Thankyou Citroen...

bigstraight6

Isn't the television advert for the new Citroen C5 just wonderfully original? in which the message is that the looks and quality would suggest that its German built, a refreshing and memorable change from most current car manufacturers adverts that are instantly forgetable usually because of the eco friendly green undertones :roll::lol:

Saw this last night, it struck me as a little sad that the only way a European manufacturer who isn't German feels they can sell cars is to say to everyone "Hey our cars are bordering on German now, perhaps somebody will buy one!".Seems to smell of 'If you can't beat them, join them!' Typical French white flag waving! :roll:

I thought the sausages were bordering on racism! Witty commercials are always made by British people (only the British having any sense of humour, irony, etc.)

We liked the shivery, singing dog - but now he's been banned. Not that you saw much of the actual German car (made in Portugal) product of course.

Anyway, Citroens WERE made by the Germans...

(Between 1940 and 1945).

It was in the Mail on Sunday on, er, Sunday. Someone in Animal Rights said it was 'cruel'. They interviewed the dogs' (actually two of them) owner/trainer, a Californian, who explained that they were fine, trained to act, etc. The argument was that they were shivering with fear, though he explained it as 'excited anticipation'. The dog in the car was actually on a vibrating tray. (Actually I wouldn't mind going on a vibrating tray). Anyway.

Advertising, schmadvertising.What about ads for cars that almost nobody can possibly afford? One theory is that the car company also makes reasonably-priced Futureshite, the idea being that a punter will be so impressed by the supermegacar that they'll go out & purchase the shitter. Same with F1 "cars" - people buying Clios are assumed to be thinking about the wingless aeroplane that whizzes round meaningless places like Bahrain and is made & maintained by a bunch of Brits in Oxfordshire. Oh, and financed by the French government via their taxpayers.

Seen the Citroen ad on TV a couple more times, possibly at absolute peak time (i.e. around Coronation Street during the dear little David Platt saga with 60m viewers). The smiley blond man in a silly-ish costume fights a duel in the snow with a baddie. He cuts the feather off his hat and gives an extra silly smile before jumping into the product, outside of which you see briefly. Beautiful admiring blonde girl in traditional costume. He drives off still looking smug. A sign in gothic lettering says BERLIN 105km. (They have cut the scene where blonde beauty with fine bosoms & cleavage serves him sausages). He arrives in Berlin and parks in front of the Brandenburg Gate. It has banners with the modern German flag colours (har, har. Last time I saw such banners there it was the '36 Olympics & they were definitely swazzies!). He gets out of car, still grinning like an idiot, then you get the product shot and the joke about it being a German car 'Made in France'. Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries, known to the masses as The Apocalypse Now Music. All most amusing, but it doesn't make a French car as good as a German one, though as Citroen did produce the Traction Avant & the DS (and the 2CV for that matter), they might be forgiven...

I hope that they are not trying to model it on the Reliability of the PASSAT which at the moment is absolutely dreadful.Every day I watch as the local recovery guy brings a new model PASSAT back to the dealers with handbrake/fuel pump problems :o

I have first-hand experience of the old C5, a 2.2HDi Exclusive which was absolutely huge inside and one of the most comfortable cars I've ever ridden in. Marvellous. On the reliability front, various bits (headlamp washers and trim) did drop off at regular intervals, but the critical bits kept on working.

Whilst I agree that french cars in general have some reliability issues historically and a bit of a poor reputation, it always seems to be minor faults. My friend has had a string of french cars... Citroen ZX Volcane, Megane Coupe, Clio 172, Clio 182, Pug 306 boringmobile, a brief fling with a mondeo and now back on the hunt for a 205GTI. Each and every one has had little niggles, even the two Clios which were new off the forecourt. Back into the garage more often than I'd feel happy with but for stuff like 'there's a noise from the dashboard' and 'the front wheel clonks on full lock, over a bump, every other friday'.Yet other folk I know with these good old German cars, seem to find that the newer they are the more failures they have. and we're talking proper failures, ones that mean you're towed to the garage. BMW 3-series that ate it's gearbox at 40k. Passat that broke a strut for no reason. Sharan with endless electrical faults. Mk5 Golf that's been in for more paintwork that most banger racers!I personally would rather have a squeaky dashboard than a full-blown failure of a £2k gearbox.....