Do you have other non-car shite around the place???

retrogeezer

I did have lots of 80's/90's computertat, but have sold it all now. 286 laptops, Amigas, C64s, Spectrums, that kinda thing. Nothing beats Hunter on the Amiga in my estimation. These days I don't even have time to play my PS2 thingy (100% driving games only, natch).

I too have a hoard of old computer tat ... off the top of my headAtari 600XLSpectrum 48 ( rubber keys)Spectrum 128 ( rare pre - amstrad one with the heatsink on the side)Commodore 64Atari ST-E 1 megAtari ST-E 4 MegAtari Mega ST4Atari LynxCommodore Amiga A1200Sega MegadriveSuper NintendoSega SaturnNintendo 64Sega DreamcastSony Playstation 2and a couple of ratty old PC's that will be skipped shortly. I rarely fire up any of this stuff.. I just like owning it!! - Last retro gaming moment I had was when I dug out the spectrum a few months back for a quick game of "how to be a complete bastard" - sheer class.

:oops: Do you remember the old Amstrad computer? I subscribed to the monthly mag and spent days typing in numbers and dots which was supposed to play a game only for it never to work, you were guaranteed an apology in the next issue only to do it over & over again, used to store the info on cassette tape too oh what happy days.

My room contains enough old rubbish to put off even the most eager of ladies. Old DVDs and VHS tapes, car radios, cassette decks, VCRs, Minidisc players, enormous rear projection TV, etc. Most of the old games machines are packed away though, except the Mega Drive and Mega CD combo (classy first generation ones!) which sit under the TV. I've got my eyes open for a vintage ghettoblaster, but values are very high and I'm after a meaty full-sized heyday one which go for a fortune lately. Might invest in a classic Nakamichi seperates setup instead!

I have a real thing for vintage electrical goods, some of the stuff produced in the 70s and 80s had real soul to it. I loved when everything was brushed aluminium (or made to look like it) and was glad when the style re-emerged around the late 90s. That's not to say I'm not fond of woodgrain, black plastic, etc.

Another particular thing of mine is old digital watches, my main watch is a new old stock 1985 Citizen Ana-Digi Temp with more rubbish features than you could ever require:

Posted Image

Thinking of getting a new watch but I can't find any with more pointless features (until I find a Seiko TV Watch).

I also have an unfortunate affliction when it comes to old consoles. I've got two Sega Master Systems, a shitload of games, with light phasers, 3D Goggles the works.And a Game Gear and a Portable NES clone thing from Japan. It's really a rather useless hobby. Although since most games now are only a few quid on eBay it's not expensive. My collection has grown quite considerably.

I find myself forsaking modern stuff for old things more and more often of late. I ditched my Hifi I bought in 1999 for this lovely old Fisher system I found in a junk shop for £25. It sounds great...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I still break this out every now and then in a spare moment. Who needs a PS3 :lol:

Posted Image

Complete too. I even have the instruction booklets for it and the games...

Posted Image

I'd love to have a house full of obselete techno stuff and cool bits. However I have a house dominated by the other incumbents.Demented brightly coloured plastic toys everywhere, plus Er Indoors unending amount of clothes (how? why? so many!!1!), and add to the mix the clutter caused by two dogs (squeaky toys, jumbo packets of P.Chum etc) and there's just nowhere for my stuff to go. :cry: I should count myself lucky that I still have the odd corner to house my tools and magazine stash.

Especially pointless as coming from the USA it'll be NTSC and therefore won't work with european PAL broadcasts. Pity, becuase it's an interesting item.

Yep, not sure if they ever did a PAL version.Though, being shite, surely I should hold out for SECAM.

....I should count myself lucky that I still have the odd corner to house my tools and magazine stash.

Posted Image

A pile of magazines stashed in the corner of my house last night. All about to make a journey in Wuvvum's splendid (and slightly rusty) Transit to storage until after the move.

About the TV watch thing, I'm not really up on techno stuff but even if it was PAL wouldn't you need a digital box to get anything when they switch over?...

My dad used to have a Fisher stereo rather like yours Ed, I had the speakers off it for some years until I finally accepted that one of them was blown and bought some new ones. They're hooked up to a late '80s Pioneer amp and cassette deck, 1991 Technics portable CD player and a recently bought Project turntable - as this is completely unautomatic and made in somewhere like Hungary it qualifies as being old. There's also a Hitachi "Solid State" clock radio with digits that flip over (not LCD) and a mock wood case, indeterminate age on that one but I'd guess early '70s. Clock bit doesn't work any more...

I now have my box of recorded cassettes out of the loft, so last night I had stuff on which I recorded in 1985 off scratchy vinyl borrowed from Sudbury library. The scratches and bits where the needle got stuck are now as much a part of the LP as the tracks themselves.

Anyone want to have a crack at a JVC video player (VHS) that doesn't work 100%? Was a decent spec, I still prefer it to the current one. I really shouldn't move stuff like that, but it breaks my heart to take it to the tip.

My house is shite-tastic. It was built in the late 1960s on a private housing estate and owned by the RAF until we bought it last year. The RAF discourage DIY so the house retains many period features- as the estate agents say.The interior doors are the hollow plywood/chipboard ones that were popular in the 70s- in dark brown varnish. The sliding doors on the built-in wardrobes are the same, no mirrored doors here. No laminate flooring either- it's beige carpets all the way with lino in the kitchen and bathroom- all brand new. The kitchen may well be original, unfortunately it's about to get ripped out. The sink is a 1970s stainless job with TWO taps. I did manage to insist on the new sink having two taps though. There is a brand new 1980s Belling cooker, sadly not in beige.The paintwork is magnolia on all walls, white on all ceilings and white gloss on the woodwork.My favourite bit of all is the clockwork doorbell. I liked it so much that I paid £22.27 for a new one when it broke, direct from the manufacturer. Incidentally Dereve have a spectacularly shite approach to e-commerce. You hunt for a phone number on their website, then they tell you to send a cheque. :shock:

SL - hope that radiator wasn't on while your vinyl was stacked against it!

Good point! No, oil in the tank has pretty much run out and we're not buying the minimum amount at current prices as the new people don't want to contribute to it, so we're shivering (or bringing them up as I was, with no fancy central heating).When driving round I've taken to scouring the verges, especially after a windy day, to pick up odd bits of fallen wood for our fire. New place is well out in the sticks, so I hope to be doing more of that and reducing (eventually eliminating) our dependence on oil.

Guest greenvanman

When driving round I've taken to scouring the verges, especially after a windy day, to pick up odd bits of fallen wood for our fire. New place is well out in the sticks, so I hope to be doing more of that and reducing (eventually eliminating) our dependence on oil.

Ah, reminds me of when I used to live in a cottage heated only by a solid fuel stove that also powered a couple of radiators. My trusty R4F6 van was ideal for supplementing the coal with wood spotted in skips, stray pallets etc. I was often to be seen driving home with some large unwieldy bit of firewood sticking out of the flap above the rear door.

I was bitterly disappointed a few days ago when someone was offering a working Betamax video on freecycle, but I wasn't the chosen recipient :( Still got 20 or so of those neat little video cassettes with some good stuff on 8)

My house is shite-tastic. It was built in the late 1960s on a private housing estate and owned by the RAF until we bought it last year. The RAF discourage DIY so the house retains many period features- as the estate agents say.

Superb! My own home is built to Forces spec, unfortunately it's been in private hands since 1978 so all the period features have gone. Plenty of room though.Unfortunately the batteries on my camera have just died, otherwise I would have delighted you with my water softener shite - an excellent 1980's freestanding cylindrical unit called a "Rainsoft" which looks (and sounds) like a gigantic Soda Stream. The bloke we bought the house from left it here, it does the whole house automatically with a funky LCD display and touchpad much like the dashboard of an Aston Martin Lagonda. It lives in the garage and takes up so much room that it takes a deft driver to manouver a decently-sized motor in alongside it. I've scratched a couple of my steeds trying to avoid it...All my car magazines are currently in the loft as I am in the middle of shifting my "office" (aka 3rd bedroom) into the workshop behind the garage, to accomodate baby stuff. Bumsacks.