New shite - and XUD engine expert Q's...

r.welfare

OK, it's the usual story of fool + unexpected disposable income + eBay (no alcohol involved this time), but I've just collected this...

Posted Image

£140 of finest 406 1.9TD boat anchor, 230k on the clock and the tired motor has felt every one, but only 3 owners and MOT until the end of July. Not sure what the plan is for this one, but a service n' cleanup is first on the cards. I tell you what though, it's quieter and more comfortable than my 405...

Anyway - one of the reasons it was cheap is because it smokes (blue) on startup. Nowt wrong with that normally, my wagon does it on a cold startup and it clears eventually (bizarrely my saloon doesn't smoke - at all - which I can only deduce was a cockup at the factory). But this one still smoked a fair bit at idle after a 15mile, 20 minute run. It idles a bit lumpily, too. But it pulled well through the gears and there's no smoke when it's accelerating that I can see (plenty of soot when the turbo kicks in, mind).

So what gives?

No history of course so I don't know when it was last serviced (I suspect - a long time ago), or how old the DERV is in the tank. These can be easily rectified once I tax it. Haven't even checked the oil level in case it's been overfilled.

Interestingly the temp gauge didn't really move above 70 either, so I wonder if it's chucking more fuel into itself because it thinks it's cold - I'll change the thermostat as a matter of course, and see if these XUD9TE's have some kind of cold-start enrichment device...funnily enough there's no advisories on the last MOT either...although the previous MOT mentions "injector return pipe from no. 3 injector in poor condition". Leakoff pipes perchance?

What a bargain! it does sound that its over fueling, which seems to effect a fair few XUD powered vehicles, I'm forever finding myself following one of said vehcles and chocking on the unburnt fuel clag eminating from its zorst. I think the problem could well be with cold start fuel enrichment gubbins, sort that and the dodgy fuel leak off pipes and give it a good service and you should have it sorted :wink:

i thought it was a bit less refined,it made a difference to an old marea i had,i was just chucking in my ten bobs worth.

Might have been the dirty tank you were getting it from, rather than the fuel itself. :wink: Does the 406 TD feel a lot slower than your 405s welf'? I have a friend who's constantly lamenting buying one because it's so sluggish compared to the TD 306s, ZXs and 405s he's driven.

Worralorra replies! I've been out getting high in the garage on 405 Sorrento Green paint fumes while all this has been going on - excellent!

Does the 406 TD feel a lot slower than your 405s welf'? I have a friend who's constantly lamenting buying one because it's so sluggish compared to the TD 306s, ZXs and 405s he's driven.

Yes, it seems a fair bit slower than the 405 saloon on in-gear go Mind you, there's no revcounter in this boggo L-spec HALLO RADIO TAXIS 406, so I have no idea when the turbot-charger is cutting in - other than the cloud of soot. The 405 saloon is an absolute RS500 compared to the estate, mind, but even so the 406 would lose the 3-way drag race I reckon. Might be that the 406 had the catalysed version of the 1.9TD motor (I think very late 405s did too) which robs a few horses and lb feet.

it does sound that its over fueling, which seems to effect a fair few XUD powered vehicles, I'm forever finding myself following one of said vehcles and chocking on the unburnt fuel clag eminating from its zorst. I think the problem could well be with cold start fuel enrichment gubbins, sort that and the dodgy fuel leak off pipes and give it a good service and you should have it sorted

This is what I'm hoping. I have been able to establish that blue smoke generally = oil burning though, but not specifically to XUDs. Could be something as simple as superrunny oil, or too much of it. I dunno. Thermostat change and service first methinks. I might lob in some Wynn's piston seal/stop smoke/snake oil stuff too.

may I have one last cigarette?

NO SMOKING IN MY CAB PLEASE. And hatefully dull - this coming from the man who likes Volvo 240s? :lol::lol::lol: