Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My New (Zealand) Shite - Epic* Commodore update.

Jack Duckworth

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#91 OFFLINE   Jon

Jon

• Full Members
  • 1,576 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNZ

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

Lovely car. If it was me, I'd leave the side skirts off.

yes leave them sill finisher things off IMHO

Thing is, I really hated them when I first saw the car for sale on Tradme because I didn't understand their function and thought it was some tragic chav attempt at a body kit. However, NZ roads aren't great and roads never actually shut for roadworks as the network isn't that vast, so their system of laying stones down on hot tarmac and using the general public driving over them at low speed as a means of washing the excess away does create a lot of stone chips, especially on a car with such pronounced barrel sides. You do hear them in action quite often but yeah, it does look a bit more ordinary without them. We'll see.

Is it going to be in a movie?

There's a local drama/film looking for early 1980's cars to use and a Commodore wagon was asked for, so since this is one of only a few remaining that hasn't been personalised so much, it fits the bill nicely. No idea how much use it'll get and productions often change their minds from experience so it may not get used, though it was a good excuse to get it out the garage and made available again. May hitch up the trailer to it and use it locally for collecting some firewood etc. whilst the V8 transplant motor is getting some attention.

• STUNO likes this

#92 ONLINE   STUNO

STUNO

Out of the rat race

• Full Members
  • 3,437 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationSouth Waikato

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:13 AM

I have been a Jon's a few times recently, helping with a few bits on the Visa. We have done such a good* quality* job of repairing* the sunroof channel which now does not leak that the words "Pebble beach restorations"  were uttered completely in jest. We also removed the tail lights which also let water inside, the reason was soon clear, years of mud built up. That cleaned and the lights refitted and Jon says the leaks have ceased. Good work Jon ! It is now dry inside apart from a few drops getting in round the front doors. We also got the radiator fan wired up and running from a dashboard switch so the overheating in traffic should be stopped. 

The Commodore, Back on the road now but 5th gear cannot be used without serious ear protection, I think Jon will leave that as new box will go in with V8 power,Jon has a choice of two for that.

Should he fit  GM Hydramatic 3 speed or 5 speed manual  ? Don't bother answering, you know which will go in !

Book your seats now for a film starring a blue Holden driven by the crims! maybe.

1994 Mazda Lantis

#93 OFFLINE   LC Torana

LC Torana

• Full Members
  • 980 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 16 October 2015 - 07:47 AM

Hope it's an episode of "The Brokenwood Mysteries", so we can be treated to a scene with the HG Kingswood.

Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, after you've criticized them, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

#94 OFFLINE   Jon

Jon

• Full Members
  • 1,576 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNZ

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

Aye, STUNO has been indispensable as unpaid labour of late, though as much time has been spent sat in the garage drinking coffee as applying our wondrous repairs. Currently, said Frog chodbin is not adhering to my attempts at sorting out the issues it has with non-functioning wipers (front and rear), temp gauge and speedo, though I did manage to revive the rev counter today and also undertook the very high priority task of repainting the speedo and rev counter dial arms orange after they'd faded. They're still wonky from having warped in the heat at some point though...

Hope it's an episode of "The Brokenwood Mysteries", so we can be treated to a scene with the HG Kingswood.

I had a day's work on Brokenwood a few months back and there was no sign of the Kingswood that day, though we made good use of the DOP's early Xantia, which had a starring role as the murder victim's car.

#95 OFFLINE   LC Torana

LC Torana

• Full Members
  • 980 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

I had a day's work on Brokenwood a few months back

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get Fern to woollard for you on the HG.

Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, after you've criticized them, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

#96 ONLINE   STUNO

STUNO

Out of the rat race

• Full Members
  • 3,437 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationSouth Waikato

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

That Visa's dashboard wiring seems to mainly consist of those cheap scotchblock thingys. Someone may have fixed it in the past !

1994 Mazda Lantis

#97 OFFLINE   Jon

Jon

• Full Members
  • 1,576 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNZ

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

OK, so electrical maladies with the Visa still haven't been resolved, therefore it's still not roadworthy, so of course I've taken the very urgent step of fitting a new home made headlining, as of course we all know that this is a major failure point when a car goes in for its test....

To recap, here's what it did look like:

IMG_6673%202_zpsyg06kyl0.jpg

IMG_6684_zpsu076cgqu.jpg

It was a result of the blocked drain tubes which had let standing water rust out the sunroof cradle and drain tubes, letting water deteriorate the glue and the fabric of the headlining material. It's got a floppy backing which is a sort of glass fibre reinforced cardboard, which was presumably light and cheap to build, much like most of the components that comprise a Citroen Visa. Obviously all headlinings were assembled all the same and then the ones with a sunroof cut-out were pressed out, meaning the material around the sunroof was always going to be prone to peeling away, having not been folded over the other side and stuck down. Damn you Citroen for not considering owners a mere 30 years down the line.

The backing was a bit more wobbly than first devised by Citroen due to a couple of tears and a few bits sticking to the glue on the roof, so a glass fibre kit was applied in an attempt to solve this, then all the flaky sponge was taken off and the material (£2-ish a metre in sale at ladies' hobby centre) applied directly to the backing, so I knew it wasn't going to give factory results. That said, at least it's folded around all the cut-outs, so should hopefully be a bit more durable, so long as the spray glue sticks! Here's a couple of not very interesting pics:

IMG_8835_zpsqvxn7hsl.jpg

Please excuse the shit tip that is my garage at the moment. And yeah, pretend you haven't seen that shoddy workmanship. Mrs_Jon did assist with the gluing, so I suppose I can divide the blame between the two of us, like a properly chivalrous man.

IMG_8844_zpsfiy9kl27.jpg

I've got to say that it actually looks quite good, especially as STUNO has mentioned, if you don't look up.... The only issue will now be that the dipped rear view mirror will have to be used again, as the old headlining was great at blocking out modern headlights/tailgaters and those who insist on using full beams when following you, once there's a gap anything beyond about 10 car lengths.

Next week, we should have another 'shiter on the scene to lend a hand with the electrics, then as a reward/pennance they'll get the use of it when it's roadworthy. Looking forward to a legal fang in it beforehand though, I must admit. It's been almost 2 years off the road!

• HillmanImp, Lacquer Peel and Asimo like this

#98 OFFLINE   hairnet

hairnet

• Full Members
  • 7,560 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

visa - git

need to do nz

• Jon likes this

#99 OFFLINE   philibusmo

philibusmo

• Full Members
  • 1,235 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationThe Moral Low Ground

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:05 AM

The headlining looks pretty sweet to me.

I'm now getting rather excited to clap eyes on this sexy beast.
  • Jon likes this

#100 OFFLINE   Jon

Jon

• Full Members
  • 1,576 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNZ

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:41 AM

Arrive with low expectations and you shouldn't be too put off - a pessimist is never disappointed, of course. I must admit that the general shape of it still excites me and it does look rather cool parked next to the Clio, if only to prove that Clios up until the mid-2000s were still actually quite compact cars. 

Now to tidy the garage, in an attempt to find all the tools not properly put away......

#101 ONLINE   STUNO

STUNO

Out of the rat race

• Full Members
  • 3,437 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationSouth Waikato

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:39 AM

Ok, I admit the headlining does look good now and my last viewing was before most of it was glued up. It certainly looked good with the cleaned carpets too. What a shame I was delayed on the way over last week and we could only drink coffee. I took the Mazda in for it's test on the way over and it passed with full marks, but the tester went for lunch for a hour while I waited !

1994 Mazda Lantis

#102 OFFLINE   hairnet

hairnet

• Full Members
  • 7,560 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

clio tho

lbhbh.gif

#103 OFFLINE   Jon

Jon

• Full Members
  • 1,576 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationNZ

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

Today (well, yesterday now), this happened:

31724085404_987a07a9a7_b.jpg

Apologies for the brevity in this update because:alcohol but bask in the internet coolness scale that is engine removal whilst boat on roof. 

• Capree, Danterzza and xtriple like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users