How nice is this Pioneer stereo...

retrogeezer

That's a beauty. I had a Clarion one similar to that years ago, I found it in a scrap Rover and bought it because it had the rare combination of that kind of fitting and auto reverse. Sadly I killed it by leaving it running when the car's battery was flat, it didn't have enough power to reverse the tape and it wore all the teeth off one of the gears trying.

I've got a few other old car stereos, a boxed Sharp one here I will take pics of later but none are as nice as the Pioneer one. Also got some of the Ford P21 radios and the radio cassette that went in the Capri. I would think they are worth keeping hold of the way prices of Fords are going, someone will give their right arm for one soon!

I covered up a few daggy steering wheels with those 'Alexander Alfa' things in the '80s, but haven't seen any for sale for ages. Istr that the main problem was finding a way to stop the end of the 'string' poking out. Some people wrapped it in insulating tape, invariably resulting in a sticky mess a few weeks later. I preferred trying to tuck the loose end into the ventilation holes as I drove along - and that was a dangerous distraction if ever there was one!

I have a real distaste for any sort of steering wheel cover. Except that the wheel in the Sun-Tor had a leather one fitted and it had worn through in the position where you held the wheel with elbow resting on the open window ledge. I couldn't get rid of that kind of history!Stereo is spangly!