Terrible 1st Post - Diesel Autoshite Wanted

rawy

Hi All,Been a lurker on here for a while & decided to register last night.I'm into my old fords & love finding old cars lying about.Had a fair bit of shite myself in the past :Renault 5 1.2Renault 19 1.4Various 1.6 & 2.0 Capri'sJaguar XJ6 Coupe 4.2BMW 5 Series 2.0Volvo 460 2.0Saab 900 2.0But Now I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to help me!I'm looking for a old diesel I can make a veg oil project out of. I want to try a car running on 100% veg oil.I'm looking for one of the following as cheap as free hopefully with a bit of ticket on:Pug 205 or 309 DieselCitroen BXOr anything else with a XUD Diesel DonkeyThe car needs to have a BOSCH Fuel Pump as these seem to be Veg Oil FriendlyI'm based in Preston, so anything local would be fantastic!I know this is a terrible first post, but please forgive me!Now I've got a logon I'll start snapping that autoshite round by me!CheersRawy

Bloody h*ll, what a terrible first post!Someone comes on here, lists a load of shite old motors they've owned, then tells us they're looking for another one - for as little money as possible!What sort of forum do you think this is Mr Rawy? Do you think we're a bunch skin-flints who like to perv over rubbish old vehicles or something?The cheek!(PS - if you find a BX estate, cheap as chips, and you don't want it, let me know. Ta! :wink: )

Thanks for your replies guys, I think the chances of finding any of these over here is quite slim! :Talbot Horizon DieselFSO Prima DieselLada Niva DieselBut if anyone has one, give me a shout!Rawy

Yes, welcome on board Mr Rawy. Just out of interest, where are you based, it sounds like you are not on these shores...Yeah, plenty of Franco oil burning stuff if you can get hold of it - BX (a personal fave of the Autoshite management, as it was my 1st car), various Pug's (305/505 ideally) etc etc. Even an early Cit Zx might fit the bill & be a bit easier to get your hands on.Like the sound of the project though, you must keep us updated as (if!) it progresses........

405 turbodiesel all the way. Cheaper than 306 and ZX, and still relatively easy to come by. A high-spec estate with a towbar and roof rails could be all the car you ever need - the boot is vast.Post K-reg 1.9TD's have Bosch pumps. I've been running a 50/50 mix of veg and DERV in my saloon for the last 3000 miles with no problems.Alternatively, you might want to ask Marty to help you find a BX, given he's a BX guru and not a million miles away from you...

Yes, welcome on board Mr Rawy. Just out of interest, where are you based, it sounds like you are not on these shores...

If we'd read his first post properly you would know he's based in Preston and I would know he's aware of the Bosch requirement. :oops:
Classic! There's something to be said for not skim reading! :lol: Welcome Rawy, the newcomers are a pouring in suddenly. The more the merrier! :D

That the 3-cylinder jobbie? I reckon it's too high tech for veg, so I would say no. Veg is much thicker than DERV at a given temperature, so it doesn't work with commonrail, high-pressure stuff - a bit like trying to blow liquid concrete through a peashooter!I'm still struggling with decanting a big barrel of veg into a 5L jerry can and inserting it that way, Milford Cubicle tells me Draper sell a rotary hand pump that makes the job easier.

I'm still struggling with decanting a big barrel of veg into a 5L jerry can and inserting it that way, Milford Cubicle tells me Draper sell a rotary hand pump that makes the job easier.

I've just bought a quantity of veg oil with a view to trying it out in the Rover, so if you do come up with anything let me know.

You can do it relatively easily with a jerry can - funnel into can, fill up with veg, transfer into tank. I stick some newspaper down so I don't get too much of a slick on the driveway, don't want the postman calling Claims Direct because he's slipped over! I did buy an oversize funnel with a flexible neck, but the neck is not quite long enough to allow close fitment into the tank and a sufficient bend to keep the head of the funnel upright. It takes an age to fill regardless.I'd also get hold of a spare fuel filter just in case - veg tends to clean out all the gum, tar and crud that tends to accumulate over time in the tank and fuel lines.I've just popped another one into my saloon - it did sometimes have a very slight hesitation felt when cruising at 70 - the old filter (which I fitted when doing a full service 3k miles ago prior to my first tank of veg) didn't appear visually clogged though.Not sure what pumps the VM diesel runs - but I'd stick with a 50/50 mix to start with, especially if we have Arctic conditions this weekend (I don't care as I'm off to Paris on Friday for a week). If it runs OK you can up the ratio.One plus side is the thicker viscosity of veg seems to make it easier to start - I'm pretty sure there's an air leak in a fuel line somewhere which means the fuel drains back into the tank overnight. Thicker fuel = less drainback, it seems!

(I don't care as I'm off to Paris on Friday for a week).

I'm sure I don't need to tell you to keep your camera poised! :wink:
No problem - I have my own camera for shite capturing purposes (shame my Australia thread got lost in the board purge).Unfortunately my wife has vetoed shite transportation, so my Peugeots must stay at home, and we take the Fabia instead. In fairness, it's very economical and has working a/c (my estate won't hold a vacuum in the system so the condensor, evaporator and/or seals are probably buggered, and it's the old CFC R12 gas anyway so my garage quoted £250+ to put it right...I said I'd open a window instead).Having said that, snow is forecast there for Saturday :roll: And I'm a bit concerned on the impact Operation Stack is having on the M20 as well...Good job all my money is being hoovered up for baby-related DIY or I'd be tempted to book an extra one-way ferry ticket for the way back and look for a Chrysler 180 while I was there :lol:

Not sure what pumps the VM diesel runs - but I'd stick with a 50/50 mix to start with, especially if we have Arctic conditions this weekend (I don't care as I'm off to Paris on Friday for a week). If it runs OK you can up the ratio.

They all have Bosch injector pumps, and the VM lump runs on veggy oil beautifully - the best of any of the diesel cars I've tried.