Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New shite - and XUD engine expert Q's...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   r.welfare

r.welfare

Lee 'Scratch' Perry

• Full Members
  • 3,988 posts
  • LocationUP YOURS DELORS

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

OK, it's the usual story of fool + unexpected disposable income + eBay (no alcohol involved this time), but I've just collected this...

Posted Image

£140 of finest 406 1.9TD boat anchor, 230k on the clock and the tired motor has felt every one, but only 3 owners and MOT until the end of July. Not sure what the plan is for this one, but a service n' cleanup is first on the cards. I tell you what though, it's quieter and more comfortable than my 405...

Anyway - one of the reasons it was cheap is because it smokes (blue) on startup. Nowt wrong with that normally, my wagon does it on a cold startup and it clears eventually (bizarrely my saloon doesn't smoke - at all - which I can only deduce was a cockup at the factory). But this one still smoked a fair bit at idle after a 15mile, 20 minute run. It idles a bit lumpily, too. But it pulled well through the gears and there's no smoke when it's accelerating that I can see (plenty of soot when the turbo kicks in, mind).

So what gives?

No history of course so I don't know when it was last serviced (I suspect - a long time ago), or how old the DERV is in the tank. These can be easily rectified once I tax it. Haven't even checked the oil level in case it's been overfilled.

Interestingly the temp gauge didn't really move above 70 either, so I wonder if it's chucking more fuel into itself because it thinks it's cold - I'll change the thermostat as a matter of course, and see if these XUD9TE's have some kind of cold-start enrichment device...funnily enough there's no advisories on the last MOT either...although the previous MOT mentions "injector return pipe from no. 3 injector in poor condition". Leakoff pipes perchance?

2003 Renault Espace IV 2.0 petrol - living up to its reputation...

#2 OFFLINE   Torsten2001

Torsten2001

• Full Members
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

Well it looks like a staggeringly good buy, shite only because of it's mileage but I must say, and this is my honest opinion, Pug 405/406's are hatelully dull...may I have one last cigarette?

#3 OFFLINE   Dead_E23

Dead_E23

• Full Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:53 PM

My guess is that there's something up with the valve stem oil seals - like they're not there or somefink.

#4 OFFLINE   fiatdaft

fiatdaft

• Full Members
  • 1,729 posts
  • Locationbaw deep

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

check it for red diesel!

#5 OFFLINE   Milford Cubicle

Milford Cubicle

• Full Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

What difference would red diesel make to running? :roll:

#6 OFFLINE   fiatdaft

fiatdaft

• Full Members
  • 1,729 posts
  • Locationbaw deep

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:00 PM

have u ever tried it?

#7 OFFLINE   bigstraight6

bigstraight6

• Full Members
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationPlymouth

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

What a bargain! it does sound that its over fueling, which seems to effect a fair few XUD powered vehicles, I'm forever finding myself following one of said vehcles and chocking on the unburnt fuel clag eminating from its zorst. I think the problem could well be with cold start fuel enrichment gubbins, sort that and the dodgy fuel leak off pipes and give it a good service and you should have it sorted :wink:
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Milford Cubicle

Milford Cubicle

• Full Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

have u ever tried it?

My dad used to run his 305 diesel van on it and it made no difference, it's just normal diesel with a dye in so it can be recognised by authorities, no?

#9 OFFLINE   fiatdaft

fiatdaft

• Full Members
  • 1,729 posts
  • Locationbaw deep

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

i thought it was a bit less refined,it made a difference to an old marea i had,i was just chucking in my ten bobs worth.

#10 OFFLINE   Mr_Bo11ox

Mr_Bo11ox

• Full Members
  • 21,435 posts
  • LocationUttoxeter/Derby

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

Excellent work there R. Fine_Fare! Looks perfect for a bit of late night unlicensed taxi usage.

PIGEONZ NEST

CHECK OUT MY AWARD-WINNING SHITE-FIXING BLOG HERE

"THE 2.3 POWERTRAIN IS A SILENT IS AS A FISH, AND IT PULLS LIKE A GREAT"
"The engine has airbrushed skulls on it"

"Car shows are full of mentals talking tosh"

#11 OFFLINE   Milford Cubicle

Milford Cubicle

• Full Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

i thought it was a bit less refined,it made a difference to an old marea i had,i was just chucking in my ten bobs worth.

Might have been the dirty tank you were getting it from, rather than the fuel itself. :wink: Does the 406 TD feel a lot slower than your 405s welf'? I have a friend who's constantly lamenting buying one because it's so sluggish compared to the TD 306s, ZXs and 405s he's driven.

#12 OFFLINE   pogweasel

pogweasel

• Full Members
  • 8,493 posts
  • Locationnearly there.

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

Excellent work there R. Fine_Fare! Looks perfect for a bit of late night unlicensed taxi usage.

I agree. Just add rohypnol!

#13 OFFLINE   mk2_craig

mk2_craig

• Full Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • LocationIT'S CLEAN THE PLATES HAVE BEEN CHANGED THAT'LL BE $7438.

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:22 PM

Seeing as it sounds like £140 is just about its scrap value, that's a fantastic buy, clag or not. Well done.

1984 Ford Fiesta XR2 - Devaluing the neighbourhood since 2008

Nottinghamshite
Channel Island Cack
Everywhere Else

#14 OFFLINE   r.welfare

r.welfare

Lee 'Scratch' Perry

• Full Members
  • 3,988 posts
  • LocationUP YOURS DELORS

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:15 PM

Worralorra replies! I've been out getting high in the garage on 405 Sorrento Green paint fumes while all this has been going on - excellent!

Does the 406 TD feel a lot slower than your 405s welf'? I have a friend who's constantly lamenting buying one because it's so sluggish compared to the TD 306s, ZXs and 405s he's driven.

Yes, it seems a fair bit slower than the 405 saloon on in-gear go Mind you, there's no revcounter in this boggo L-spec HALLO RADIO TAXIS 406, so I have no idea when the turbot-charger is cutting in - other than the cloud of soot. The 405 saloon is an absolute RS500 compared to the estate, mind, but even so the 406 would lose the 3-way drag race I reckon. Might be that the 406 had the catalysed version of the 1.9TD motor (I think very late 405s did too) which robs a few horses and lb feet.

it does sound that its over fueling, which seems to effect a fair few XUD powered vehicles, I'm forever finding myself following one of said vehcles and chocking on the unburnt fuel clag eminating from its zorst. I think the problem could well be with cold start fuel enrichment gubbins, sort that and the dodgy fuel leak off pipes and give it a good service and you should have it sorted

This is what I'm hoping. I have been able to establish that blue smoke generally = oil burning though, but not specifically to XUDs. Could be something as simple as superrunny oil, or too much of it. I dunno. Thermostat change and service first methinks. I might lob in some Wynn's piston seal/stop smoke/snake oil stuff too.

may I have one last cigarette?

NO SMOKING IN MY CAB PLEASE. And hatefully dull - this coming from the man who likes Volvo 240s? :lol: :lol: :lol:

2003 Renault Espace IV 2.0 petrol - living up to its reputation...

#15 ONLINE   Richard

Richard

• Full Members
  • 10,113 posts
  • LocationScarfolk

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

I think a service and a damn good thrashing will help it no end.

#16 OFFLINE   Torsten2001

Torsten2001

• Full Members
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:36 PM

[quote name="Torsten1001"]may I have one last cigarette?[/quote]

NO SMOKING IN MY CAB PLEASE. And hatefully dull - this coming from the man who likes Volvo 240s? :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

240's? Dull? Why I nearly dropped my pipe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users