Death Row (blame the scrap price !)

mr-reno-139

In the short term, I reckon that the average life of a car is bound to plummet due to these high scrap prices. Not sure what the average is now, I remember back in the 80's Volvo ads reckoned it was about 11 years compared to their 20.7 or summat.I've been doing the sums on my 406. After adding the cost of a Haynes manual and handbook, new wheels and tyres (which I won't know if they will fit until later :roll: ), a full service, thermostat, oil, coolant and other sundries, it stands me at 250 quid. So if it sails the MOT I'm hoping for >300 back when I sell it - which I should hopefully get. If it needs $$$ spent to pass the MOT though, then it's probably going to head for the fragheap to be honest.

In defence of 406s one of my colleagues recently took on a P reg one that he bought off his brother. He had no experience with them or prior knowledge on what to expect but it sailed through it's MOT with no work required. Apparently he's never had a car do that before!

Well let's hope that applies to my P-reg example as well Reg! It definitely needs two new tyres ( :roll: ) and the front brake discs are looking a little thin, although the pads are OK. I think I'll chance the latter and see what the tester says.

406s are one of those cars that carry on passing MOTs even when totally knackered. I think a lot of this tasy stuff is going in there due to people actually making a career of going round buying cars purely to weigh in. Those MGBs might have been bought from somebody who as we type has fond visions of them being lovingly restored - the buyer wouldn`t have given the game away, as long as they cost him less than the weigh in value and the cherry he`s filled up the Q-reg Transit flatbed with he doesn`t care what it is, or what parts it might yield, he`s straight down the metal yard to get his winnings then it`s straight on to bid the guy selling the Galant V6 repair project for £150 in the balls, and so the cycle continues.