Current price of scrap

M'coli

Hello every one, new to the forum so i thought it only proper to say hello on my first post as there's no intro section.From what i've been told only factory fitted cats fetch good money, not sure what the difference is.Batteries are good money as is copper brass and stainless.Weighing in is what you do with metal, scrapping involves de polluting and removal of plastics and rubber etc.Alloy wheels are about a tenner each.666 plates are quite desirable among the max power lot so is might be worth selling it or putting it on retention whilst it still has test on it if the cars going for scrap.

Got to admit that I usually take my dead batteries and body panels (!) down to the local council recycling centre. I'd like to think that the money they make from them reduces my council tax, but that's probably just wishful thinking...

well that will no doubt please the authorities getting rid of all these nasty unsafe ,polluting old cars think it is a shame as i cant rescue cars from scrap/car dealing friends in the trade without having to pay serious money :shock: local price for cars has just risen to £105 a ton there was a complete v6 manual 300 ? zx nissan coupe stacked on the pile waiting to be shredded last week along with loads of N, P, R, S, reg vectras ,toyotas, vitara etcmaybe we should start sitting out side taking pics as this will be their last sightings ?or would that be like going big game shooting with tethered wild animals and considered unsporting

kinda typical how this ended up in the knackers queue..was probably driven out of late grand pa's garage down in Ashburton [sh island] by a student...no reg or warrant..driven up to Wellington via the interisland ferry..lived in on the Wellington streets..got to the bottom of the tank where it sucked up a load a sediment..conked out..abandoned...council hit it with the removal order..arrived in Porirua where my mate works..it got picked up by a forklift by some twat so sustained a bendy bumper and a squishy wing..my mate called me and i got a stay of execution and i dont think we paid anyfing for it..now we need to bring it up to Wangaui cos its haunting a mates garden whoops! Gentleman writing in PractlClasscs proclaimed his was the ye oldiest in world being a 62..well sah..we beat ya to it cos dis Auntie to ya mutha is a 61 Mk1A...like that..interiors mint as well...

Got to admit that I usually take my dead batteries and body panels (!) down to the local council recycling centre. I'd like to think that the money they make from them reduces my council tax, but that's probably just wishful thinking...

Panels? I should be so lucky!! Even with the price of metal going through the roof, my council tip refuse to take anything car-repair-related..... panels, wheels, anything. I've been forced to take an old door back home, chop it up, hide it inside some carpet and take it back in black bags! And headlamp glass just about fits in the bottle bank.....However we do still have the scrapman doing the round here.... he's taken pretty much everything I needed him to. Although I blame him for two VW Type3 doors going missing out of my secured back garden.....

Our local tip has some pretty draconian 'official' rules.EG. No commercial vehicles & no more than one sack of rubble per household per month. I once bowled up with about a ton of bricks & rubble in the back of my land rover pick up. The gaffer didn't bat an eyelid (though there was some mild banter), even lent me a broom to sweep it down after. Then again he's an old motor man (has a lovely Bedford J-type pick up and others) so we quite often have a chinwag about stuff. Also any decent metal or motor bits he always says "over there" i.e. away from the frag feed. You know where it goes. ;):)

Must admit that I am referring to one of these recycling centre-type tips, i.e. a dozen containers each labelled up for specifics, e.g. iron/steel, wood, cardboard/paper, plastics etc. Plus the usual batteries, oil bins etc. I don't go to the nearest "standard" tip any more - access is terrible, always massive queues and it's completely disorganised to a dangerous degree - in fact a punter was killed by a JCB there a few months ago. Apparently they've rejigged the layout but it's still just as bad...The fellers up at the recycling centre seemed quite happy to receive my two front wings last week, gonna take the old bent bonnet up there as soon as I receive my headlamp lens so the 405 wagon is road-legal again. Might resort to chopping up the bent bumper with a circular saw first, though.Sorry to hear about the 245 Wuvvum.