Current price of scrap

M'coli

One question I have - what's the crack with weighing something in - I've never done it (and don't intend to), but you never know...Presumably your regular scrappy/breakers gives you nowt or a token amount, but I understand the guys with the weighbridges pay better - what do you have to remove from the car to get top dollar (I'd heard fuel, oil, water and tyres)?

Yup, pretty pricey, though if Brown has big enough bollocks to stop all trade with the Chinese (here's hoping) that may change. It's why literally anything not nailed down goes walkies: round here the dids have managed to snaffle untold manhole covers, gates off the railway level crossing, farm trailers, old tractors, and even several empty shipping contianers all within the last couple of weeks.

Some bods came round to offer me some money for my car the other week and i said 'give us £50 and its yours'. They bit my hand off, wish i had said £80.Scrap has gone up loads in the last couple of years, i could not shift my Pug 309 for love not money a couple of years back (sold it for £13 on e-bay and they still decided they did not want it!) but its loads now.Have been told of people in Leeds coming home to find their autoshite gone. Thieves are just towing it away to scrappies. Nobody questions anyone taking away a Rover 800, like they would a new Audi, but its still £100 for nowt. How many of them can you do a day? If its old and sat on a drive with no battery it probabaly does not have a working alarm either.Its crazy that i am more worried about my old cars than my new one. Thieves cant move a new car, but the old one is easy money.

Our local yard will collect a car and give you £100 while his neighbour gives £125 for cars driven in.

£100 In the local yard-but only if it has a cat converter. Quite a few shiters/unused cars have been nicked by pikeys round here I assume its a national trend :cry:

Yeah, but ours is either anodised or powder coated, so is more hassle.

Ah, I see.How much does it take to make the ton anyway?I usually get about a fiver for a black-bin-liner full.I'm guessing a skip holds a couple of tons?

our local council junkyard got sold recently so the first thing that arrived was a mobile crusher..on the next visit the Vivas ,Wolselys ,Standards ,Zephrys and all the ancient stuff had gone..which was understandable cos they yielded nowt and theres a small joke about the quality of British steel versus the 'modern' int. stuff....my mate works in the biggest scrappie in wellington..they have the council contract to remove anything unregd n unwarranted...but he makes a point of saving all the old stuff n putting it down the back...we got a 1961 Mk1A Rover P5 that way..another mate here in wanganui cleans up old farms...somtimes theres 20 cars hiding in the blackberry..and he takes truck loadsa copper .lead u name it down to wellington..and creams it!

So how do you go about cashing in batteries or a CAT? I just take batteries to the council dump normally.I have a calibra to scrap... the local yard - nobles in kirkcaldy is paying £125 per car, but as i want the wheel s off it i think ill have to take it to the weigh bridge instead where no doubt i'll get a fair bit less.

So how do you go about cashing in batteries or a CAT? I just take batteries to the council dump normally.I have a calibra to scrap... the local yard - nobles in kirkcaldy is paying £125 per car, but as i want the wheel s off it i think ill have to take it to the weigh bridge instead where no doubt i'll get a fair bit less.

You'd probably find they'd be happy to let you take the wheels as it costs them to get rid of the tyres...

just to add my thoughts here if the price of scrap cars go any higher everything that we are all in love with here (except over valued "classics" will end up crushed complete) people wont bother with ebay for our rarities if scrap is instant payout locally to me at EMR shoreham they are paying £85 a ton for end of life vehicles on the weighbridge i have been told at Erith near dartford tunnel they are paying £130 a ton i have got an R11 and a Dreg espace i am driving both of which will probably end up crushed soon as the tax/ mot expires :shock: Ecologic Solutions 01494786122 ring me weekly trying to buy cats off me and are paying £60 min for genuine cats every week pickup trucks with shady characters call past my workshop trying to buy batteries and cats ,so have to keep everything hidden out of sight in case of after hours visits

suprisingly an espace weighs about 1.3 tons only the outer skins are plastic around galvanised steel skeleton when i took one 6 months ago to another weighbridge as they were paying more at the time they tried to deduct money because of the plastic to which i replied as you are buying at ELV (End life vehicle ) rate per ton not my fault renault used less steel and at least theres no rust cars used to go as light iron until recent enviromental legislation now only authorised scrapyards get higher rate for de polluted cars

i have got an R11 and a Dreg espace i am driving both of which will probably end up crushed soon as the tax/ mot expires :shock:

How bad are they? Would there be no interest here - that's an early Espace with the reverse rake headlights no?