Shite Road Test Scans - Austin Ambassador HLS - Rover 2000 SD1 & Saab 900 GLS 1982

trigger

Following on from Bolloxs great French magazine scan thread i thought I'd follow up with a few of my own from 'back in the day' as such.

This is something I've been thinking about doing for a while now, I know many of you have seen them before on Flickr but i thought this would be a good opportunity to talk about them.

As an ode to Bol's thread i thought I'd start with the Renault 6 from when it was new (1974).

post-3625-0-95296000-1380815185_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-29338000-1380815188_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-64930900-1380815190_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-65515100-1380815192_thumb.jpg

post-3625-0-37079900-1380815195_thumb.jpg

Cheers for that Lord_Trigsworth. Interesting - it says that the TL was not brought to the UK until 1973, but mine's a TL and that's a '72. The power output also conflicts with the Gazoline test, which said that the power went from 48 to 50.5 bhp when the facelift came in. I wonder which is right? It's also strange that the fuel consumption should be so much better when they've lowered the final drive ratio. :?

The other thing I find odd is that it says the wipers are single-speed - my dad's (facelift) TL definitely had two-speed wipers, and mine would appear to as well as there are two detents on the rocker switch, although only the faster speed works at the moment.

I always thought the Renault range in the 70s was a bit odd.

You had the 4/5/6 all competing in the same market sector, then the 14 came out in 76 but didn't replace the 12. At the same time, the 20 came out to replace the 16, but the 16 continued for another four years anyway.

Eh? :?

Cheers Trigger.

One of my favourite features of the Autocar tests was the 'Speedo' MPH. Quite interesting to see the difference and how it varies car to car, I'm there's one from the 90s that registered 131mph at 110! Unfortunately they dont bother with that bit in their roadtests these days - Rather ill thought out (or they were told to stop doing it?) when you think of all the speed cameras we have these days...

Thanks for that Trigger,

I learned to drive and took my test in my old man's HL.

Noisier than the single carb indeed, it made sensational exhaust & induction sounds.

My dad had a Morris 1000 as well, the Maxi felt like driving a missile in comparison and in hindsight I probably thrashed it without mercy.

It was repaired ((Major & Barnes) after being rear-ended by a Barton bus and was replaced a few years later by a Datsun Cherry

an N10 I think, the completely gutless one with the hatchback which followed the F11.

Thanks guys, I still have 100's to go through, I'm just trying to find the enthusiasm to get started again, i might do a few more in the minute in fact.

As per Warrens request we have the 1980 road test of the range topping Talbot Alpine SX with cruise control!.

5162311120_470f379d11_b.jpg

5161706951_7c0681fdc2_b.jpg

5162313564_c8118d393c_b.jpg

5161709041_25549b0bdb_b.jpg

I have the Volvo 760 GLE, Turbo, 740 Turbo, Estates petrol vs Diesel, 265 GLE Estate, 244 GL, a 740 Group test with Renault 25 and a Rover 2300 SD1... actually I have lots more group test with 740's as well!

Volvo-rific stuff! :D

I presume that the 760 GLE test is from 1982, the year of the car's introduction? I'd love to see it :)

Guest Leonard Hatred

Scanning is a real chore, great work trigger. These are great for passing an idle moment.

By the way, is there a better way to view them on flickr? I find I have to select 'all sizes', read, click back, to the next one, 'all sizes' again, and so on. It's a bit of a faff.

Scanning is a real chore, great work trigger. These are great for passing an idle moment.

By the way, is there a better way to view them on flickr? I find I have to select 'all sizes', read, click back, to the next one, 'all sizes' again, and so on. It's a bit of a faff.

Open each page in a new tab, click all sizes on each and then go to the first page and read the them in order tabbing as though you were turning pages.

Superb work. I wonder if, somewhere in some remote, rural county, Cornwall perhaps, there's a Talbot dealership still open, unaware of the war finishing?

I have a 1986 Peugeot-Talbot 'Dealer Location Map' which lists the name and address of every dealer in the country! I don't know how to scan it, but I was thinking of typing it up!

I have a 1986 Peugeot-Talbot 'Dealer Location Map' which lists the name and address of every dealer in the country! I don't know how to scan it, but I was thinking of typing it up!

I'd like to see that, i'll have a look and see what's left of the ones up here.

If you can't scan then why not try photographing it?