Banger Quiz

pompei

I had an AX diesel - no way, not EvAh did it do anything like 112mpg32/40 - a LOT of very lucky guesses.

What did you get from your AX diesel?There was a spate of economy runs around the early '90s, getting ridiculous figures like 80mpg from a 405 TD, and 100+mpg from a Charade diesel.I've been driving as slow as I can live with in my 405 and have only been managing 56MPG, they must have been doing 15MPH. :roll:

I have (or had) an early '90s edition of the Spotter's Book of Cars or some such publication. The author had been commissioned by Vauxhall to see if he could get 100mph and 100mpg out of the Nova TD. Apparently he managed 105mph and 103mpg - presumably crawling along at idle in 5th. I'll have to try it with the Rover some time - drive around without touching the throttle at all and see how many miles I can get to a gallon of veg oil. It's doing 30mph at idle in 5th so should work OK round town...

The Daihatsu record (which held from the 80s up until about 2003) was 109mpg on a journey around the UK, in the Charade 1.0 TD. A mate has had one in the past and the way he speaks of it, that isn't too unreasonable a figure for them to achieve.He is currently in the process of boshing one of his spare 1.0 TD engines into a Mini, should be nice and smoky.

What did you get from your AX diesel?

About 55 MPG on a good day, 50 on a bad day and low 30's when it developed a injector leak and pissed diesel all over the engine. Mine also had a voracious appetite for driveshafts.

I don't think he's too worried about upsetting the Mini scene!The funny thing is that on paper it sounds like it'll be pretty quick as it has 70hp stock and is lighter than the A-series to boot! Will be brilliant to thrash some typical "Cooper stripes and fat arches" example from the lights, leaving them choking in the black smokescreen.

shite score of 19 - who cares about boot capacities, fuel tank sizes and the like? honestly?I am occasionally sad enough to try an "economy" run in a car just to see what I can get out of it... I managed 88 mpg from a mk2 fester diesel and a stonking 54mpg from a 2.0 DOHC carbed sierra on a 155 mile run, which I felt was fairly impressive!?I've never managed to coax really impressive figures out of any of the old man's Pujo diesels for some reason?