VED cost on pre 2001 cars

carlo

Does anyone on here know how the changes to VED duty from next year affect cars registered before 2001?These price hikes were on every news station yesterday but nobody bothered to mention the obvious issue of pre 2001 cars, despite the fact they must account for half the cars on the road. Nothing on DVLA website either. Can't believe either they're going to miss a trick and not clobber us as well in our 'dirty' old cars.

As I understand it, pre-2001 have been left alone for now, the changes are for cars registered between 2001 and 2006. That's why they weren't mentioned....Whether this is just staggering the changes and ->2001 cars will be next in line, or whether this is recognition that keeping an 'older' car on the road (i.e. not replacing every year) actually does more for the environment than swapping for a newly manufactured car that 1.5 more miles to the gallon, isn't clear.

The VED for vehicles pre-2001 is increasing from 2010. They cannot band it as they do with post 2001 vehicles as the relevant data isn't held on the DVLA's system but they could possibly band it by engine capacity and fuel type. here's what was in the budget...

A.97 With effect from 1 April 2009, and as set out in Table 8a, VED for cars, registered on or after 1 March 2001, will be reformed to include six new bands. From 1 April 2010, a new first year VED rate will be introduced. With effect from 1 April 2009, and as set out in Table 8b, the lower rate of VED for cars and light good vehicles registered before 2001 is frozen and the higher rate will rise by £15. With effect from 1 April 2009, the VED rate for light goods vehicles registered after 2001 will rise by £15. With effect from 1 April 2010, the VED rate for cars andlight goods vehicles registered before 2001 will be increased in line with indexation. (35)A.98 As announced in the 2007 Pre-Budget Report, in 2008-09 only, the VED rates for motorbikes in the lower band will be frozen, with higher bands increased by £1-2; and rates for heavy goods vehicles, special types vehicles, combined transport vehicles and all vehiclecategories linked to the basic goods rate will be frozen. Changes to VED rates for 2008-09 will take effect from 13 March 2008. (t)A.99 A measure will be introduced, with effect from 1 January 2009, to define the circumstances under which a rebate may be paid on the unexpired portion of a registered vehicle keeper’s licence. (*)A.100 A measure will be introduced with effect from 1 January 2009, giving a VED incentive for early take-up of Euro V technology diesel vans ahead of mandatory introduction in 2011. The incentive will remain for the lifetime of the vans. (36)A.101 As announced in the 2007 Pre-Budget Report, a measure will be introduced, with effect from 1 September 2008, to permit enforcement of VED on vehicles parked in public places that are not intrinsically part of a private dwelling, where a Statutory Off-Road Notification has not been made. ®

That last bit is quite interesting, 'vehicles parked in public places that are not intrinsically part of a private dwelling' will have to get taxed or sorned. What does that mean practically, any suggestions? I presume its not a massive headache because today you have to tax or SORN a car wherever its parked anyway, they must be closing some loophole of folk who've got a car stashed in the yard outside their council lockup or something.

issue of pre 2001 cars, despite the fact they must account for half the cars on the road.

You're joking? Mrs Gareth has a 1999 Mitsubishi Galant and it's the oldest car in the street by some margin. Ocean Finance probably can't spend their money fast enough :(

That last bit is quite interesting, 'vehicles parked in public places that are not intrinsically part of a private dwelling' will have to get taxed or sorned. What does that mean practically, any suggestions? I presume its not a massive headache because today you have to tax or SORN a car wherever its parked anyway, they must be closing some loophole of folk who've got a car stashed in the yard outside their council lockup or something.

I wondered about this as well. I can't see what would be different from now though.There's also mention in the budget that they are going forward with road pricing and what's worse, inviting private firms to run it. I''ll be travelling by B road in future I think.

The only thing I can think is that it is to mop up the very few cars that have been off the road since before SORN was required and are therefore neither SORN'd or taxed. I think at the moment that if a car has been off the road since before SORN regulations came into effect then there is still no requirement to SORN it?Road pricing going ahead is no real surprise. Just proves that the opinion of the paying public makes no difference to our elected leaders.

The only thing I can think is that it is to mop up the very few cars that have been off the road since before SORN was required and are therefore neither SORN'd or taxed. I think at the moment that if a car has been off the road since before SORN regulations came into effect then there is still no requirement to SORN it?
That'll make it interesting for cars "parked" in drawers and filing cabinets, just waiting for the right shell to come along to crawl into, hermit crab stylee.

I think at the moment that if a car has been off the road since before SORN regulations came into effect then there is still no requirement to SORN it?

That's correct, I don't think DVLA would be in much of a hurry to bother about pre-SORN vehicles though (off the road since before '98 I think?) unless there was some pressing need to purge the registration database - most vehicles on the system falling into that category would be those that were scrapped long ago but never declared as broken up.

In these ever increasing bureacratic times, I don't think they would add a specific clause -unless they had something devious in mind...After all -if a local Council can use Terrorism as a basis for snooping on school eligibility- who's got any faith that they are doing it to 'tidy up'?I smell something unpleasant in the wind

how much is it now? Its defo over £100 for a 6-month disc on my Audi 200.I think its a real scumbags trick to wang up the tax on older cars, so much so in fact that i struggle to imagine them doing it.... old car numbers will naturally waste away anyway, and its difficult to think of a more black + white means of stinging folk on lower incomes. Using swingeing tax rises to force people to buy a new car..... what on earth is the world coming to.Anyway it hasnt happened yet so no use getting too depressed, easy as thet would be.

I reckon in the short term there will be more demand/higher pricing for a >2ltr motor pre March 2001 than a post March 2001 version of the same car. It's all arbitrary bollocks, but I reckon we'll see quite a few Y-reg Mondeo 2.5s, Omegas etc joining that Santa Fe and LS400 in the frag feed queue. On the plus side, while it's a pain to stump up more VED, there will be some reet bargains out there for those who do low mileages and can therefore look a million dollars on the trip to Aldi...we're already seeing some effect of the crazy petrol prices on this. F'r instance, I recently saw an absolutely mint R-plate BMW 520iSE (surely one of the best "real world" cars there is), 1 owner, FBMWSH and sensible miles, for under £2k :shock: I know it's a 10yr old car now, but even so...I'm feeling happy that Mrs W's "new" car is a March 2000 registration, and therefore will be £200 per year instead of somewhere a fair bit north of that if it was a Y-reg, thanks to Honda's "Chernobyl-esque" CO2 output for their auto-equipped petrol motors of the period.

So, hang on what's actually doing who what? I hadn't given this much thought beyong "phew - not £500 tax on my BMW"... but what will happen with our new car which is apparently £125 for the year, what will this be in a couple of years?

It'll be about the same, Pog. It's only above 170g/km that the price hikes come in. As I understand it all cars over 160g/km will cost more to tax in their first year while cars under 130g/km will be free in their first year.It's all on page 124 here but it's an appallingly laid out table.

When you buy a post 2001 car it has a g/km figure on the V5 and this is what determines the tax band. This figure is the same for all cars of that model and doesn't change through the car's life.There are two changes being made. Firstly the extra high band that came in in 2006 is being extended back to 2001 and secondly the price of the first tax disc on a new car is going to be different.Pre 2001 cars will continue have only two bands- under 1.5 litre and over 1.5 litre.