Breaking into cars... HELP!

Milford Cubicle

My mum has locked the only keys into my old Rover 600. :roll:

Can't blame her really, as it doesn't lock on the key, and the fob only closes 3 doors so you have to operate the central locking as you're leaving the car. I've been trying to think of clever ways to get into it, but to no avail.

My only thought so far is to smash the quarterlight...

Below the window, on the door, there's probably some long rubber/chrome strip or something which can be removed by pulling it up usually.Remove that and then poke around inside the door with some bent wire or similar until you pull the lock mechanism up.

Yes, I used to do that when i worked for Green Flag, however IIRC rover 600s have a recessed button that is smooth, so not really feasable, Other alternatives are wedge open the top of the door and use a length of stiff wire to hook the keys out of the ignition, or to pull the interior door handle, sometimes these pop the lock button up when pulled.

As Hirst said, best method is to unlock it from under the window sealing rubber. The best thing to do that with is a flat metal ruler, push it down behind the rubber and above the handle.Unfortunately, then it's just a case of lifting it up & down/moving it about until you hopefully make contact with the lock mechanism.Good luck..

If you can get it in there, a wire coathanger is perfect. Before insertion you must make a sort of hook at the business end & sharpen it slightly with a file. This can then easily be used to lift the lock-catch in the window. (Successfully achieved on father-in-law's Cortina one summer long ago).

To be honest on something like the 600 I'd just be tempted to knack the window and spend an hour fitting a new one, than fart-arse around looking like a cirminal trying to cheat the mechanism. Done this on several occasions with various of my old Fiestas as I had plenty glass in stock.A friend who had a Saxo VTR when they were launched very soon found that the old "feed a loop of packing tape through the door seal and grip it over the lock button" was, amazingly, applicable to a late 1990s hatchback despite all the immobiliser and alarm bollocks that was de rigeur by then.

I've had to do this twice for people at work who've locked their keys in. The first time, on a Corsa, i pushed a loop of that plastic packing banding stuff through the top of the door seal, held one end and managed to loop it over the internal door handle. Slid both ends around the side of the door for a better angle and pulled - click! The second, on a Civic with the engine running (!), proved trickier. Pulled the top of the door out slightly and kept trying to grab the button to pull it up, failed every time. Then it started to hammer it down with rain and we really needed to get in so i found the girl with the slimmest arms, pulled the door out even further, and got her to pull the button. The door bent back ok to look at but there's a bit more wind noise now :(