K12 Micra timing chain change

Rod/b

What engine is it - if it's the 1.4 I've got a Nissan Note workshop manual CD thing kicking round somewhere at home, that should give a rough idea of what's involved. I think my Autodata goes up to 2004 so I can check that as well, albeit not until tomorrow evening.

I seem to recall some old boy writing in to Car Mechanics about timing chain rattle on these Micras and he'd devised a bodge on retensioning it every so often.

Quick mooch in tinterweb suggests its an 8 hour job and parts are around £300 although that was a few years ago. Still it should be a fair bit less than £900 if it refers to the same engine.

I think it can be bodged by careful re-positioning of the sensor on the chain - I think the reference to the car mechanics article was to enlarge the holes so that the sensor can be repositioned.

I think it's fair to assume this is only a temporary measure - or one you'll try before moving the car on.

Jesus, So in a few years time you'll be seeing K12 in scrapyards just because they are due a timing chain, Madness, I think the cambelt in my old K12 Micra 1.5 DCi was less then £250 last year when i had it done,and i remember moaning about that!

For motorcycle cam chains, it was possible to do what was called a cam chain conversion, basically, split the chain, link in a new chain, pull through, remove old chain and rivet new chain, check timing.

Tony Galea of Galea Camchain Services started (in the 80's) to do this on high revving Jap multi's with 100% success, he still does it, from his firm in Wickford, Essex.

Don't know if it can be done on a Micra though.

• 5 years later...
Guest cragger

I think it can be bodged by careful re-positioning of the sensor on the chain - I think the reference to the car mechanics article was to enlarge the holes so that the sensor can be repositioned.

I think it's fair to assume this is only a temporary measure - or one you'll try before moving the car on.

Do you have any links to this article or a copy of it

cheers

Guest Lord Sward

Didn't that fine publication, Car Mechanics, then go on to do a full timing chain replacement on their purple project Micra?  Its an engine out job.