Edinburgh on a Monkey - The story of buying a shite car

trigger

It's a shame that if they were to do an article like this today it would be crap reading. I.e....

Bought this 205 Diesel out of Gumtree for a shade over £300 with a long MOT...

47959040.jpg

Filled up with £50 of diesel.....

Drove to Scotland....

Drove home....

No drama or breakdowns.

We really are living in the golden age of cheap, usable cars. Rejoice!!!!

Here's a linky for the 205 in Manchester.

http://manchester.gumtree.com/mancheste ... 83464.html

lol - gr8 read but it would indeed be no challenge today - hell I've been using sub 1000 quid motors to clock up 1200 odd miles a week for years!

winning this would be easy - as you say - pug 205 for under 300 quid 1 tank of oil and trouser the change!

if you wanted more comfort I saw a hegh spec xantia tdi in north London 2 months ago for 250 quid with 6 months ticket and a years MOT

amazing how cheap loans over the last few years have devalued cars so much - mind you I reckon that with the new austerity in a couple of years time London to Edinburgh on a Monkey will once again be a challenge if only cos it will cost you 400 quid in fuel!!

I remember this one well from back in the day.

Over the years there have been a lot of "What to buy for £500" type articles in various magazines. It's amazing how rubbish those cars were even 30+ years ago, basically rusty, knackered old heaps with the odd gem cropping up.

I don't know how Trigger finds the energy to scan so much in. If I find anything over my forthcoming long weekend off work I'll try to upload them.

Certainly makes you think, we get any amount of 'Nnyyuuuurrrrrgghhhh....., modern cars.... are $hit,..... hhuuurrrgggh' windbaggery on here, but most 'moderns' look a lot more like viable transport at 11 years old than this Renner!!! There's no way you could expect a reliable 15k a year out of that shitbox.

GR8 SCANNING OPERATIONS TRIG, 17/10 WILL GO FAR

Yeah the 480 would do that run no problem.*

*So long as I could sort the brakes first. The new discs and pads all round only cost me £63, so I'd still be in the running after the initial purchase price. I wouldn't have anything left of the monkey carcass after I'd fuelled it though.