Xedos!

Here is a Xedos 9 which I've polished up a bit. Pics courtesy of Vicsmith as it is his stock. It is lovely, but as a huge and relatively obscure luxury Mazda, it surely qualifies as Autoshite.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks to an agreeable insurance quote, I can't get this sodding thing out of my head. It's plush as hell, grey leather, cruise control, aircon, etc. and features a super smooth V6 and slushbox combo for maximum waft.

I'm increasingly tempted to sell the Cuore TR-XX and bosh this into the fleet, but I'm just not sure. I assume the mpg will be ludicrous, but I could probably live with that as I have the rest of the fleet to back it up.

Any experience of these big old beasts?

Lovely cars, I would guess expensive to fix if something goes wrong but then, it is Japanese.Xedos was Mazdas more upmarket saloon, a bit like Toyota's Lexus I guess but they still kept the Mazda name. Thats a 9 I believe and they also did a 6.

Correct! Xedos was just for the European market I think.I must be getting old, wanting to get rid of a turbocharged "hot hatch" so I can move up to an executive slushbox.Prefer pottering around in old motors, but it has some baffling charm I can't quite figure out.....

Probably not! I could never quite understand why they used a Lexus IS in the second series, I'd have thought an LS would be more his cup of tea!

Well, I've been thinking about it, have slept on it, spent more time thinking about it and have finally made a very tough decision.

The Xedos 9 is a superb car. It'd inevitably end up stealing the position of the Galant as a daily driver (of which it is temporarily relieved of its duty, Cuore taking over). It is in really smart condition, meaning I'd have no real work to do on it - incredibly convenient, but not as fun for me in the long run.

Conclusion: I will own a Xedos 9 in a decade, when they are nearly extinct and sit in a similar level of obscurity to the Charmant. I'll wish I'd got one at the time, as they'll probably all be rotten and falling to bits by then, but I can sit on eBay (OF THE FUTURE) and source bumper brackets and toss like that and feel like I've accomplished something. It can then sit between my Hyundai XG30, Nissan QX and whatever other daft motors I've got at the time.

However, all is not lost! Here is PLAN B. I'm still going to sell the Cuore. Probably in a few months when I've got it looking more respectable. Cracking car, but it just isn't for me - it's a full-on boy racer car and I genuinely prefer pottering around to going on a thrash. I expect it'll fetch me about £2K, which I'm going to plop straight into a savings account. I'll occasionally chuck extra cash into said savings account to increase the funds a little. I'm 24 in a few months - when I hit 25, insurance will take a hit and I will finally be able to afford private imports.

Meaning I can get stuff like this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So it is obscure private import time, but I'm going to have to wait. Don't know what it'll be yet, but we'll see eh! I'm going to tick as many "Hirst" boxes as possible, so look forward to lashings of chrome, digital dashboards, wine red interiors, etc.

In the meantime I will tinker with my existing fleet and have a play with anything else cheap that comes my way, since I'll have a little more money freed up for tinkering.

However, back on the original topic - if anyone wants a Xedos 9, I'd advise you to contact Vicsmith ASAP as you'll really struggle to find one as low mileage and tidy as his. I'm going to drop him a PM and order him not to sell me it, as once I've had a few drinks I'll probably change my mind again.

Great isn't it - most people have the "heart says yes/head says no" argument with expensive classics, muscle cars, etc. I get it with the Daihatsu Applause.

Any idea which engine that Xedos has? According to Wikipedia they came with a choice of two, one of which was a 2.25 litre Miller cycle V6. In my book that scores a bazillion shite points for its combination of mechanical bravery and sheer oddness - it's almost up there with the Alfa 6, the Subaru SVX or the Commer 'knocker' engine, with the bonus that it'll probably never go wrong.