New Jag

55bloke

Probably totally the wrong site for this discussion, but- has anyone noticed the T.V. ads for the new Jag? And does anyone else think it's total SHITE!!! Surely, one of the main attractions about Jags has ALWAYS been that, you knew they were Jags instantly, as soon as you saw them. They were instantly recognisable as Jags, right up to the current models. But the new one just looks exactly like all the other so-called exec barges on the market? No class, no style, surely it's commercial suicide?

Seen it, driven it, absolutely pisses over the competition, a proper drivers car which is rare, I'll be chopping my 530d Sport for one this year and I never thought I'd say that as after my E Class the BMW was a revelation, I'd like to think Jag have cracked it at last!

Drove past the Jag showroom yesterday in downtown southcentral Luton. Saw all these Mondeos parked outside. After a few seconds the penny dropped that these were some new model. Utterly dull-looking sell-outs. Disappointed. The end?The last few years has seen some cracking efforts from Jag. The X300 and whatever the current plutocrat barge XJ8 is were/are lovely, totally well proprotioned and visibly direct decendents of the original XJ's. The S-type may have been ugly on a stick outside and modelled on some random yank ford inside, but it was still a Jag, the heritage showed even if it was more pastische. Even the X-type I rather liked. Yes, it's a Mondeo underneath but it still -looked- like a jag, lovely hips like a lithe lady. In fact I will be actively seeking an X-type next time around as fambly chariots. I will find the fwd a bit "wrong" but a jag I like to look at and which can waft, but is user-friendly enough for Er Indoors has to be a good thing. New ones? YUK YUK YUK YUK O MATIC.

I saw one on the road a few days ago for the first time, and it looks so anoymous, in fact I had to do a double take to recognise it. Granted, it might be a fantastic drive, but it looks dull and has no 'family' identity unlike the 'S' and 'X' types of recent years.Even the most recent BMW's and Merc's retain a familiarity to the marque about them, which is all important for drivers of the prestige car, so no matter how well it drives it won't cut it in the image department and hence will not be a success.....

I think the advert is dreadful too, it looks like the sad day dream of a grey man suffering a mid-life crisis, who believes a primitive display of power will get him off with women much younger than himself. This may be a fair reflection of it's target audience, but I don't think they want it made quite so plainly obvious. As a 40 year-old Mercedes driver having a mid-life crisis, I know this!The car might be good to drive, but in this segment it's style and prestige above all. It looks like a big US Ford, it doesn't wash.

I think I will have to disagree - the new Jaguar XF - which by all accounts is a cracking car - was designed with the intention of making it a truly modern car without harking back to Jaguars of the past. Think about the Mk1/2 and the XJ6 when they came out in 1955 and 1968 respectively - they were modern cars in all senses of the word. The previous retro styling was putting people off - they were buying BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Lexus. Ultimately a lot of people don't want wooden dashboards etc.Making cars that looked like the last one (the current XJ8 being a case in point) resulted in nobody noticing that they had changed, and low sales.Jaguar needed to do this to survive. I think the car is the start of a long awaited revival of the brand.

Meh. Think it looks like a new Mondeo but have no doubt it will be a cracker. Hope it saves 'em. My old boss's facelift S-Type 2.7D was a bit of a belter when you got beyond the pastiched styling cues and cramped interior - creamy engine/autobox and an honest 40mpg. He's now replaced it with a manual 630i which gets about 22mpg...

they were buying BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Lexus

Probably because these companies have managed to update their designs and have a modern look but crucially without losing the'individuality' of the brand.BMW's, Audi's & Mercedes are instantly recognisable as a BMW, Audi or Merc. The new Jag just looks like any other euro big hatch.No way I could buy one anyway and even if I had the money I would not waste it on a car of that expense.

I fell into the same trap as pogweasel, I thought there was a load of Mondeos parked up outside the local Jaguar dealership

Exactly, why would you pay £35,000 for the base model XF to look like you are driving a Mondeo, especially when the top spec 2.5 Mondeo could be had for around £20k.

I don't hate the new Mond but it is spectacularly large, to the point of looking like it's under-wheelbased and under-tracked. We've got an aerial walkway between buildings at work, over the carpark, and a New Mond was parked next to an early Audi A8 yesterday that I could compare from directly above. I swear there's bugger all in it in terms of length and width. Stick any of the current crop of "midsize saloons" next to my 405 and it's ridiculous. Particularly the 407, which is less roomy inside!None of the current crop of midsize saloons are standout lookers - the 9-3 was nice before they went all Lexus-lights on it, and the new C-Class is OK if you get the sports grille.Bring back the Rover 75, I say.

I quite like the look of the new Mondeo - but then I own one so I suppose I would! Personally I don't think it looks anything like the Jaguar XF. Remember people in the 1960s said 'all modern cars look alike' and they were right in a way - think Hillman Hunter/Mk2 Cortina or Morris Oxford/Peugeot 404.As someone who has owned both a Rover 75, Mazda 6 and two generations of Mondeo the Rover 75 was by far the best looking inside and out.

The XF may very well be a good car. But it's another very good exec car is a market brimming with very good exec cars. We do not need another 5 Series/Merc/A6/Lexus competitor. That market has been sewn up, and the XF is the answer to a question nobody asked.What we DO need is a stunning 200 mph 2 seater sports car for around 45 grand - you know, another E Type - a sports car offering staggering performance and crowd stopping looks for silly money. In 1961, an E Type cost £2000 when a Mini was 500 quid and a Cortina Super £800.Jaguar is in desperate need of an image boost and the XF is not the car to do it. It's another perfectly nice exec saloon to blend into the M42 on a Friday night, and not something middle class, high earning young guys talk excitedly about in the pub on a Friday night because it's better han a Ferrari and they can almost,.......a-l-m-o-s-t afford one.I hope Ford go tits up for their arrogant stupidity. They deserve nothing less.