Sophistishite

wuvvum

Introducing my latest purchase...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Despite the badges, it isn't one of those. It's a Toyota Celsior - which from what I can tell is identical to an LS400 in every way apart from the badge snobbery. Oh, and the silly speedo that only reads up to 180km/h (don't worry, I have checked and yes the JDM speed limiter has ben removed). It has more buttons and gizmos than any car I've ever owned, BMW 750iL included. And being Japanese, most ofthem still work. In fact the only things I've found so far that don't are the display for the climate control (although this is less of an issue than the similar problem on the 166 as there are little lights on the buttons to tell you what it's doing anyway - the only thing you can't see is the temperature setting) and the massage function for the rear seats. My favourite feature (of the ones I've found so far) has to be the steering wheel which automatically rises up and pulls back out of your way when you take the key out of the ignition - presumably designed to ease the egress of fat American plutocrats. It's got air suspension too, which works fine and even has adjustable ride height. And it's comfortable, quiet, more than adequately fast and, when driven with restraint (which oddly I find myself doing most of the time - an unusual state of affairs when a wuvvum / 4 litre V8 interface exists) it's not all that bad on fuel. It's also supremely stable - not the last word in handling prowess but 120mph along an indifferently surfaced rural A road (that's a private A road, obviously) feels perfectly calm and composed - the 166 and the 900 at similar speeds on the same road bothr equire a firm two-handed grip on the wheel, where the Toyota is quite happy with just a relaxed couple of fingers. I'm really quite pleased with it - it's T&T'd until the end of July and I can see myself hanging on to it until then. I enjoy driving rattly, clunky old motors as much as anyone but sometimes it's nice to just get in, sink into the leather and waft. Now I've got a fun couple of hours (today is the first time I'll see it in full daylight - I picked it up on Monday night) figuring out what the rest of the buttons do... Oh, and trying to squeeze it throuhg a carwash - those aren't stone chips on the front valance, it's muck. And putting the Toyota grille and boot badge back on. Anyone got a Celsior badge lying around that they don't need?

Niiiiiiiiice. I like the moving steering column feature too. Impressed a younger RW when the LS400 first came out, and my dad managed to borrow one from his boss.All it needs is a proper horizontal rear 'plate and matching surround and no-one would tell the difference from a UK spec, speedo apart. Are these things slightly narrower than a normal LS400, or am I getting confused with other big Japs (JDM Serenas, Previas etc)?

Ooooh!I must say that Lexii have never stirred any emotion in me. However, as they are now available for about six quid I can see some appeal. Probably a much safer bet than a skanky S-class, at least up to the point where the electrics go bananas. Add some gold lexus badges and a glitzy tissue-box-holder for added corner-shop-proprietor-chic.

All it needs is a proper horizontal rear 'plate and matching surround

That may be but looking at the difference in the rear panel it appears like it would take a fair bit of work to look like the normal one! The extra paneling appears to be proper lights rather than just an extended reflector.

Yahoo Auctions Japan and Rinkya should net you a Celsior badge set fairly easily, let me know if you want a hand!I love the gold badges on some cars, those were actually an official dealer option! Because silver just isn't chintzy enough.

My dad has a Celsior same as this. The little screen not working is a very common fault that affects nearly all of them. He's not had much bother with his one yet and he's piled a fair number of miles on it.