Price dropping tat.

Cavcraft

Reading the grumpy thread and the reference to a Merc losing fifty grand in a very short space of time made me think of a car I was 'window shopping' for at a dealer up the road from me.

52 plate Range Rover (new shape) dizzler, black with leather and all the toys £12,995. Now I know they're the weapon of choice for dizzy bints/footballers wives/gangsters/forty something fat baldy blokes, but that seems fucking cheap to me for a car that must have cost a small fortune new.

Are they really worth so little these days and anyone else got any cheap now, expensive new cars to add to the list?

BMW 7 series always look like good value used, compared to the original purchase price.

!!r0zQUwBm0~$(KGrHqQOKj!Eub(qc86kBL)P8Cz1ww~~_12.JPG

Exibit A, BMW 730d, thick end of £55k new, now on BIN on fleabay @ £17450.

Seems that a lot of the bigger stuff is suseptible to depreciation on a bum-twitching scale - Citroen XM springs to mind, probably due to to the fear factor of big bills later on.

BMW 7 series always look like good value used, compared to the original purchase price.

Jaw-droppingly ugly though.

The 6 series coupe's the same, there's a huge choice for under £20k and quite a few down at £15k now. Weren't they over £50k new?

Still wouldn't. :wink:

Now that some of these luxobarges cost upwards of £400 a year in road tax it is hardly surprising.

Older luxury cars were fine if you got a mileage rate or didn't actually travel many miles but i reckon that mega tax will deffo put off Terry from the dog and duck using an s class for trips to the cash and carry for hog lumps and as a result of this and the extortionate price of dino juice they are dropping faster than ever.

OOOOOOH! Time for a depreciation tat-fest, me thinks! These are the cars that didn't just drop in value...they plummeted in complete free-fall, hitting the ground at full throttle....

My nominations would be...of course:

talbot_tagora_r2.jpg

PLUS:

lancia_gamma_berlina.jpg

AND:

alfa6_03.jpg

THEN:

Kia_Magentis.jpg

AND MORE RECENTLY:

renaultlagunainsidesthum.jpg

2008_citroen_c6-pic-19744.jpeg

Any more?

I think the outgoing 7-series looks fantastic, particularly the back-end on the pre-facelift model.

1117-048-rear-3-4-480.jpg

Shame they bottled it and made it look a bit more conventional for the facelift (which still looks smart).

I am still not 100% on those bangle-7's, especially as the model before was well lush.

I have to say some of these exec machines are well tempting. There seems to be any number of [the afore mentioned] 7-series, newer shape S-classes, Audi A8's etc available for pretty much fuck all, less than you would pay for a similarly aged shopping cart. Got my eye on a pre-51 Saab 9-5 at the min though. 250bhp for just over a grand and a half. Get in.

Guest Leonard Hatred
Got my eye on a pre-51 Saab 9-5 at the min though. 250bhp for just over a grand and a half. Get in.

GR8 4 oil-sludging issues

I must say, I know we all like to call modern BMW drivers nazis, cunts, wankers, fascists etc etc etc on here, but I reckon the cars are proper lookers nowadays, (excludiong the footballers wives 4wd things which are freakin vile). The brand new 5-series is proper classy! I love to see them on the road. The bangle 7 series is where they started 'going in my direction' styling wise, I agree the pre-facelift was bettter mind you.

Guest Leonard Hatred

I reckon all the post-2001 BMWs are vile, but I like the recent Audis especially the A7. It has a classy 1970s wedge fastback look about it.

I reckon BMW cars (I'm not including the vans) look better the bigger they are, the Bangle-styling looks absolutely horrendous on the 1-series "notchback". The likelyhood of bad driving also drops as you go up the range - I can't even remember seeing a new-style 7-series being driven badly.

Agree with that Reg_Bo11.

I am particularly enamoured with the current 3-er coupe, which is so lush I caught myself gawping at one in ScotHall's window whilst stuck in a jam in watford the other night.

I was even more amazed when I checked the spec for the car I had been looking at, an M-sport 320 diesel... 177bhp, 280 torques[sic], and 145mph top whack, that's all gravy and pretty much par for the course, but the average fuel consumption is 58 miles per gallon. Fricking 58!!! That's awesome for a car that you know will be exceptional to drive and look devastatingly good. 58. Fifty-eight.

£27,995 though, so unlikely to find one in my christmas stocking for a few years like.

Guest Leonard Hatred
Agree with that Reg_Bo11.

I am particularly enamoured with the current 3-er coupe, which is so lush I caught myself gawping at one in ScotHall's window whilst stuck in a jam in watford the other night.

I was even more amazed when I checked the spec for the car I had been looking at, an M-sport 320 diesel... 177bhp, 280 torques[sic], and 145mph top whack, that's all gravy and pretty much par for the course, but the average fuel consumption is 58 miles per gallon. Fricking 58!!!

Only until the common fail, errr, fails.

This thread reminds me of a Citroen C5 estate that was on 'long term' test in Car some years ago. They drove it for a year and in those twelve months they reckoned it lost something like £8k :shock:

Judging by the prices of these on eBay nowadays, they're potentially a huge amount of load space for the money.

Is that a phaeton, seth? i don't think i have ever seen one of those FO REEL. Am i right in thinking that underneath the inflated passat body they are essentially the same as those very fast but exceptionally vulgar bentley coupes [as beloved by premier league footballers and proponents of rubbish music]?

Dont get me wrong they are marvellous machines, but much like most of aston martins offerings and the range rover sport i would be rather embarrased to be seen in one due the association with oafish sexpests who happen to be alright at kicking a ball about.

How much or little is a qp masser now by the way? the swoopy current sort. Now that is a properly class bit of kit.

Is that a phaeton, seth? i don't think i have ever seen one of those FO REEL. Am i right in thinking that underneath the inflated passat body they are essentially the same as those very fast but exceptionally vulgar bentley coupes [as beloved by premier league footballers and proponents of rubbish music]?

I someone who owns a wobbley 12 Faye-Tonne and runs it on a shoestring. I'm doing my best to keep in favour for when he flogs it (for £3.99) in five years.