Skodariffic!!

wuvvum

Picked this up yesterday:

Posted Image

It's one of the last Estelle saloons - a Jubilee model - and as such has such luxuries as bucket seats, intermittent wipers and a 5-speed box. It's based on a 120L so has the 1200cc engine - the most reliable of the Estelle engines but not exactly a powerhouse. This one's had a Weber carb fitted though, which should free up a few horses compared to the old Jikov, and a freer-breathing exhaust system. It's also been lowered slightly and has Spax shocks all round, and it does handle very nicely. I drove it home last night, 180 miles non-stop from Eastbourne - not the most relaxing drive of my life but it didn't miss a beat (apart forma refusla to idle when hot unless I pulled the choke out) and did the whole journey on £25-'orth of jungle juice. I'm rather fond of it in a strange sort of a way.

Also bought this today:

Posted Image

Bit of a heap really, and starter motor is duff, but it's a 2.5 V6 manual, it was eight miles up the road and it was only a hunnert quid, so at the moment I could probably nearly double mymoney by weighing it in. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet - it was one of those impulse "at that price I've got nothing to lose" purchases. The head gasket is a bit sus too - the oil filer cap is rather milky - but I drove 30-odd miles in it, some of them quite hard, and it didn't overheat so it can't be too bad. And it's RWD witha button to switch off the TCS so GR8 4 DRIFTIN.

Very nice Estelle! Don't think I've seen one that late before.Good to see a boggo spec V6 Omega. I used to get 'mayonnaise' on the oil cap of my Justy, but only on short journeys, I guess it was just moisture rather than anything serious. Clean the cap on yours and see if it's still clean after a long run.

Nice Skod! Feel all nostalgic looking at that one,my mum had a 79 one in the same colour.There used to be hundreds of them around here. There was (still is) a dealer in town and they used to import them into kings lynn which is just up the road.Can't remember the last time i saw one.

What a lovely Estelle!I am very partial to a nice one. 1200 / weber / ashley exhaust combo is a right winner, had that set up on a couple of them and gave more than adequate poke for a small, light, twitchy lump of communist pig-iron. Another one I fancy some 'dibs' on when you get bored (masochistic, I know since the last estelle I had tried to kill me, not once or even twice but THREE TIMES, the vicious bastard.

Nice 'Meega, quality "unmarked cop car" look (NOT AE86 SHAW TAYLOR DIXON OF DOCK GREEN etc) - I assume it's a GLS. It won't be head gasket - they NEVER go. Probably just breathers (does it smell of oil under the bonnet after a run?), the wrong oil (they don't tolerate anything other than Vx 10W40 semi-synth), or even short journeys. If it's losing water, it will be the oil cooler or heater bypass valve. Neither is a fun job, but better than doing an HG...I can confirm manuals are GR8 4 DRIFTIN but the 3-litre is even more fun...switching off the TC can produce huge clouds of tyre smoke if desired. Great fun until the tyres explode or you get tugged.Don't weigh it in without offering it to me first! :lol: