsby

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

Saw a C220 for sale on a car lot today, £1300 om an N plate. Looked tidy. I don't know a shred about these, other than that they replaced the 190, but are they any good?

#2 OFFLINE   bigstraight6

bigstraight6

• Full Members
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:56 AM

Not as good as the 190! these 'C' class cars were introduced at the time when Mercedes decided to cut costs and quality :wink:
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   garethj

garethj

• Full Members
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 07:04 AM

They're almost exactly what you wouldn't expect from a Merc. As well as things not working, you have to examine carefully for rust!

If I wanted a rusty car, I'd buy a proper old one :roll:

#4 OFFLINE   r.welfare

r.welfare

Lee 'Scratch' Perry

• Full Members
  • 3,988 posts
  • LocationUP YOURS DELORS

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:55 AM

Eh? I thought these first C-Classes were actually OK, quality-wise - it was the late 90's E-Class (with the blobby round lights) where the rot set in...in both senses!I was passed by a Y-reg E220 CDI on the A42 yesterday and there were actually holes in the front wings, and rust all over the bottom of the doors. Shocking!

2003 Renault Espace IV 2.0 petrol - living up to its reputation...

#5 OFFLINE   TheScrapman

TheScrapman

• Full Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

C-Class is fine as they share most of their underpinnings with it's predecessor, the 190, so build quality issues are not as bad as higher range Mercs of this era. They suffer from niggly electrical faults, but get an early one and they are less complicated - earlies don't have traction control either ;)A good friend has absolutely ragged the nuts off his trackday weapon '95 or '96 C-Class 220 manual for over 20,000 miles and it's never missed a beat.

#6 OFFLINE   r.welfare

r.welfare

Lee 'Scratch' Perry

• Full Members
  • 3,988 posts
  • LocationUP YOURS DELORS

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:17 AM

Early C-Classes are now down to the £500 level. It's got to be the "Esprit" trim level with factory-lowered suspension and eye-watering checked seats for me! Presumably the manual boxes are of the earlier "truck-quality-shifting" type on these - but it can't be as bad as a 3-litre Omega 'box in that respect!

2003 Renault Espace IV 2.0 petrol - living up to its reputation...

#7 OFFLINE   Torsten2001

Torsten2001

• Full Members
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:40 AM

the least options the better!

#8 OFFLINE   dean36014

dean36014

• Full Members
  • 616 posts
  • LocationCoventry

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

Check for rust, rust and more rust. merc's of this era had a bad paint finish(water based paint I believe) and are really rust prone. Also check out the front crossmember, they are really prone to rotting away, and normally can't be seen due to the under body guards.

#9 OFFLINE   Fat_Pirate

Fat_Pirate

• Full Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHampshire

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

Check for rust, rust and more rust. merc's of this era had a bad paint finish(water based paint I believe) and are really rust prone. Also check out the front crossmember, they are really prone to rotting away, and normally can't be seen due to the under body guards.

That's the E-class (W210) you're thinking about. I've done 60K in my 96 C200 and this is my checklist:Rust on rear arches; if it's gone here then the front arches and doors will be next.Cat: prone to failure on 4-pots. I had a couple of nasty replacements from GFS, in the end I went for the OEM part - £750Interior fan: £350, easy DIY job though.Avoid manuals, it's horrible and remember the handbrake is foot-operated.Facelift cars were built to a lower standard, but better equipped.I've got an auto Elegance, it's a big soft sofa of a car that doesn't really handle and is damn slow. Low 30s mpg though, I like it a lot :D

#10 OFFLINE   garycox

garycox

• Full Members
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:13 PM

There's a W reg C class (C220 I think) that lives close to me thats very rusty, particularly the bootlid and bonnet... That's always put me off getting one, although they are becoming temptingly cheap :?

1967 Simca 1301
1981 Austin Morris Mini 1.0 HL
1981 Austin Allegro 1.3 HL

1988 Citroen BX 19 GTI 8v

1993 Peugeot 205 STDT
2000 Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X Estate

2002 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Estate

#11 OFFLINE   alfetta

alfetta

• Full Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

saw an old duffer stare at my 190 then get in his very scruffy W reg, probably thinking 'what went wrong?' :lol: unaceptable on a 2000 Mondeo let alone merc....hmmm waterbased paint - saab+volvo experimented briefly in the late 70's, lots needed full resprays.....this was at the point the 99 turbo came out, and many cars died of rust.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users