HND Automotive Engineering Exam: MGF lump swap

mk2_craig

mgf-head-gasket.jpg

Immensely against your better judgement, a lapse of concentration has caused you to have allowed your other half to sell a low mileage limited edition Astra ragtop and part with a considerable proportion of the proceeds for a 36k, several potentially careless owner Tahiti Blue MGF 1.8i registered a dozen years ago with a nevertheless reasonable service history and a new roof.

As it expires in a cloud of steam halfway up a hill on a cold night less than twelve hundred miles later, you mull over the options available to you in terms of getting it reliably mobile again and while pondering the fact that you could well live without the distinctive smell of gearbox oil on the driveway it dawns on you that the expense involved in repairing the engine could easily fund a more interesting driveline conversion.

Briefly outline the pros and cons of engaging in a Scrapyard Challenge-style exercise to substitute the standard K-Series for something less un reliable, more economical and meatier sounding. Acceleration and top speed should be considered irrelevant. Marks may be awarded or deducted as appropriate for careful use of the following key words and phrases: Toyota, Steptronic, Elise, Perkins, XUD, Hydracyclic, Bedford 500 turbo, Land Rover, Lada, gas turbine, Talbot (35 marks)

Ok, so the MGF had the 1.8 K-series lump, yah?

As did the Elise.

And then the Elise went to a 1.8 VVTI Toyota motor.

So, my reasoning is there must be bits out there to match the Toyota lump to the MG greasy bits (unless Lotus used whole new running gear).

That is for 5 points. For the remaining 30 points, "supercharge it".

The only limit on this is the space.

Someone claimed to have spent 3000 putting a VTEC in on an MGF forum. They are the same people who claim that putting a T-series in is impossible 'because it's the wrong way round' and because the turbo would make it overheat. You can put a turbo anywhere on the exhaust downpipe (even where the backbox is), it doesn't have to be in the engine bay. The subframe is excellent as it's very accomodating. I doubt you'd have much trouble doing that, there's about five mounts, and they're all unboltable and box section stuff. It's the body you'd have to modify, and the petrol tank is on the bulkhead.

I would personally put a C20XE in as they're exactly the same size, the same right way round and the engine mounts are in the same positions, you wouldn't have to cut the body up, and they last over 150,000 miles on tight fisted maintenance.

Turbo A-Series. Pure Old Skool...bored and stroked to 1380cc of course; Hepolite dished pistons, see-thro' cylinder walls, pointlessly hot cam, eats plugs... :twisted:

Seriously tho'; I wonder about the Nissan SR20. Or rather I did, when I had one stuck in the front of a dying Primera. Fairly compact unit, all alloy, tough. More to the point, it can be persuaded to make as much power as one can afford. Ideal for an MGF/Elise. Rather than chopping structural bits to force in a Honda K20... :shock: