Jump to content

Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse


Temp insurance to score a tax disc advice needed...

  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   r.welfare


    Lee 'Scratch' Perry

  • Full Members
  • 4,305 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Country : Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:14 PM

It's gotta go. The new 406, I mean. I'm getting it in the neck from everyone over it's arrival, apart from the mother-in-law (whose garage it's currently hiding in). Anyway, while I wait for the V5 to arrive, thoughts turn to the need to get a tax disc so I can legally get it back to base to give it a good service, a couple of laps of the Basingstoke Bypass in 2nd gear (which will hopefully cure it of smoking badly), two new tyres and then a new MOT, so I can bung it in the Trader. It's not worth the risk of trying all this without it being taxed, given the proliferation of ANPRs.What I ideally want to do is just cover it for a month (max.) - I've thought of using tempcover.com (who I usually use for my "driveaway" cover) but have never tried using the cert at the local Post Office, even though they say it's possible (i.e., will they throw me out trying to score a 6-month disc with a 1 month cover note)...Anybody managed it, or is there another, easier route - e.g. speak to current insurers to get something sorted, or start a new policy on a monthly DD, then cancel it after the first payment? Your thoughts please!

2003 Renault Espace IV 2.0 petrol - living up to its reputation...

#2 OFFLINE   pogweasel


    Rank: Isuzu Florian

  • Full Members
  • 8,493 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Locationnearly there.

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

In my experience any officious little bastard/bitch employed by a post office (at least 50% of all staff and 99.99% of managers) will give you your marching orders PDQ if you present anything that looks in the slightest bit 'temporary'.

#3 ONLINE   M'coli


    Rank: Lancia Gamma

  • Full Members
  • 7,804 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationSemper semi somnus
  • Country : Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

Get it insured with whatever means that you need, then tax it over the internet. No post office needed.

"How would ya get a maaa-chine to do that?"

#4 OFFLINE   Mash


    Rank: Renault 16

  • Full Members
  • 2,445 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Location1985

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

^^Yep - online taxing is a breeze. Mine always comes within a couple of days and it's nice and neatly printed too! :P

#5 OFFLINE   Marty


    Rank: Austin Maxi

  • Full Members
  • 383 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationFutureshiteville - Blackpool

Posted 23 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

At the risk of a backlash - Black Insulation Tape be your friend - subtly change the number plate and then drive it home. :twisted:

#6 OFFLINE   Mr_Bo11ox


    Rank: Matra Rancho towing a Tagora

  • Full Members
  • 23,668 posts
  • 39 thanks
  • LocationUttoxeter/Derby
  • Country : Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

Ha ha, thats a good idea actually. Just wait till you see a red 406 and 'clone' it! Could even ram-raid Currys en route.Alternatively the online idea is a good one. If you insure it for a week, as long as it comes up green on www.askmid.com you should be able to tax it online the same day OK. Work the system!



"The engine has airbrushed skulls on it"

"Car shows are full of mentals talking tosh"

"I had no doubt it would pass, but unbelievably, to mine and the MoT tester's amazement, it passed"

#7 OFFLINE   r.welfare


    Lee 'Scratch' Perry

  • Full Members
  • 4,305 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Country : Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

Al-reety. Think I'll blezz the AA phoneline, tell 'em I need to swap the wagon's insurance with this one while I repair it, then score the disc. Thanks chaps.

2003 Renault Espace IV 2.0 petrol - living up to its reputation...

#8 OFFLINE   monzaE


    Rank: Austin Maxi

  • Full Members
  • 160 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationWigan

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

http://www.dayinsure.com/May be worth considering for some of you? At my age and with my history I can ger cover for just over £12 per day. Handy if you only need a days cover.

#9 OFFLINE   Pillock


    It's true.

  • Staff
  • 16,374 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • LocationMassive Wang.
  • Country : Country Flag

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:42 PM

I used dayinsure today to get a 205GTI home, but their cover specifically states it's not to be used for taxing a car....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users