Should I do it?

Guest greenvanman

Guest greenvanman

To add to it's many other failings, my Felicia's clutch has just gone and I've had enough. In the next few days it will be off to China to be made into poor quality drop forged spanners or something, and I need a replacement.

On the basis that I want:

- cheap tax

- seats when I want them, a van when I don't

- ability to haul large items of tat, including the odd scooter

- cheap running costs

- Japanese reliability

- to be laughed at by other motorists and passers-by alike - let's get that one out of the way right now ;)

I've been thinking about one of these:

Posted Image

Anyone knowing of any mechanical issues etc. or just wanting to talk me out of it please, jump in!

Guest greenvanman

TBH, I would gladly poot about in one of those, if I lived in a major conurbation and planned to never go near a country road, cross-wind or motorway.

Fair point, pog, I should have mentioned I'm not too bothered about suitability for long journeys. Any alternatives come to mind?

Not keen on those 'Microvans', think its more from the fact that the crumple zone consists of thin metal and then your knees.Sure their practical enough but must be highly irritating to drive.

solly no foto..coming..just took delivery down a very rainy highway of a 1990 Mitsi Mirage Lancer VIE Saloon whateva the fack that latter means..but its embossed in the back seats..and the stitchings good..1.5 Cyclone 12v ,sticky 3rd n 4th..but if it quits..my mate will replace the box..MOT'd..white over black grey interior..some surface rust but straight as and a bloody good stereo which we will only play hits from the 80s 90s.. has 145k clocked..$500...paid over time..cup of tea and mince on toast..and quietly snaked our way back up the narrow highway stopping in Levin dead town for chinese fish n chips...and the dog took a crap out side a garage called Pit Stop.. then the semi-trailers are approaching at a 100kph with only two feet between u...bridges 2ks long..http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 576164.htmthis is exactly the same as what we ve just bought.. we were offered an 82 mitsi Cordia for $300 and a Peugeot 405 but i didnt see it..but will think about it..the Lanage is jus so good n sensible..and shite..

Hi-Jet diesel..........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. the worst diesel engine ever made. Originally designed to power a stationery engine, and run at a constatnt speed. Usually explode after about 25k miles.[i know someone will now come on here and say they are bomb proof, and someone he knows has been round the clock 3 times and never changed the oil.......

Guest greenvanman

Hi-Jet diesel..........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. the worst diesel engine ever made. Originally designed to power a stationery engine, and run at a constatnt speed. Usually explode after about 25k miles.

Thanks for that Col, I did a bit of reading since I made the original post and it seems that the diesels commonly have serious overheating issues.

Toyota Lite-Ace might be a bit less masochistic, think they came in 1.5 litre form.

I love those Lite/Town/Master Ace things, but aren't we entering weekly head-gasket change territory there?Cheers for all the input so far chaps, it appears that I need to have a re-think :)

I think normal petrol-engined Lite-Aces are OK, they use an enlarged version of the RWD Starlet/Charmant unit which is pretty robust. 5K I think it’s called in a Lite-Ace. Consider also Vanette, they’re under 1.5 as a petrol.As chances of finding a clean one are slim, I’d be looking more for something like a 323 or Lancer estate as suggested above, or the boxy version of the B11 Sunny estate – with leaf springs, upright tailgate and taller roof they’d be good for bulky stuff.

If you do want one of those Hijets, check the insurance first, I looked at them out of curiousity and it was about a third more than I'd pay on my Cuore TR-XX! Bonkers.

I reckon SLs suggestion of a wagon is the best idea. A 323 Estate like mine would be ideal, but it's not for sale yet!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheap Tax: Just under the 1500cc banding!

Seats/Van Combo: Present and correct, rear seats fold down flat to provide a nice huge load area.

Tat Holding Capacity: Pretty tall inside, I reckon you'd get a scooter in no bother.

Cheap Running Costs: Service bits from ADL Blueprint, probably pretty good fuel economy.

Japanese reliability: Yes! Simple OHC engine, manual choke, leaf springs, not a lot to go wrong.

To be laughed at: Absolutely, can't wait to be driving mine around with one hand on the wheel and mirror shades, basking in the contempt of the public.

Guest greenvanman

I like C15s. A sort of spiritual succesor to the R4 F6 in my mind! They are a bit flimsy but seem reliable enough although they are very much not quick but thats not the point really.

Exactly! I used to have a 4F6 and loved it. I don't have the need for speed so maybe one of these would do the job. Any opinions on reliability etc? Where does the diesel lump used in these come from?

I don't know how they managed it. The XUD is bombproof, as you say, and the proper HDi is stronger if anything. I've seen a lot of adverts for Partner/Berlingo/C15 vans that need an engine. It seems to be relatively straightforward* to drop an XUD in so one of those might be worth having if it's cheap enough.*The guy who told me that had a business turbocharging Peugeot 205s and fitting all sorts of engines where they shouldn't go, so maybe his idea of straightforward wouldn't tie in with anybody else's.

Guest greenvanman

OK, taking on board the 'buy a wagon' opinions I've had so far I've spied this in the Auto Trader:

Posted Image

A 1996 Mitsubishi Space Runner 1.8 GLXI, no less. Apart from the tax band, it looks like it would tick a lot of boxes. Trouble is, I know nothing of this model or it's reputation. Anyone care to fill me in?

Think they are reliable if anonymous, but not that big inside. There's probably more Jap import versions (called weird things like "RVR", with Robocop type styling) than UK ones these days.Personally, if you don't mind driving something a little bigger, I'd go for the known quantity of a Space Wagon of that era that seem to be stupidly cheap at the moment.