Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Renault quality...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   ayd

ayd

• Full Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

Love Renaults - I own possibly what was classed as one of the most unrelaible - the Renault 5 gtturbo, and it's never ever gone wrong on me, 70k from new, OK heavily modded now and hardly comes out but it was my daily driver for a few years and was flawless

#32 OFFLINE   Betaphile

Betaphile

• Full Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:20 PM

Toyota got royally stung in Oz in the late 70s/early 80s by having to use a Holden 1.9 engine in the Corona to meet local content regs, and they ended up buying their way out of the contract early. Apparently the engine re-introduced Toyota buyers (and dealers) to oil leaks...

Urgh, the Starfire. Pretty vile engineering abortion that one - basically a 'red' Holden six with two cylinders lopped off, which is pretty much how it went. Yuck. That particular Toyota-Holden tie-up predated the others (Nova, Apollo, Lexcen) by a few years; surprising that Toyota wanted anything to do with GM-H again after that, but needs must I suppose...

#33 OFFLINE   r.welfare

r.welfare

Lee 'Scratch' Perry

• Full Members
  • 3,993 posts
  • LocationUP YOURS DELORS

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:36 PM

Button Plan - something to do with local content regs I believe? I wonder if a Toyota Lexcen is any better put together than the Holden Commodore on which it's based...where we've had tie-ups over here (Rover 200/Honda Concerto etc), the Japs have always had extra Quality Control staff at the end of the UK production lines to check "their" cars with fine-toothed combs...

2003 Renault Espace IV 2.0 petrol - living up to its reputation...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users